Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:58:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer just for coin transactions.  (Read 2761 times)
justmyname (OP)

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 12:29:15 AM

Looking for a computer to keep off the net except for coin transactions. I found some ideal note books but they have Windows 8 and Google Chrome on them already.  Huh I don't want any snoop software on my computer monitoring me.

What would be better or am I being paranoid? Heightened awareness in my opinion. 
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 12:58:35 AM

Why would you think Windows 8 or chrome = bitcoin stealer?

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Magazine

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 01:03:09 AM

I'm sure Google Chrome won't be stealing your Bitcoin.

I agree with hating Windows 8 tho.

Look on Amazon they have older units with Windows 7 on them still.
grue
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 01:10:53 AM

Why? because of privacy concerns, or just unfriendly UI?

Magazine

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 01:11:59 AM

Why? because of privacy concerns, or just unfriendly UI?

I'm just not a fan of the UI haha.
justmyname (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 01:21:22 AM

Google = CIA FBI.  Windows 8 = Back Doors for Big Brother. I don't want anyone having access to my computer but the only one worth trusting. Myself.  
Magazine

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 01:23:49 AM

Google = CIA FBI.  Windows 8 = Back Doors for Big Brother. I don't want anyone having access to my computer but the only one worth trusting. Myself.  

Then don't use Windows.

cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 01:27:05 AM

Just get a cheap old laptop and use linux.  Less than $100 on ebay.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
justmyname (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 01:27:36 AM

So Linux or Apple?
justmyname (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 01:29:05 AM

Good idea except an old computer could have a Trojan. And the hard drive will crash sooner than a new one.
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 01:31:02 AM

Good idea except an old computer could have a Trojan. And the hard drive will crash sooner than a new one.

You can put a new HD in.  You don't even need a hard drive, just use a USB key.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
grue
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 02:59:02 AM

Google = CIA FBI.  Windows 8 = Back Doors for Big Brother.
Do you have evidence for those allegations, or are they just assumptions?

To my knowledge, Chrome only logs user telemetry by default. You can opt-out in settings. Windows 8 (or any other version) is much the same. Nothing in either of them that can compromise wallet security. You're just being paranoid.

lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 05:42:35 AM

get a netbook. Something old and slow. throw an ubuntu on it. Encrypt the installation. Encrypt home directory. Install what you need. take it off the internet. prosper.

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 05:50:40 AM

DO NOT BUY A OLD USED COMPUTER, there can be trojans in the firmware, or exist a SMM backdoor. also do not use any closed source(Windows, Chrome, ...) use linux or bsd. do not use proprietary/binary driver for your GPU, there can exist a backdoor there too.

your level of paranoia is up to you, but i always have "nc -e sh -p 9090 -l" running.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
justmyname (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 05:58:16 AM
Last edit: September 13, 2013, 11:13:58 PM by justmyname

Google = CIA FBI.  Windows 8 = Back Doors for Big Brother.
Do you have evidence for those allegations, or are they just assumptions?

To my knowledge, Chrome only logs user telemetry by default. You can opt-out in settings. Windows 8 (or any other version) is much the same. Nothing in either of them that can compromise wallet security. You're just being paranoid.

Snowden spilled the beans. I always suspected. Mostly common knowledge at this point. Here is a sample of a quick search.

http://macdailynews.com/2013/07/11/how-microsoft-handed-u-s-nsa-fbi-cia-access-to-users-encrypted-video-audio-and-text-communications/

http://infowars.net/articles/march2008/310308Google.htm
lophie

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 06:13:55 AM

DO NOT BUY A OLD USED COMPUTER, there can be trojans in the firmware, or exist a SMM backdoor. also do not use any closed source(Windows, Chrome, ...) use linux or bsd. do not use proprietary/binary driver for your GPU, there can exist a backdoor there too.

your level of paranoia is up to you, but i always have "nc -e sh -p 9090 -l" running.

Come on man no one would buy an old computer and not get rid of all that!

kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 06:29:39 AM

firmware trojans and SMM backdoors are really really hard to detect and remove, they are persistent even between boots without harddrives. SMM was designed to be undetected, to emulate old PS/2 mouse and keyboard, even when they was plugged into an usb port. and firmware you often don't have access too(yes, you have access. but the firmware controls the access, and decides what you get to see and what not.), when they first are in place and are also persistent over boots wo/hd.

i know how this stuffs done, would you be willing to accept a computer from me and put bitcoins on it? (im the one getting rich here, not you)

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
lophie

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 06:44:43 AM

firmware trojans and SMM backdoors are really really hard to detect and remove, they are persistent even between boots without harddrives. SMM was designed to be undetected, to emulate old PS/2 mouse and keyboard, even when they was plugged into an usb port. and firmware you often don't have access too(yes, you have access. but the firmware controls the access, and decides what you get to see and what not.), when they first are in place and are also persistent over boots wo/hd.

i know how this stuffs done, would you be willing to accept a computer from me and put bitcoins on it? (im the one getting rich here, not you)

Well personally I always grab the bat and connect the reset jumper with every device. then upgrade to the latest BIOS provided by the hardware manufacturer. But I don't know.....

Atruk

Activity: 700

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 06:53:32 AM

So Linux or Apple?

Linux, simply so much of what is useful in bitcoin is made with Linux users as first class citizens.

I'm a really big fan of the Lenovo low end X-series (X120e-X131e). The Wi-fi card is accessible to unplug easily so you can make sure it stays offline. Then you install Linux on a decent SSD and make sure you have enough RAM. If you are really paranoid you can use something like this to take things to the next level.

Use Armory to sign transactions and make wallets.

As far as new vs. old computers go New computers might have NSA spyware, but old computers risk having spyware and compromises the previous owner picked up. What you want in a dedicated machine though is to keep it offline broadcasting transactions and other secure communications from a reasonably clean computer (or random coffeeshop computer).

It's really just a matter of how deep you want to go down the paranoia hole.

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 06:55:38 AM

Everyone is always going to have to accept a certain amount of risk, however small.

How do you know that any chip on the motherboard, processor, GPU, harddrive doesn't have some sort of spying routine programmed in?

The answer is you don't. You have to accept the small risk.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: