Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 06:15:03 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WILL BFL BE OFFERING A SMALLER VERSION OF THE MONARCH?  (Read 2445 times)
peonminer (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 11:26:55 PM

Inaba aka Josh just posted this @ BFL forums.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/off-topic/4721-do-you-think-looks-better.html#post56385

You decide!
Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 11:44:21 PM

Did anyone else make this connection?
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2zEh9zgbXk

He must have seen my post and agreed with me.

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 02:34:05 PM

Henchman 1 would be a 100GH/s card?
Henchman 2 would be a 200GH/s card?
Etc.

That sounds like an awesome idea. I'd be up for that.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 02:35:42 PM

Yes they will once they realise they can't properly cool the 600GH/s version.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 03:57:10 PM

Yes they will once they realise they can't properly cool the 600GH/s version.
I'm kinda curious how they expect to cool 350W of heat in a double wide PCIe factor. Even a 5970 only uses ~300W. A 6990 is 375W, but that uses a heatsink on both sides of the fan for more even cooling. It can be done, but I'd rather see the airflow all move one direction.

The only nice thing I can think of is that the card wont need any external ports, so it can fill both PCI brackets with vents. Look at how much airflow is wasted to accomodate the external connectors:

Now imagine if the back, top, and sides of the card were completely sealed (think 5970 style), and the entire PCI bracket was one big exhaust vent. I'd imagine the airflow would be pretty decent leaving a computer case. It's hard to see, but you can see the same idea being used Here.

bitboyben

Activity: 330
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 08:02:07 PM

I was hoping for a 300Gh/s unit called Dr. Girlfriend.
The 600gh/s uses two chips so a single chip is possible.

Water cooling?

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
bbxx

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

cryptoshark

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2013, 12:04:01 PM

when they start shipping monarchs, those cards will be used as space heaters in Alaska.

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 02:21:41 PM

when they start shipping monarchs, those cards will be used as space heaters in Alaska.
You joke, but people have already been using GPUs for electric heaters for the past few years. Buy in 3-4kUSD worth of GPUs, mine with 4kW of heat, and then sell them all in the spring. What you mine more than covers your electricity costs, and even covers the hardware depreciation over the 6 month span. It takes some initial investment, but you end up heating your house for almost nothing.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 03:45:05 AM

It would be called the ...

"MONA"

Just like the rest of what they do, they would half-ass the project before fulfilling obligations to customers.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

mootinator

Activity: 274

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 04:21:02 AM

I'd pay too much to get one next September sometime.

...Actually I'll hold out to pay too much for whatever the first 28nm version to market of the USB block erupter is =)

No
vesperwillow

Activity: 616

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 03:33:38 AM

Better question: Will BFL be around in a year? It's looking unlikely. There's mounting legal force against them in their state, and they're already being monitored. They can delete my posts about it on their forum, but they can't do it here. Easily. LOL.

Their production lines have almost come to a halt over the past 12 days minus a few large items (go check their daily work log). That's always a good sign right?

Could surprise us all and ship out like 200 things tomorrow, so who knows right?

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:11:08 PM

What would be the point? By the time it comes out it WILL be the small version.

more or less retired.
greyhawk

Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:15:15 PM

What would be the point? By the time it comes out it WILL be the small version.

Why, what will the big one be called? Lepidopterror?
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 04:27:46 PM

If you have to ask then you're in the wrong investment...only fools who wish to part with their Money have fallen for their lies for a 3rd time comming...if every 2nd thread in the custom hardware section is cussing/writing off BFL...why would you suspect that they could be trusted to deliver on what they state....let alone release something else that will not ever reach ROI - this is like how Asicminer is available now at like double to 4x its retail value whereas BFL is attempting to be the loss leader here with ZERO UNITS...effing guffaws all day.

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 05:24:57 PM

let alone release something else that will not ever reach ROI
Explain to me how it will never earn back it's purchase cost? It is not only the most cost effective miner (GHs/USD), but also the most power efficient (GHs/Watt). If you think the Monarch is doomed, then just about every other ASIC out there will also be not-profitable. The entire network can't be run at a loss, so what's your solution?

cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 05:30:03 PM

Yes, but it won't be an offer.  They'll split all monarch orders into 3 of the same size but 1/3 the hash rate and then ship them all out of order.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
greyhawk

Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 06:07:39 PM

It is not only the most cost effective miner (GHs/USD), but also the most power efficient (GHs/Watt).

Strange. I've got a sudden feeling of Deja Vu. Anyone know where I heard that phrase before and what happened to the products it described?
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 06:12:15 PM

It is not only the most cost effective miner (GHs/USD), but also the most power efficient (GHs/Watt).

Strange. I've got a sudden feeling of Deja Vu. Anyone know where I heard that phrase before and what happened to the products it described?

Ya, I do. They're sitting in my bedroom hashing away.

millsdmb

Activity: 322

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 06:13:08 PM

they have nothing better to do then put up a poll about barbie? This is almost as bad as Grandma Jody comparing making Jalapenos to making a big mac.

Hitler Finds out about the Butterfly Labs Monarch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jYNMKdv36w
Get $10 worth of BTC Free when you buy $100 worth at coinbase.com/?r=51dffa8970f85a53bd000034
vesperwillow

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 06:34:41 PM

let alone release something else that will not ever reach ROI
Explain to me how it will never earn back it's purchase cost? It is not only the most cost effective miner (GHs/USD), but also the most power efficient (GHs/Watt). If you think the Monarch is doomed, then just about every other ASIC out there will also be not-profitable. The entire network can't be run at a loss, so what's your solution?

You speak as if it's a real product. I highlighted the 2 most important portions of your response.

If BFL doesn't have its doors closed by legal authorites, and if they don't go bankrupt, and if they don't split up and run off with folks' money, and if the product does come to fruition, if it doesn't fall to the wayside regarding specs, promises and delivery like all of their other products (they can't even keep the hats or coffee mugs shipping), if they ever deliver the item while bitcoin can still be mined.. then maybe it'l hash some coins.

That's a lot of wagering right there, considering their production line has pretty much ceased for the past 12 days (minus a couple rigs), and they're telling customers to piss off when asking about it.

KNC will be on their own Gen2 products by the time all these "ifs" pass, which will likely be even better than the mythical Monarch.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: