Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 11:50:34 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do people sell Bitcoins on eBay?  (Read 2404 times)
btcinstant (OP)

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 12:34:42 AM

Aren't sellers subject to chargebacks?
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 01:33:55 AM

I was wondering this aswell, but at the moment there arent any sellers on my country's ebay selling BTC
btcinstant (OP)

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 01:38:21 AM

I was wondering this aswell, but at the moment there arent any sellers on my country's ebay selling BTC

Yes, just found on guy selling Bitcoins and he had two sales then I'm like how does that work.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2013, 03:16:03 AM

Yes, just found on guy selling Bitcoins and he had two sales then I'm like how does that work.

It works badly, for the seller.   Sellers are tempted by higher then normal prices.  The buyers are more than 30% fraudulent.   You end up with a chargeback and no Bitcoins. 

SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 03:20:00 AM

At a very high markup to try and cover the BTC they lose due to scammers.
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2013, 03:26:19 AM

At a very high markup to try and cover the BTC they lose due to scammers.

But that markup makes there be less legitimate users and more scammers.  Who cares the price if you are not paying!

Cudahuda

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 04:33:27 AM

Some people are drawn in by the potential profits despite the risk I would think.
MoneyGod

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 07:03:55 AM

there are very few sellers on ebay selling btc

Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2013, 02:42:22 AM

I have seen a few items on eBay like:

$150 for piece of paper, plus 1 BTC as free gift.

I believe this is to protect the seller from chargeback, since they are selling a piece of paper and the bitcoin is only a gift. I am not sure how well this tactic works though.

Protip:
That does not work.  Ebay allows the buyer to RETURN the piece of paper (or any other item bundled with the bitcoin) for full money back.   

TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 03:25:57 AM

Stay away from eBay for buying and selling Bitcoins.  It is a hostile environment.  There have been some successful trades, but some costly chargeback disasters.  You may be dealing with scammers or paranoid sellers.  Neither would be an enjoyable experience.

Consider Craigslist and/or localbitcoins

Tips for local transactions
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137272.0
e4xit

Activity: 302

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 08:14:52 AM

I think that it could be a rquirement of the buyer, upon winning the auction, to sign a message stating the time, date, his eBay username and perhaps the ebay auction number using the address he would like to recieve the coins to.

He could then forward this signed message to the seller, who would sign it too, using the address he was going to send the coins from (coin control where are you when we need you!?)

Next, the seller can send the coins from the signing address, citing the blockchain as proof of sending.

All that would remain, is being able to explain to eBay resolution staff what exactly a signed message represents, how it is un-forgable, and then how the blockchain also provides irrefutable evidence that the coins were sent, in fatc to a far more certain extent than signed-for post arrangements (sellers often send empty boxes to get the buyer to 'sign-for' and then cite the signing-for as evidence to eBay).

So basically, we have to teach eBay basic cryptography and also about bitcoins.

Simples.

Perhaps this exists already, but it would be nice if there was a website you could paste a signed message into, along with the pub key of the address claiming to have singed it, to check that this fact was true (I know you can current;y do this with various clients but not everybody wants to download a full client in order to check such a simple fact).

Edit appears that you can do message verification easily online using BrainWallet or Blockchain.info's verify message function

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.
MoneyGod

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 08:15:15 AM

do not use ebay or paypal, ever...

why what is wrong with this anything strange or bad ??

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 10:21:20 AM

Some people will buy BTC at any price, just because they read about it on the news Roll Eyes
MoneyGod

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 10:26:30 AM

Some people will buy BTC at any price, just because they read about it on the news Roll Eyes

yes most peoples thinking bubble coming and its price will be high again Grin Grin

GoldSilverBitcoin

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

Gold Silver Bitcoin: It's your choice

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 05:18:54 AM

I have seen a few items on eBay like:

$150 for piece of paper, plus 1 BTC as free gift.

I believe this is to protect the seller from chargeback, since they are selling a piece of paper and the bitcoin is only a gift. I am not sure how well this tactic works though.

That eliminates people not complaining they didn't receive a good. By shipping something, there is an audit trail. Interesting thinking.  I thought eBay banned BTC?

btdir

Activity: 52

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 06:41:42 PM

i thought ebay banned it too
bitcoins4sale

Activity: 15

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 02:38:47 PM

I used to use ebay. Its a good place to advertise ect but its paypal what is the problem. Too many scammers buying hacked pp accounts, and then purchasing coins. Then the original account owner finds out then complains and then the funds get reversed. Even non hacked pp accounts legit buyers also scam you by saying they didn't receive the item its all unreal
GoldSilverBitcoin

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

Gold Silver Bitcoin: It's your choice

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2013, 06:12:50 PM

another PP scam is in person. If seller can't prove shipment, then deal gets reversed.

Justin

mangox

Activity: 364

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 10:53:23 PM

Do not use ebay or paypal.
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:36:06 AM

They most certainly are. Despite what people are trying to do, I don't think there is actually a viable loophole and as such I would advise against selling Bitcoins via eBay and using PP.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: