Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:55:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble setting up USB Block Erupters with cgminer  (Read 4311 times)
coinviking (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 12:26:26 AM

I just got my first two USB block erupters and I'm trying to configure them in cgminer. I'm following the instructions here: http://bitcoinrigs.org/mining-resource/how-to-setup-asic-block-erupter/

I put the following command into the target of a desktop shortcut:

C:\cgminer\cgminer-nogpu.exe -o mint.bitminter.com:8332 -u username_workername -p password --icarus-options 115200:1:1 --icarus-timing 3.0=100 -S //./COM3 -S //./COM5

And when I double click it, the command prompt just opens and closes again. So I open the command prompt directly, running as administrator, type in the same command and get the following error message:

[2013-09-08 18:17:23] cgminer-nogpu.exe: -S: unrecognized option

What gives?

PS - Also would like to know the correct syntax for assigning each USB Block Erupter to a separate worker.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 02:20:49 AM

The -S and --icarus option's is ONLY for CGMiner 3.1.1.

The later versions use direct USB.  So follow the instructions with the ASIC Readme included with the CGMiner download.

The problem with these web sites are that they are rarely up to date.  The readme's with the software is always up to date.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 02:28:05 AM

PS - Also would like to know the correct syntax for assigning each USB Block Erupter to a separate worker.

Once you have the direct USB working you run two instances of CGMiner

cgminer-nogpu.exe --usb ICA:1 -o mint.bitminter.com:8332 -u username_workername01 -p password

and

cgminer-nogpu.exe --usb ICA:1 -o mint.bitminter.com:8332 -u username_workername02 -p password

This will run one Block Erupter in each instance to two different worker names.  Don't know why you would want to run two workers on one pool.  I run three instances with the same number of BE's for three different pools.  That way I can compare performance between different pools easily.  Also helps ameliorate variance.

Also using port 8332 implies your using getwork protocol.  I would strongly recommend that you use the stratum protocol.

coinviking (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 03:00:52 AM

This "--usb ICA:1" I assume is some kind of system name assigned to the block erupter. Where do I find it to?

Thanks for your help!
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 03:13:07 AM

This "--usb ICA:1" I assume is some kind of system name assigned to the block erupter. Where do I find it to?

Thanks for your help!

It's under the Advanced USB Options in the readme.

"--usb" is self explanatory

"ICA" means Icarus device since the block erupters use that driver

":1" means to use one Icarus device, it doesn't matter which one.

coinviking (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 02:42:44 AM

Working perfectly, thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: