Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 06:58:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: what feeling to win you like more ?  (Read 1299 times)
klaus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 02:12:26 PM

What feeling do you like more?

- BTC/USD Trend is running up & youre long in Bitcoin

or

- BTC/USD Trend is running down/turning down and youre allready short in Bitcoin with all the fiat in the Exchange waiting for the deepest point.

The first is better because you dont have to trust an exchange with youre assets.

The second is better because when its done, you have earned bitcoins and more than before.

I dont know what i like more. How about you ?

bitmessage:BM-2D9c1oAbkVo96zDhTZ2jV6RXzQ9VG3A6f1​
threema:HXUAMT96
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 02:39:06 PM

BTC/USD Trend is running up & youre long in Bitcoin.

It sucks being out of bitcoins.
Tirapon

Activity: 898
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 02:44:09 PM

My favourite is when LTC/BTC is running up and you bought in like a boss near the bottom - In the meantime, BTC/USD is running up so your winnings are worth more  Cool
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 02:47:32 PM

What feeling do you like more?

- BTC/USD Trend is running up & youre long in Bitcoin

Definitely this. I don't like selling my bitcoins and most of my bitcoins I will probably never sell or at least not any time soon. I use some personal play money to sell the tops and buy the bottoms with, and every month I convert some fresh fiat into bitcoins trying to catch the lows of the month. So far I'm doing pretty good with that, especially July and August were good months for me. Smiley

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
xorglub

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 02:16:59 AM

BTC/USD Trend is running up & youre long in Bitcoin

Shorting is never a long term strategy and leaves you glued to your charts trying to catch the bottom. High risk, high stress.
It's way more comfortable to follow the long-term trend.
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2013, 02:50:32 PM

I cringe when I see bitcoin going up and my money is still processing by the exchange. eeek
klaus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 07:06:23 PM
Last edit: September 09, 2013, 07:16:45 PM by klaus

I cringe when I see bitcoin going up and my money is still processing by the exchange. eeek

if i would like to know about the exchanges-processing-time i would ask about.

with all the fiat in the Exchange waiting for the deepest point.

to topic.
thanks for all the other answers.

generally i agree.
but at the second choice you have more bitoins than before.

(btw, in 2011 i was short from 14 US$ to 2.40 US$ ... )

bitmessage:BM-2D9c1oAbkVo96zDhTZ2jV6RXzQ9VG3A6f1​
threema:HXUAMT96
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 09:15:15 PM
Last edit: September 10, 2013, 11:25:30 PM by TERA

I think even if you are a turbo bull you should WANT to see gains made by shorting. Here's why: let's say you believe btc is the future and is inevitably going to $100,000.  You could take a long position of Xbtc and you'll know that when that day comes you'll eventually have $X00,000. You could either

A)buy and hold and accept the future of $X00,000, or
B)short at the right times to make even more btc so you have Y btc and in the future you'll have $Y00,000.

Btc offers so much volatility that Y could potentially be 100 times greater than X easily. For me its already 20. So, against intuition you should actually enjoy the shorting more. It is a way to improve the future even more beyond your fixed prediction of the price.

Really, seeing the btc price rise shouldn't please you that if you've already set a prediction. You're just witnessing an already planned and inevitable event unfold. Conversely you shouldn't be upset to see btc go down, because you believe that its going to recover and still reach the same fixed price.

Buy and hold is a fixed and limited course while shorting allows you to take action to reach an unlimited potential. Do you want 100 times your money or 10,000 times your money?

I guess it depends if you have the capacity to execute the trades properly. Its not hard after a 1000% rise occurs in 2 months.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 09:28:38 PM

I think even if you are a turbo bull you should WANT to see gains made by shorting. Here's why: let's say you believe btc is the future and is inevitably going to $100,000.  You could take a long position of Xbtc and you'll know that when that day comes you'll eventually have $X00,000. You could either

A)buy and hold and accept the future of $X00,000, or
B)short at the right times to make even more btc so you have Y btc and in the future you'll have $Y00,000.

Btc offers so much volatility that Y could potentially be 100 times greater than X easily. For me its already 20. So, against intuition you should actually enjoy the shorting more. It is a way to improve the future even more beyond your fixed prediction of the price.

Really, seeing the btc price rise shouldn't please you that if you've already set a prediction. You're just witnessing an already planned and inevitable event unfold. Conversely you shouldn't be upset to see btc go down, because you believe that its going to recover and still reach the same fixed price.

Buy and hold is a fixed and limited course while shorting allows you to take action to reach an unlimited potential. Do you want 100 times your money or 10,000 times your money?

I guess it depends if you have the capacity to execute the trades properly. Its not hard after a 1000% rise occurs in 2 months.

You've been lucky.  Eventually this market will jump straight up after a seemingly impossibly fast rise and you will be burnt hard.  Then Y will be 0 unless you decide to risk chasing the train.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
TERA

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 09:49:01 PM
Last edit: September 10, 2013, 11:26:10 PM by TERA

I started trading when btc was $250. Maybe that helps you understand :p.  I now have the ability to buy that many times more btc than I would have if I had gone long/hold then. If I went long then I wouldn't even have any gain at all right now. In fiat terms I'd still be at a 50% loss. Yuck!
TERA

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 11:41:43 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2013, 12:05:44 AM by TERA

You've been lucky.  Eventually this market will jump straight up after a seemingly impossibly fast rise and you will be burnt hard.  Then Y will be 0 unless you decide to risk chasing the train.
I doubt btc is going to go straight to $3,000 without plenty of dips and trading opportunities for me to catch and a huge bubble burst where tons of profit is to be made. But even if you are right and shorting is just THAT risky, my point still stands that IF you make a SUCCESSFUL short and multiply your coins every once in a while during a collapse, THEN you should feel much better about having an increased amount of btc and being even wealthier in the future than if you had your planned amount of btc on a fixed course. Kind of like winning big at gambling. You can say its risky but can't deny you'd feel great if you won.

Actually a simpler way of explaining is that after a successful short you are not only feeling one of the feelings but are feeling both. You have increased your coin count AND the coins are going to rise.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:44:33 AM

You've been lucky.  Eventually this market will jump straight up after a seemingly impossibly fast rise and you will be burnt hard.  Then Y will be 0 unless you decide to risk chasing the train.
I doubt btc is going to go straight to $3,000 without plenty of dips and trading opportunities for me to catch and a huge bubble burst where tons of profit is to be made. But even if you are right and shorting is just THAT risky, my point still stands that IF you make a SUCCESSFUL short and multiply your coins every once in a while during a collapse, THEN you should feel much better about having an increased amount of btc and being even wealthier in the future than if you had your planned amount of btc on a fixed course. Kind of like winning big at gambling. You can say its risky but can't deny you'd feel great if you won.

Actually a simpler way of explaining is that after a successful short you are not only feeling one of the feelings but are feeling both. You have increased your coin count AND the coins are going to rise.

And after a failed short you double down on fear too.  Don't get me wrong, I run a trading bot that usually makes several trades a day, but I learned years ago that in this market you need to keep a stash off the table because growth can happen way faster than you think is reasonable.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: