Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:37:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hosted Mining Sydney, NSW, Australia (Connection Stability Issues)  (Read 1261 times)
jmevz (OP)

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 01:48:15 AM

Hi All,

So like a few others here in Aus, I've ordered a KNC unit expected for delivery come October however...

I'm a little worried about the stability of my ADSL connection. It seems every couple of days the connection will drop out, and I have no real way of knowing whether or not it'll kick back in, hence I'll be losing shares in the process (under the understanding shares can't be held and submitted when back online).

So this brings me to thinking about hosted mining. Is anyone offering this service in Sydney or know of anywhere offering this service? I don't really like the idea of having KNC host my machine, I'd like to be able to visit it (my baby), once in a while, or pick her up and take her home if my connection improves.

I also thought of getting cable, thinking it may be more stable than ADSL (reading mixed reviews)? I have ADSL with TPG and my modem is quite a few years old. Maybe that's my issue? Or, the issue is with our lines here or something else... I'd be fine if I could remotely power up/down my modem, don't know if that's possible, is it?

Cheers,
jmevz

PS: Apologies if this is in the wrong category.

"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jmevz (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 01:54:24 AM

Something like this may be all I need...

http://3gstore.com/product/2062_ip_power_remote_switch.html

Still interested in Hosted Mining, though...

Thanks,

Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2013, 02:54:44 AM

with respect, the few shares you lose every few days will cost way less than the hosting to save them.
Doing some troubleshooting and maybe upgrading modem might solve the issues
do you have naked adsl or a landline? - if landline is there noise on the line? if so you might be able to get line issues fixed -if thats the problem

you shouldn't need to restart your device just because it loses connection, when connection resumes it should get work from the pool and start submitting.

Embeded Linux device to allow for standalone mining. < you can ssh to the device and send it reboot command

the way to get best return from asic devices is minimise the cost of running them - hosting will maximise the cost (in AU anyway)

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
jmevz (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 09:17:08 AM

with respect, the few shares you lose every few days will cost way less than the hosting to save them.
do you have naked adsl or a landline? - if landline is there noise on the line? if so you might be able to get line issues fixed -if thats the problem

you shouldn't need to restart your device just because it loses connection, when connection resumes it should get work from the pool and start submitting.

Embeded Linux device to allow for standalone mining. < you can ssh to the device and send it reboot command

the way to get best return from asic devices is minimise the cost of running them - hosting will maximise the cost (in AU anyway)

Hey, well as far as line noise. I don't even know where to start to test that stuff out. The modem just lost connection then and took about 5-10 minutes to sort itself out and connect again. It seems like it's a daily occurrence. Maybe cheap internet or old modem is the cause here?

So whatever mining software is the machines shouldn't have any issues reconnecting once the modem has sorted itself out?. I'll have to research testing the lines, do some troubleshooting.

Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2013, 09:33:35 AM

Hey, well as far as line noise. I don't even know where to start to test that stuff out. The modem just lost connection then and took about 5-10 minutes to sort itself out and connect again. It seems like it's a daily occurrence. Maybe cheap internet or old modem is the cause here?

So whatever mining software is the machines shouldn't have any issues reconnecting once the modem has sorted itself out?. I'll have to research testing the lines, do some troubleshooting.
yep, if you have buzz / hiss/ crackling on your voice line that is audible you can get your carrier to check/repair your line - it is a sign your line isnt up to spec.
5-10 min dropouts, I'd def be looking at modem, does it get hot to touch? Age/brand of modem can make a difference too.
The price of your plan shouldn't affect stability.

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
bobsag3

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 05:04:42 PM

You may want to consider then some small 3 or 4g router. In the US I can get a tmobile compatable hspda+ wifi router with 500mb/month for $10/month. Its my 3rd line backup for my hosting in case both my Primary and Secondary hardline ISP's fail (cut cable etc).
Thylacine

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 10:20:51 AM

[snip]... I have ADSL with TPG and my modem is quite a few years old. Maybe that's my issue? Or, the issue is with our lines here or something else... I'd be fine if I could remotely power up/down my modem, don't know if that's possible, is it?

FWIW I have tpg in Melbourne and have been experiencing the same thing over the past few months. Modem is brand new. I occasionally have to cycle the modem to get the connection back immediately, although if I just wait it usually comes back of its own accord.
kabopar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 10:45:10 AM

You can buy a 3G USB dongle with Optus or Telstra and a low cost router (such as D-Link DIR-412, probably 20AU$ if you shop around) that will switch to 3G when the ADSL fails.  I have a cable connection (Optus) and it is stable for months.  You may also want to get a UPS.

Cheers
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: