Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:09:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Client 0.3.24-beta feedback and question  (Read 919 times)
MeSarah (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 08:20:02 AM

Today I tried to install the btc client on two linux distros, Mandriva 2011-rc1 and Puppy 5.25. The cleint would not run on Mandriva, something about a missing lib. I forget which but I want to say lib.so.jpeg. On Puppy the client complains about making sure the system time is correct.

Now for my question. Even though the btc client is complaining about the time (which is correct) it still is downloading the block chain. Is it safe to use the client? Should I change the time from CST to UTC?

60 GH/s BFL Single SC - Pre-Order Yours Today!
`````` Only $1299.99 - butterflylabs.com ``````
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 09:25:18 AM

Now for my question. Even though the btc client is complaining about the time (which is correct) it still is downloading the block chain. Is it safe to use the client? Should I change the time from CST to UTC?
You can simply use your local time, but you should make sure the timezone is configured correctly so that it can derive UTC to use on the network.

It will download the blockchain with an incorrectly configured time, but you cannot submit transactions.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
geek-trader

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 06:18:54 AM

Today I tried to install the btc client on two linux distros, Mandriva 2011-rc1 and Puppy 5.25. The cleint would not run on Mandriva, something about a missing lib. I forget which but I want to say lib.so.jpeg. On Puppy the client complains about making sure the system time is correct.

No one will answer you because you threatened to call the US police on this forum.

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: