Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:23:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama's "Justice" Department wants to force you to decrypt your DjWVBeXx4ZHsvGME  (Read 5324 times)
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2011, 07:13:22 PM

I don't buy the 'James Bond' argument that you might resist torture until you can escape, be released somehow, or the torturers find better things to do. That might apply to .001% of cases, maybe.

I didn't imply you would be a magical Houdini who can escape any jail given enough time.  But prisoner exchanges happen all times in most wars, according to game theory this is often a rationally preferred decision for both parties.  Admittedly, I have never been tortured and don't have a clue what goes on in government torture camps, but I do know prisoner swaps occur all the time.  Just google prisoner swap or prisoner exchange.

I don't know about you, but I intend to crack the second I meet with a rubber hose situation, and give them my least sensitive password, in the hopes that they accept that, and don't torture me at all. I doubt I'll have to fake the fear.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
em3rgentOrdr (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2011, 08:39:03 PM

I don't buy the 'James Bond' argument that you might resist torture until you can escape, be released somehow, or the torturers find better things to do. That might apply to .001% of cases, maybe.

I didn't imply you would be a magical Houdini who can escape any jail given enough time.  But prisoner exchanges happen all times in most wars, according to game theory this is often a rationally preferred decision for both parties.  Admittedly, I have never been tortured and don't have a clue what goes on in government torture camps, but I do know prisoner swaps occur all the time.  Just google prisoner swap or prisoner exchange.

I don't know about you, but I intend to crack the second I meet with a rubber hose situation, and give them my least sensitive password, in the hopes that they accept that, and don't torture me at all. I doubt I'll have to fake the fear.

Yes that is most likely what I would do as well, and that is what julian assange's game theory logic argues as well.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
onesalt

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 03:26:27 AM

If you are asked to turn over the key to a safe as part of a warrant you are obliged to do it. The USA governments and caughts treat an encryption key exactly the same as a key to a safe.
em3rgentOrdr (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2011, 06:09:18 AM

If you are asked to turn over the key to a safe as part of a warrant you are obliged to do it. The USA governments and caughts treat an encryption key exactly the same as a key to a safe.

The analogy is that you open your safe, but all that is in there is apparently innocuous stuff hiding the real incriminating stuff.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
DonChate

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 03:17:54 AM

never thought of it that way... damn
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 07:12:59 AM

Basically you don't have to even press a kill switch.  The encrypted data automatically becomes un-decryptable after a certain amount of time.

But then becomes re-encryptable once that encryption method is eventually cracked a few years later, am I right?
em3rgentOrdr (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 06:46:51 PM

Basically you don't have to even press a kill switch.  The encrypted data automatically becomes un-decryptable after a certain amount of time.

But then becomes re-encryptable once that encryption method is eventually cracked a few years later, am I right?

No.  It can't be decrypted in a few years.  Parts of the key are stably lost over a specified time.  Brute force cracking a 4096 RSA key will take a way much longer time, even assuming generous computer improvements.

I don't know why you would want to rencrypt it.  The whole idea of the Vanish Project is to make encrypted data you put on the internet to vanish.

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 12:22:07 AM

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20078312-281/doj-we-can-force-you-to-decrypt-that-laptop

The Obama administration has asked a federal judge to order the defendant, Ramona Fricosu, to decrypt an encrypted laptop that police found in her bedroom during a raid of her home.

What happened to the The Fifth Amendment of TCOTUS which says that "no person...shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself."

Your title leads people to believe that these changes to the justice department were done under Obama.  Obama has not made things better in this area (which is very disappointing) but he has not made them worse either.  The justice department has been attempting to force decryption/passwords in violation of the 5'th amendment for sometime.

em3rgentOrdr (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 12:45:54 AM

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20078312-281/doj-we-can-force-you-to-decrypt-that-laptop

The Obama administration has asked a federal judge to order the defendant, Ramona Fricosu, to decrypt an encrypted laptop that police found in her bedroom during a raid of her home.

What happened to the The Fifth Amendment of TCOTUS which says that "no person...shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself."

Your title leads people to believe that these changes to the justice department were done under Obama.  Obama has not made things better in this area (which is very disappointing) but he has not made them worse either.  The justice department has been attempting to force decryption/passwords in violation of the 5'th amendment for sometime.

Correct.  Obama has been building up the tyranny of the previous administrations, as all newpresidents do.

Protip: newspaper articles and forumn threads typically use titles that will elicit response and commentary.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: