Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:08:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S9 auto tune firmware vs fix freq ?! who win !?  (Read 400 times)
latoxine34 (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 05:16:09 PM
Last edit: February 08, 2018, 07:42:51 PM by latoxine34

Hello,

Because of empty fields out of the box on the system tab  ( cgminer  etc...) one month ago I decided after all to flash the firmware on my 13.5 s9 december batch and choosed the one on top of the list ( auto ) before to realise that antpool stratum  was the real issue.

Since the operation, the results  are good with low fan rpm: around 3000 and 4000 rpm and few accelerations, temps are ok.

Few days ago I bought 3 more s9 running  with the original firmware: The fans run around 2000 rpm faster, and results are a little bit lower ( normal ). Temps are close to the first one on auto tune.

Do you guys have seen the same results ?
Should I take the risk to flash the 3 others s9 13.5th/s ? From what I see now it's a gain of few 0.xxth/s,  with 2000rpm less,  for only 4/5°more. Huh

thank you.

EDIT : it seem that I was thinking that the  Fri Nov 17 17:37:49 CST 2017 first install on the S9 that I flashed, and present on the other 3 was called a fix freq firmware.

So I've flashed the first one ( originaly running on a bad Nov 17 ) to the Sat Apr 29 20:01:20 EDT 2017 . And now thinking of flashing the other 3 to this firmware.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 05:40:31 PM

I have noticed a bunch of serious problems with the 1117 firmware that came loaded on all of my nov/dec/jan machines. Our standard fix is to roll the firmware back to one from last April.

This has repaired literally hundreds of s9s that would not hash or would report fan errors with the 1117 firmware.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
latoxine34 (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 05:52:28 PM

I have noticed a bunch of serious problems with the 1117 firmware that came loaded on all of my nov/dec/jan machines. Our standard fix is to roll the firmware back to one from last April.

This has repaired literally hundreds of s9s that would not hash or would report fan errors with the 1117 firmware.

Hello,

I'm not sure to understand what 1117 firmware is, and to be honest I don't understand the link between the firmware name on bitmain website, and the information on the s9  system page. ( if it's file system version, I have an april version on one of mine )

But my question is more about compare fix freq firmware to auto firmware.
fanatic26

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 05:59:22 PM

File System Version   Fri Nov 17 17:37:49 CST 2017  <---if the firmware is from 1117 aka November 17th it has issues.

You stated that you flashed your machines with a different version of the auto tune firmware, so I am not quite sure how fixed frequency comes into play there.

Also the later auto tune models wont work properly with the fixed firmware, you really shouldnt be using the wrong firmware for your machines.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
latoxine34 (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 06:41:36 PM

File System Version   Fri Nov 17 17:37:49 CST 2017  <---if the firmware is from 1117 aka November 17th it has issues.

You stated that you flashed your machines with a different version of the auto tune firmware, so I am not quite sure how fixed frequency comes into play there.

Also the later auto tune models wont work properly with the fixed firmware, you really shouldnt be using the wrong firmware for your machines.

Ok the first one that I flashed now run on :    Sat Apr 29 20:01:20 EDT 2017 -----> which is the one I call auto tune, that I picked up from the top of the list on bitmain site.

The 3 others are with the one you talked: Fri Nov 17 17:37:49 CST 2017     --------> The last 3 s9 I bought few days ago, I didn't change anything on them. AND I see that tey hash well, but less than the first one ( but not so much )  , and with fix fan rpm much faster.

so no I flashed the first one I received end of december with the auto tune firmware. Mainly because it was the one I tought that was matching with all s9, avoiding me to do a mistake.
But are you telling me that only certains models of s9 can use the auto tune firmware?  
fanatic26

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 06:52:33 PM

Sat Apr 29 20:01:20 EDT 2017  <---this is exactly the firmware I flash when I am having trouble with newer versions.

The first few batches of the s9 used a fixed frequency firmware. Anything purchased in the last 12 months is auto tune for sure.

latoxine34 (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 07:03:19 PM
Last edit: February 08, 2018, 07:30:38 PM by latoxine34

Sat Apr 29 20:01:20 EDT 2017  <---this is exactly the firmware I flash when I am having trouble with newer versions.

The first few batches of the s9 used a fixed frequency firmware. Anything purchased in the last 12 months is auto tune for sure.

Thank you fanatic26,

tell me if I understand :

So the one I purchased directly from bitmain was ( if I remenber well ) on a november firmware, before I flashed it because of no hashing and no cgminer version display.

The 3 others have been purchased from a seller, they are new and from january batch. November firmware.

As you say that all are auto freq if less than one year old: So the firmware that I was calling fix freq ( on the last 3 one ) is in fact an auto freq firm, but a november version.
Am I right ?

PS;
I've always ear noisy s9 on the web, and was surprise with the quiet of the one flashed with april firm. ( only few acceleration sometimes ) whereas the 3 on the november firm run faster all the time.
fanatic26

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:23:22 PM
Merited by OgNasty (1)

Correct, all of your new miners have auto frequency firmware.

Here is an easy way to tell the difference:

The smaller circle is the fixed firmware (see how all boards run at 600 exactly?)

The larger circle is the auto tune firmware (see how each board has a different speed?)

latoxine34 (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 04:44:01 AM
Last edit: February 09, 2018, 05:45:37 AM by latoxine34

ok ! Grin thank you !

-So, do you think I should jump on the APRIL firmware even if the miners running on the November one are hashing correctly?

-Could you ( or someone else ) please confirm that you notice a fan speed variation during work between the November and the April auto freq firmware ?

My data:
-------------------------------
on one of my three january batch , the untouched november firmware:

82°   / 75°  / 74°

6120rpm / 4560rpm
--------------------------------

on my first baby december batch flashed with april:

81° /  78°   / 82°

4560rpm   / 3120rpm
-------------------------------

PS : FANATIC I've seen your signature  Grin , I was prepare for the noise, I deal with it but if I can reduce it ( specialy the whistle on one of them ) it's a plus and I just want to run them correctly!

Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: