Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:34:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are You KIDDING PayPal? [Community Help Forum]  (Read 1902 times)
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 21, 2011, 06:28:16 AM
Last edit: January 21, 2011, 07:21:45 AM by sgornick

A Google search returned the following.   The original post on PayPal's Community Help Forum has since been deleted, but fortunately there is Google Webcache:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:1M9nMVSIq90J:https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Account-limits-and-verification/Are-You-KIDDING-PayPal/td-p/173790+bitcoin&cd=174

Are You KIDDING PayPal?!
Jan-16-2011 08:50 PM

This is the 3rd or 4th time in the last YEAR this has happened to me, PayPal decides it's funny to put my account on temporary holds for receiving funds. I have no history of bad business, I have no history of disputes, yet they keep putting it on hold over and over again. This is getting annoying. How do you expect me to get money from family and friends and pay bills when my account is constantly being watched over and everything is thrown into pending?

I understand that you want to protect from disputes so there is no threat to your PRECIOUS REPUTATION, but do you REALLY think that throwing peoples accounts into pending is going to make us want to use you? This is EXACTLY why people are looking into other payment methods like BitCoin and Moneybookers. PayPal's irresponsibility and dominating monopoly-esque regime over the online payment industry is going too far, and they're overstepping boundaries they have no right overstepping. Who are they to decide who can do what at any given time? You've built up such a monopoly that it's no longer possible to use anything but PayPal. If it was up to me, PayPal would've been shut down ages ago.

Unprofessional, rude, and arrogant are all words that fit into the PayPal business structure. I hope PayPal goes down in history as one of the biggest shams of all time.
 [Emphasis added]

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
January 21, 2011, 09:43:56 AM

happens all the time.
nice to see bitcoin mentioned, though.

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 21, 2011, 01:15:26 PM

3 or 4 times in one year... that's nice...

I had mine locked 3 times in a month, and it wasn't more because, well, one of the times took them more than 2 weeks to unlock it. Asking the same questions multiple times, obvious template emails, stuff like "this is for everyone's protection and security".

Ah well, we that is why I don't use PayPal for anything where alternatives exist, and the funny thing is the alternatives are *always* cheaper than PayPal. Take for example getting money out of MtGox... I did a few trades selling my mtgox$ into paypal, which would 'only' charge 0.5% for the cross border fee, then I could transfer to my bank for free. Thing is I get USD and transfered EUR.
Then I tried mtgox->LR$->ecardone->EUR bank wire... LR charges 1% plus some small fixed fee I can't really explain, then ecardone charges another 0.9% and still it's cheaper than the PP solution.
PP actually uses a 3%+ spread on currency exchange, which is understandable as their volume is low and they need to protect themselves from fluctuations Smiley

But you got to love the name, if you just add the correct prefix: "No use complaining, you have to PAY, PAL"
sirius
Bitcoiner

Activity: 429
Merit: 974

View Profile
January 21, 2011, 02:48:14 PM

What do you think about Peter Thiel, the PayPal founder? Funds seasteading, calls himself a libertarian, attends Bilderberg and doesn't afraid of anything.

Iris — for better social networks
I'm not a forum admin - please contact theymos instead.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 21, 2011, 02:58:53 PM

What do you think about Peter Thiel, the PayPal founder? Funds seasteading, calls himself a libertarian, attends Bilderberg and doesn't afraid of anything.

He doesn't run paypal anymore, so you can't exactly criticize him for not trying to fix paypal. But, he's the kind of libertarian who does thing like fund seasteading, immortality research, and so on.

So he's like a lot of techno-libertarians, only richer.

idev

Activity: 859
Merit: 1004

BTC OG and designer of the BitcoinMarket.com logo

View Profile
January 21, 2011, 04:49:47 PM

And this is why i don't use PP, more hassle than its worth.
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 21, 2011, 06:19:35 PM

they did the same to me 3 days ago

We should boycott them

Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 04, 2011, 09:08:28 AM

After reading this, I know of at least one person who is likely going to want to start asking for compensation to be paid in bitcoins:

PayPal accounts in India:
  • will no longer be allowed to maintain any PayPal balance in their PayPal account for more than 7 days
  • cannot receive payments greater than $500

http://www.theorangepaper.com/money/changes-paypal-user-agreement-india.html

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

JohnDoe

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 04, 2011, 12:22:07 PM

After reading this, I know of at least one person who is likely going to want to start asking for compensation to be paid in bitcoins:

PayPal accounts in India:
  • will no longer be allowed to maintain any PayPal balance in their PayPal account for more than 7 days
  • cannot receive payments greater than $500

http://www.theorangepaper.com/money/changes-paypal-user-agreement-india.html

Lol nice. With all these new regulations and higher fees I've been hearing about the last couple of months it almost feels like they are purposely making Bitcoin succeed, in some kind of global libertarian conspiracy.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 04, 2011, 12:54:39 PM

An exchange BTC<->INR would be a good idea right now Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: