Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:28:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Use code XBT, not BTC for bitcoins  (Read 9772 times)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 06:43:26 PM

My vote (if this were a vote and I had any voting power) would be 'XC0' for 'Chain #0'.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
JohnDoeZ

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 10:58:06 PM

XCN - The "x" coin or, The "x" cartoon network.  I leave that up to user interpretation.

We might be calling them "XCoins" or something anyway if that cocksucker lawyer and shitty countries that allow you to patent someone else's non-physical invention get their way.
Still need a paperworks and money to implement it. Your "we might..." bullshit way ain't gonna do it right. Talk is cheap.
elggawf

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 11:11:39 PM

Still need a paperworks and money to implement it. Your "we might..." bullshit way ain't gonna do it right. Talk is cheap.

...the fuck are you talking about?

More specifically how did you interpret what I said to even think that a response such as yours is even remotely congruent? It wasn't a call to action or anything of that nature, just a snarky comment about how the letters B, T, and C may not even be usable in the future regardless.

^_^
Synaptic

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 11:15:16 PM

XCN - The "x" coin or, The "x" cartoon network.  I leave that up to user interpretation.

We might be calling them "XCoins" or something anyway if that cocksucker lawyer and shitty countries that allow you to patent someone else's non-physical invention get their way.

I think this guy's reading comprehension is tenuous at best...
JohnDoeZ

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 11:53:55 PM

...the fuck are you talking about?

More specifically how did you interpret what I said to even think that a response such as yours is even remotely congruent? It wasn't a call to action or anything of that nature, just a snarky comment about how the letters B, T, and C may not even be usable in the future regardless.

Huh if that cocksucker lawyer and shitty countries that allow you to patent someone else's non-physical invention get their way. Huh
childish, baseless and imbecile cheap crap post.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 12:16:49 AM

Is there anything registred as IBC? (the I is for Internet)

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
elggawf

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 12:27:12 AM

Go on....?

I get the feeling that your point is probably obvious to you, but it sure as shit isn't obvious to me what exactly you're getting at.

^_^
Synaptic

Activity: 84

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 01:09:46 AM

Go on....?

I get the feeling that your point is probably obvious to you, but it sure as shit isn't obvious to me what exactly you're getting at.

I think his point belongs to him and him alone.

Better allow him his "precious." *wink wink, nudge nudge*
elements

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 01:41:28 AM

Furthermore I don't like the usage of currency symbols anyway since they are applied differently anywhere which only leeds to confusion and misunderstanding in a global community

Exp: USA: $1'000'000.00
         EU:   1.000.000,00 €

I'll take it that you are not from the EU, or else you would know that the Euro symbol (€) is always used BEFORE the ammount, like this: €5.000.000,00(five million euros and zero cents) Wink

Hm, funny thing. I don't know in which part of the EU you are, but in Germany the Euro symbol is always behind the numbers.

Actually this constitutes my point - too confusing.

»A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.« - Douglas Adams
Use the trusted German Bitcoin exchange: https://www.bitcoin.de/de/r/5wcwts
Tips & donations: BTC : 1MAQYNLp2VJ9wWhPYg5BnrbUGzdhGXopZw | CGB: 5bgQivyHJcSWTgvLfVW87Zj23M7mcFCVBF
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 01:48:21 AM

Furthermore I don't like the usage of currency symbols anyway since they are applied differently anywhere which only leeds to confusion and misunderstanding in a global community

Exp: USA: $1'000'000.00
         EU:   1.000.000,00 €

I'll take it that you are not from the EU, or else you would know that the Euro symbol (€) is always used BEFORE the ammount, like this: €5.000.000,00(five million euros and zero cents) Wink

Hm, funny thing. I don't know in which part of the EU you are, but in Germany the Euro symbol is always behind the numbers.

Actually this constitutes my point - too confusing.

I'm in Portugal, altho i lived for several years in The Netherlands and they use the sign before the amount, like they do in Belgium. Can't speak about other places cause i haven't been there. But i remember when the Euro was introduced in Portugal and they specificaly said that the symbol should laways come before the amount, so i was thinking it would be like that in the whole EU. It seems it isn't after all   Undecided
Never visited Germany, so i can't tell.
opticbit

Activity: 695
Merit: 502

PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2011, 03:13:33 AM

Is there anything registred as IBC? (the I is for Internet)

IBC- BeerCoin

I was thinking it was Beer, but its RootBeer, after a quick google, IBC bank came up first.

Bitrated user: opticbit.
https://www.bitrated.com/opticbit
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2011, 06:53:20 AM

I think most Bitcoin are minted in the sovereign silicon nations of ATI/AMD GPUs. Can we call it ABC? Or is that taken by Sesame Street?
Peter Lambert (OP)

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 02:33:11 PM

Euros should really be EUE - European Union Euros.

I think its important we start with X, but remember x stands for nothing, so dont say it! XAU is gold, not X-gold.

XBT I think is unused, could that work?

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
elements

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 04:12:12 PM

Euros should really be EUE - European Union Euros.

I think its important we start with X, but remember x stands for nothing, so dont say it! XAU is gold, not X-gold.

XBT I think is unused, could that work?

Not true - the EU is a supranational organization not a country (at least for now).
So to be consistent it would have to be XEU.

But that EUR was chosen only shows that the ISO commitee isn't consistent anyway

»A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.« - Douglas Adams
Use the trusted German Bitcoin exchange: https://www.bitcoin.de/de/r/5wcwts
Tips & donations: BTC : 1MAQYNLp2VJ9wWhPYg5BnrbUGzdhGXopZw | CGB: 5bgQivyHJcSWTgvLfVW87Zj23M7mcFCVBF
Peter Lambert (OP)

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 08:06:03 PM

XBC currently stands for the "European Unit of Account", which was discontinued in 1979. Since that currency is now defunct, I think we can request the code be used for bitcoins.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Fireball

Activity: 674

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 08:34:40 PM

Any standard has exceptions, as has been stated about EUR. So why not push an exception to this standard too and list Bitcoin as BTC?

After all, bitcoin is all about community, and if millions of people use BTC, then BTC becomes the de-facto standard, not vice-versa.

Or, well, someone should fly to Bhutan and get them to officially use bitcoin as their national currency Smiley

Margin trading platform OrderBook.net (ICBIT): https://orderbook.net
Follow us in Twitter: https://twitter.com/orderbooknet
Nagios

Activity: 71

thevapebook.com

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 08:43:02 PM

Did I miss something critically important here? Why all the discussion to change the name.

Find something I said tip worthy? 1Nf47w5mk7a425xLTrV8U4eswqveoxwTv1
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 08:43:55 PM

I like XBC or XBT.
elggawf

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 09:21:22 PM

Did I miss something critically important here? Why all the discussion to change the name.

Because non-conformity to ISO 4217 is the only thing stopping them recognizing Bitcoin as a legitimate world currency! \o/

^_^
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 09:28:19 PM

Any standard has exceptions, as has been stated about EUR. So why not push an exception to this standard too and list Bitcoin as BTC?

After all, bitcoin is all about community, and if millions of people use BTC, then BTC becomes the de-facto standard, not vice-versa.

+1

That is what will happen anyway because changing habits is hard.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: