Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 06:07:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Finding the controlling address of a transaction.  (Read 442 times)
leek_rs (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 02:58:17 PM

When someone sends a payment to my address, I need to find their primary address, the one they control. But it's obscured by all the output/input addresses. I can't figure out which address is the one they control. I've looked on blockchain.info but all I see are several input/output addresses.

How do I know for sure which one it is?
HeroC
Legendary

Activity: 858
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 03:46:20 PM

At the top, there is the address. It is above tools and short link.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 03:48:24 PM

When someone sends a payment to my address, I need to find their primary address, the one they control. But it's obscured by all the output/input addresses. I can't figure out which address is the one they control. I've looked on blockchain.info but all I see are several input/output addresses.

How do I know for sure which one it is?

There is no such thing as the "primary address".  Transactions consts of one or more inputs and one or more output.  You should not assume the sender controls any of the inputs as they won't in a shared wallet (exchange account, eWallet, etc).  However if you feel the need to ignore this warning among the inputs none of them are more or less primary than any of the others.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 03:55:57 PM

Don't do this. There's no from address in Bitcoin, and it is unsafe to assume there is a "controlling" address.

For example, when you make a payment via a shared wallet, *none* of the inputs are "controlling addresses". This is intended behavior for privacy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: