Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 12:26:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Market Research: e-mail services  (Read 767 times)
BitTarget (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 11:12:30 AM

I own several properties and pet projects and setting up e-mail is something that has always annoyed me. So I built a little infrastructure to deal with this and I am thinking of releasing it into the world.

It is meant to be particularly useful for people who own several websites and those websites have a varying number of human and service accounts across several domains.

What I would be willing to provide:

- Email hosting with very few arbitrary limits (create as many domains / mailboxes / e-mail forwards / domain maps as you want)
- All of the appropriate "modern" security requirements for emails taken care of: strict (user-configurable though) SPF records, DomainKeys, enforced TLS for clients (to avoid plaintext password leaks), opportunistic STARTTLS  between servers with ECDHE, etc.
- Both POP3 and IMAP.
- A simple REST-ful API and browser-based UI to handle provisioning domains/forwards/mailboxes
- Optional DNS server. Plenty of stuff that makes e-mail safer these days is in DNS so it would make sense to let us handle that for you.
- Encrypted backups.
- Hosting in Europe in two different countries with failover.
- You get to use as much or as little of the system as you want. Only need forwards? Great. Wanna edit your SPF records and add your own server? Awesome. Want to add quotas to some accounts? Feel free to. No quotas for yourself? That's awesome as well. Want us to relay for you? Sure thing. Dedicated IP address for you and bring your own certificate? Can do (at a little extra cost for the IP address).

It would cost about $7 equivalent in Bitcoin for every 20GB of stored data and, of course, it can't be used for spam.

So I ask:

- Would people be interested in paying for this?
- Are there any missing features?

Most of the work is already done on my side but offering this for third parties involves some overhead, so I would appreciate if the community could chime in.
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2013, 11:36:48 AM

I think and hope the trend will move to bitmessage like services in the future. I wouldn't pay for it.

BitTarget (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 04:09:12 PM

So do I, but this offer is for email, not something else.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 11:45:34 AM

How do we know you are not the NSA?
BitTarget (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 12:37:58 AM

How do we know you are not the NSA?

James Clapper gave his word that I am not the NSA. So you should believe him!

Anyway, I did not promise anti-NSA levels of privacy or anything. This is just a decently run email that is friendly towards developers and power users.

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:07:17 PM

Free bump for you. Even if he is the NSA, just GPG encrypt your emails with 4096 bit RSA keys. Or something. Make it hard for them.

Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 02:11:04 AM

I own several properties and pet projects and setting up e-mail is something that has always annoyed me. So I built a little infrastructure to deal with this and I am thinking of releasing it into the world.

It is meant to be particularly useful for people who own several websites and those websites have a varying number of human and service accounts across several domains.

What I would be willing to provide:

- Email hosting with very few arbitrary limits (create as many domains / mailboxes / e-mail forwards / domain maps as you want)
- All of the appropriate "modern" security requirements for emails taken care of: strict (user-configurable though) SPF records, DomainKeys, enforced TLS for clients (to avoid plaintext password leaks), opportunistic STARTTLS  between servers with ECDHE, etc.
- Both POP3 and IMAP.
- A simple REST-ful API and browser-based UI to handle provisioning domains/forwards/mailboxes
- Optional DNS server. Plenty of stuff that makes e-mail safer these days is in DNS so it would make sense to let us handle that for you.
- Encrypted backups.
- Hosting in Europe in two different countries with failover.
- You get to use as much or as little of the system as you want. Only need forwards? Great. Wanna edit your SPF records and add your own server? Awesome. Want to add quotas to some accounts? Feel free to. No quotas for yourself? That's awesome as well. Want us to relay for you? Sure thing. Dedicated IP address for you and bring your own certificate? Can do (at a little extra cost for the IP address).

It would cost about $7 equivalent in Bitcoin for every 20GB of stored data and, of course, it can't be used for spam.

So I ask:

- Would people be interested in paying for this?
- Are there any missing features?

Most of the work is already done on my side but offering this for third parties involves some overhead, so I would appreciate if the community could chime in.

I found this thread with a Google search looking for something like this.  So, I guess that means demand >= 1!

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: