Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:47:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Feedback on my awarding of sMerit  (Read 224 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2018, 11:34:35 AM

There have been some mixed comments about my philosophy in awarding sMerit points.
I'd be grateful if a couple of members could have a quick scan of my awards, and let me know if I am on the right lines. It isn't easy for me to find posts, and I only award one point at a time. It seems that some members think that this approach is merit hoarding, I think it is responsible use of the new system.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=merit;u=698159

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
h55

Activity: 210
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 11:42:59 AM

really i do not know how can i catch merit but i work hard to write high-quality posts. but there is no anyone decides to upgrade my merits, could you please guide me? what is the main post properties, to reach this?

I work hard to write good posts.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2018, 11:49:08 AM

Merits are like cats. If you chase after them, they will run away and hide from you. If you ignore them, then they will come to you and accept you as a friend.

Don't chase merits here. Chase information, and help others by sharing your knowledge.

Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
h55

Activity: 210
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 12:08:11 PM
Last edit: February 08, 2018, 12:21:30 PM by h55

yes, I agree with you. I will share some critical information about trading after this. thanks for your response. I forgot it and only write usfule posts
kapustin

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 12:15:33 PM

Nice to see that you have become careful while awarding merits and are given 1 merit per post only. Hope others also follow this.
Oulay

Activity: 133
Merit: 37

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 01:00:18 PM

Well.. you're the one that should be able to tell if it's merit hording or not  Grin
If your sMerits are increasing then you're hording them, if you're spending as much as you're getting then you're doing the right thing!
And you can always go from giving 1 merit at a time to giving 2 which would double the amount spent if you ever see that you've hoarded so many merits.

I took a look at your merit history and IMO you're doing a great job in giving them away!

My list of threads giving away merits: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3048258.0
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16609

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2018, 03:46:34 PM

There have been some mixed comments about my philosophy in awarding sMerit points.
I'd be grateful if a couple of members could have a quick scan of my awards, and let me know if I am on the right lines.
I'll check the sMerit you gave on February 6 and 7 (in my time zone), and give you my opinion:

February 07, 2018, 06:24:07 PM: 1 to Alexander_Z for Re: Need help transferring Bitcoin bw hard wallets to claim BTC Gold..
A Newbie making a helpful contribution, that's exactly what the Merit system is supposed to reward. +1 from me too. Your own post on the other hand is completely off-topic and irrelevant.

February 07, 2018, 05:38:32 PM: 1 to Thirdspace for Re: Empty Blocks:Good or bad?
An okay post.

February 07, 2018, 05:23:43 PM: 1 to Hero of Legendary for Re: I've still got 80 sMerit to give away.
I don't think this deserves Merit. I would classify this as a "dear diary"-post, it's not worth reading for anybody else.

February 07, 2018, 02:55:40 PM: 1 to Eternu for Re: How to post to encourage me to award sMerits
An okay post.

February 06, 2018, 03:53:17 PM: 1 to EthanB for Re: How to post to encourage me to award sMerits
Excellent post, +1 from me. Although it will be very difficult for a non-native English speaker to make "elegant sentences", I'm trying my best.

February 06, 2018, 03:39:28 PM: 1 to J-N for Re: Bitcoin's earliest developers
An okay post, it's always nice to see a Newbie who posts useful information.

February 06, 2018, 03:17:39 PM: 1 to Toughit for Re: How to post to encourage me to award sMerits
I wouldn't have rewarded this post, it's kinda trivial to me.

February 06, 2018, 02:17:55 PM: 1 to ThorbenS for Phishing?
I wouldn't have rewarded this. It's impossible to make warning threads for all possible phishing sites, and it won't stop people from falling for it. If anything, it adds another link to the site, which may increase it's pagerank in Google.
I do understand why you rewarded it though.

It seems that some members think that this approach is merit hoarding
I'd say their opinion is irrelevant. It's entirely up to you whether or not you reward posts with sMerit. I wouldn't worry about it, I'm pretty sure the Merit system is designed to "average out"  individual Merit contributions. On average, the best posts will get the most points.

Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2018, 04:07:15 PM

A Newbie making a helpful contribution, that's exactly what the Merit system is supposed to reward. +1 from me too. Your own post on the other hand is completely off-topic and irrelevant.

Why do you say that? My post served two purposes. It bumped the thread, and the new user received a better welcome instead of being ignored. Also, it was a justification, and I hope I encouraged new members to make similar posts.

LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16609

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2018, 05:57:16 PM
Merited by jtipt (1)

Why do you say that? My post served two purposes. It bumped the thread, and the new user received a better welcome instead of being ignored. Also, it was a justification, and I hope I encouraged new members to make similar posts.
Okay, my opinion once more: the OP could bump the thread on his own if he wants to. If every Merit gets a post added to it, it defeats the purpose to improve post quality. New members can see which post earns Merits, which should encourage them to post quality already.

But this one line wasn't the most important part of my post, in fact, you can just ignore it. I didn't Report the post either, just my 2 Satoshis.

Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2018, 06:02:03 PM
Last edit: February 08, 2018, 06:30:06 PM by Jet Cash

I thought that as a brand new member, he might be cautious about bumping threads, but I take your point. My intention was to encourage a promising looking member to feel comfortable and continue to visit the forum

onnz423

Activity: 840
Merit: 508

Make winning bets on sports with Sportsbet.io!

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 06:18:46 PM

To all those asking for a guide on how to get merit, it is really as simple as producing high quality content. Of course, what people deem as high quality varies from person to person, you can write a very high quality post on why bitcoin is going to die, but chances are you wont receive merit as it doesn't agree with the opinion of the vast majority. I would say that there is a clear correlation between length and complexity of a post and the odds of it receiving merit. Do not expect to receive merit from a 1 liner, unless there is some wisdom in those few words.

▄▄██████▄▄
  ████████████
███▄▄
 ██████████████▀▀▀██▄
████████████████   ▀██▄
████████████████     ▀██
██████████████       ██▌
██████████████        ▐██
██▌▀▀██████▀▀         ▐██
▐██                   ██▌
 ██▄                 ▄██
  ▀██▄             ▄██▀
    ▀██▄▄▄     ▄▄▄██▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

███████████████████████████
████████▀▀       ▀▀████████
█████▀   ▄ ▀███▀ ▄   ▀█████
████  ▄████▄ ▀ ▄████▄  ████
███  ▄ ▀███▀ ▄ ▀███▀ ▄  ███
██  ▄██ ▀▀ ▄███▄ ▀▀ ██▄  ██
██  █▀ ▄█ ███████ █▄ ▀█  ██
██   ▄███▄ █████ ▄███▄   ██
███  ████▀ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀████  ███
████  ▀ ▄ ▀█████▀ ▄ ▀  ████
█████▄  ▀▀▄ ███ ▄▀▀  ▄█████
████████▄▄       ▄▄████████
███████████████████████████

█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2018, 09:07:17 PM

I'd be grateful if a couple of members could have a quick scan of my awards, and let me know if I am on the right lines. It isn't easy for me to find posts, and I only award one point at a time. It seems that some members think that this approach is merit hoarding, I think it is responsible use of the new system.

I like that you only send one merit per post. The quality of each post you're meriting is your scale to set, how can any of us fault you for what you've decided is valuable to you? This is particularly true since you are giving 1 merit per post.

I'd consider you one of the more frequent spenders/senders in the forum. You won't reach the "highest senders" list because you're not sending 10s of merit per post. Getting on those lists is likely a big motivation for some of the higher ranking folks among us to dole out so much for so little.

You're definitely not a hoarder! Hoarders are spending/sending NO merit.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2018, 10:39:34 AM

Thanks HabBear.

I hope I can make a small contribution to restoring the forum to the helpful resource it was when I joined.

I've been enthusiastic about Bitcoin since I first read about it, but I've only made limited use of its potential. Thisyear I need to expand my use, and maybe I'll pick up some of the alts that are waiting for me as a result of the arrival of the parallel chain coins like Bitcoin Cash. The tech boards seem to be much cleaner, and that is great news for me.

I do feel a bit of responsibility as a holder of sMerit, and that has led me into some threads that otherwise I would have skipped. One such is the request for a board for Ukrainian members, and I found the comments interesting, and it gave me a bit of perspective about the use of Bitcoin in that country. I even awarded a merit to a post that I thought was well reasoned, and it persuaded me that there should be such a board. Of course I know nothing about Ukraine and the local use of Bitcoin, so maybe I should have kept my nose out of their thread. Smiley

atliens99

Activity: 392
Merit: 13

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 03:26:20 PM

Just stick with whatever you want.  I see no problem awarding merit for short on topic posts if they are good.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2018, 03:47:02 PM

What angers me that more than 58,866 merits have been sent, Like a piece of salt in a river https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=merit;stats=topsend.
The problem is that a large part of these points Sent to "Legendary accounts, merits topics,Bitcoin Technical and alt accounts".
Either raise awareness or give prizes to those who send merit points.

I can understand that to a certain extent. It is often quite difficult for me to find posts that I like. For example, I've started a couple of threads in the Frog Pond, but they still die in the swamp of the trivial and useless post and threads about Bitcoin becoming the major world currency ( it won't ). Bitcoin killing banks ( how stupid is that idea? ), and all the other similar and pretty worthless, imho, threads. I've now decided that I will give up completely on the Frog Pond, which is a shame, because it really ought to be the most interesting board. The two tech boards have become interesting, and there are some good threads there, and the beginners board seems to be a bit cleaner, but I think it could do with the moving out of the altcoin and bounty threads.

I don't think it would be a good idea to give prizes to merit awarders, it ought to be something that we do automatically when we spot a good post whilst reading the boards. A better idea would be to remove sMerits from the promo managers who are using points to rank up their affiliates and alts.

Husires
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1285

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2018, 04:08:34 PM

I can understand that to a certain extent. It is often quite difficult for me to find posts that I like. For example, I've started a couple of threads in the Frog Pond, but they still die in the swamp of the trivial and useless post and threads about Bitcoin becoming the major world currency ( it won't ). Bitcoin killing banks ( how stupid is that idea? ), and all the other similar and pretty worthless, imho, threads. I've now decided that I will give up completely on the Frog Pond, which is a shame, because it really ought to be the most interesting board. The two tech boards have become interesting, and there are some good threads there, and the beginners board seems to be a bit cleaner, but I think it could do with the moving out of the altcoin and bounty threads.
I don't think it would be a good idea to give prizes to merit awarders, it ought to be something that we do automatically when we spot a good post whilst reading the boards. A better idea would be to remove sMerits from the promo managers who are using points to rank up their affiliates and alts.

Andrew "achow101" plays a great role there and some users earn many merits makes those boards attractive.
Personally, I see that this will increase the burden on managers and I do not recommend many comments in those boards "These boards are considered a reference for everyone who wants to learn so all posts must be 100% correct"

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██