Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 10:38:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is being mined?  (Read 491 times)
StGermain1977 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 03:58:09 PM

Hello all!

I've tried and tried to search for an answer for this question...problem is, I think I'm asking the wrong question lol.  But here goes:

***What is being "mined" when you mine?***

I know there are algorithms involved, but are generic/fabricated algorithms created specifically for the mining of BitCoins? ...if so, who creates these algorithms? Is "BitCoin" mining the equivalent of busy-work that fundamentally does nothing except generate an online currency?

And these algorithm aren't created specifically for Bitcoin...where do they come from?  This may sound silly here, but are we using our combined processing powers to unknowingly help decrypt a code somewhere lol?

Thank you for your patience and tolerance for what must appear to a non-newbie as rather silly questions :-)
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 04:12:31 AM

Here you go:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 06:34:40 AM

Hello all!

I've tried and tried to search for an answer for this question...problem is, I think I'm asking the wrong question lol.  But here goes:

***What is being "mined" when you mine?***

I know there are algorithms involved, but are generic/fabricated algorithms created specifically for the mining of BitCoins? ...if so, who creates these algorithms? Is "BitCoin" mining the equivalent of busy-work that fundamentally does nothing except generate an online currency?

And these algorithm aren't created specifically for Bitcoin...where do they come from?  This may sound silly here, but are we using our combined processing powers to unknowingly help decrypt a code somewhere lol?

Thank you for your patience and tolerance for what must appear to a non-newbie as rather silly questions :-)

mining is only solving blocks, it is not helping to crack codes or benefiting science etc
there are some coins like primecoin that help to solve prime numbers through mining
ReBoRn

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

Bitcoin will survive

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 01:21:37 PM

thanks I was also very upset about this but now some coming in my mind what is mining  Grin

StGermain1977 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 04:46:57 AM

Thanks b!z :-)

...another question.  Will the act of mining chew up my Internet Data Plan?  I suppose the question is: how many MB/GB are downloaded/uploaded in the act of mining?
Galahad

Activity: 190
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 11:54:45 AM
Last edit: September 10, 2013, 12:24:59 PM by Galahad

Thanks b!z :-)

...another question.  Will the act of mining chew up my Internet Data Plan?  I suppose the question is: how many MB/GB are downloaded/uploaded in the act of mining?

I don't think it's a question of uploading / downloading lots of bytes. Mining involves processing a mathematical puzzle and then uploading proof of work as I understand it. This proves that you have solved the equation first and are entitled to the reward.
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 01:33:16 PM

I don't think it's a question of uploading / downloading lots of bytes.

Yeah, well actually if he's going to mine he's gonna have to download the blockchain and we're at 9,6 GB for that and it's growing at about 0,5 to 0,7 GB a month.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: