Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:52:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Altcoins price if Btc keeps rising  (Read 3621 times)
chryspano (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 06:12:26 PM

Any speculation about altcoins price if btc rises to lets say 500$ in the next months? major altcoins like ltc xpm ppc ftc ofcourse

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Goatboy

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 08:54:50 PM

* I keep my crypto money in BTC

That being said, I mine altcoins like Litecoin with GPU rigs because:

1. I want to participate in the culture of mining, but can't put up $15000 and wait for (maybe) a profitable ASIC miner.
  2. I already own the hardware, and can use it for other purposes.

I'm not the only one.  Altcoins, in some form, will continue to exist for the foreseeable future because they are a means to generate value for non ASIC owners.

The value in , for example, Litecoin may well be in its liquid exchangeability with bitcoin.  There really are few places to use it. (despite reports of one hooker in the Netherlands who accepts LTC and BTC.  Bravo for forward thinking...)   If they are to hang on long term, however, they need to fill some role better than BTC can, or at least serve the group who generates them.  

In short, Altcoins will need to remain proportional to Bitcoin, and specifically, proportional to the return on investment in mining altcoins, in order to stick around.    My bet:   $500 BTC = $15-$20 LTC (And soaring LTC difficulty)
Garz

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 10:18:20 PM

Wow. I read a lot of hot air in wall of text and got little out. Try concentrating on concise content in your posting and you will be taken more seriously. Effing and jeffing is a waste of good energy.
wedge

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 11:17:28 PM

Any speculation about altcoins price if btc rises to lets say 500$ in the next months? major altcoins like ltc xpm ppc ftc ofcourse

All other variables remaining constant, if BTC rises vs USD.  Then Alt values vs BTC will certainly drop.  But their value vs USD should remain somewhat constant.  Which means their profitability will remain constant. 

But you have to look at things from a wider perspective.  There is a slight loss in Alt coin values when the BTC is rising quickly.  Which is what we've seen for the past week or so.  It's simple: nobody wants to trade BTC for a worthless Alt when they can get a really good rate on USD.  But that's a temporary situation.  When the BTC value is stable or just slowly changing, you will see more normal rates for the Alt coins.

kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 11:30:58 PM
Last edit: September 07, 2013, 11:54:57 PM by kelsey

When BTC has spikes in price yes the alt initial fall as eveyone bails to btc. However the higher btc rises the more people percieve the possibility of what a crypto can get to so other time alts can all get higher values.

However outside the niche community few people (even those with an interest in btc) care for alts, nor will they in the forseeable future, with the exception of maybe ltc....and even the clocks ticking on ltc (ie something left field and more purposefully then btc will eventually appear).

QuantPlus

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 12:50:11 AM

That being said, I mine altcoins like Litecoin with GPU rigs because:

1. I want to participate in the culture of mining, but can't put up $15000 and wait for (maybe) a profitable ASIC miner.
  2. I already own the hardware, and can use it for other purposes.

That is perfectly fine. I have being mining or still mining quite a lot of altcoins beside BTC. It is idiotic idea that altcoins will rise in value
because this and that (all bullshits) that makes me attack those promoting such idiotic idea. It is retarded mindset of many here that is
quite disturbing because, you see, those people are members of cryptocoin community and I am member of it as well. I don't find it cool
to be in the same room with stupid people, whos actions will inevitably affect me. It is enough if they become loud and proud on some
stupid shit for complete community to become threatened. People who do not understand divide and conquer agenda will inevitably end
up conquered. Just check it out, it is enough for some unknown guy to [ANN] some stupid altcoin here for horde to start mining it and
having wet dreams! Oh sure, fucktards, you will become rich because you started mining (job as complex as sending man to Mars) early!
The world will invest shitload of money into your prefered stupid altcoin backed up with dozen of 7970s or Avalons instead of just doing,
for example, what most altcoin "developers" did, right?

Mining and supporting some altcoin is just fine and helps in general but expecting riches out of it is just stupid. Game is practically over.
There is no good reason for any altcoin to become even remotely used as Bitcoin is. That which would kill Bitcoin would kill all altcoins
based on it (speaking of money, time and other efforts required) as well. Most of the things that might add value to altcoins based on
Bitcoin can be implemented in Bitcoin almost overnight. If not, amount of people into Bitcoin and amount of money they have can be
used against any altcoin to utterly destroy it almost overnight, in case it would hurt Bitcoin in some way. Mere closing of this subforum
would have massive impact on all altcoins, and so on.

You are 100% wrong...
One either believes in crypto-currencies or not.

If one is in the former camp...
With the cost to entry for Alt Coin Launch = maybe low 5 figures and UP...
You are going to see 1000s of more and more sophisticated Alts launched...
By small Dev groups, venture backed corporations...
Then by banks, political parties, religious groups and cults...
And by municipalities, regions, and countries.

Because Bitcoin has a development cycle the speed of a snail on thorazine...
5 years from now the Al Qaeda Coin (AQC) or other political coin will dwarf ancient BTC.

The people launching, mining, and trading Alts are at the very leading edge of finance.
ronimacarroni

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 02:03:20 AM

Just wait till people at http://www.nasdaq.com or similar finance outposts start working with Bitcoin, you'll see what high-profile skilled trading actualy is.

Um... they're actually going to ignore Bitcoin pretty quickly once they wrap their brains around the improved design of PPC. I invite you to compare the ETF of BTC to the ETF of PPC in 7 years.

Newcomers... heed my advice and ignore everyone here and just research how PPC works for yourself. It's not easy to figure out, but you'll be glad once you do. You'll reap the rewards of being way ahead of the mass adoption that will come. It's all about being in early.

Cryptogenic Bullions has POS and will be completely mined by the end of this year.
After that very few (0.5%) coins will be available for mining.
Unlike PPcoin which will never be completely mined. Meaning unlimited inflation.
I thinks its poised to become the gold standard of alts.
Now if they could just work in their terrible marketing...
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 04:05:39 AM

I tend to think that if Bitcoin price rises on a continual basis over the next 6 months the price of altcoins will rise somewhat in comparison to BTC.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

CoinBuzz

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 04:31:31 PM

Bitcoin Megastore,

I agree with you totally, Bitcoin is so huge and no one can compete with it right now( or even later).

Since people want to put their money in cryptos, and personally i believe litecoin's scrypt seems more secure than bitcoin's SHA in long term (in terms of effort needed to crack it), maybe they decide to put their money where they just think is a bit more secure.

Although i believe after ASIC's came, network hashrate of bitcoin is so huge that makes it more secure for attacks, and also it is 4years older than litecoin.

BTW, your thought are totally correct, I just mentioned my 0.02c.

Join ASAP: FREE BITCOIN
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 07:12:10 PM

I guess as BTC prices going up, more and more "late adopters" and newcomers will go for alts as BTC will be something for "rich people" but alt are a good way to get some BTC. If I'm right then alt prices will rise too.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: