Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:01:12 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining rig OS  (Read 172 times)
jdoi (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 4

Hi

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 02:58:25 AM

What would be the best operating system for a AMD (2 x Vega56) and Nvidia(2 x 1080ti) mining rig? I'm planning to add a max of 2-4 more cards in future. On googling I got many scenarios of failures on different steps and am curious on how to build this rig (first one for me!)
duydien

Activity: 161
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 03:42:58 AM

What would be the best operating system for a AMD (2 x Vega56) and Nvidia(2 x 1080ti) mining rig? I'm planning to add a max of 2-4 more cards in future. On googling I got many scenarios of failures on different steps and am curious on how to build this rig (first one for me!)

Of course windows 10 is the best system at the moment. I think you should separate into 2 mining machines, one for AMD, another for Nvidia. Then you should try to read some previous threads about building mining rig on this forum.

▰   SEMUX   -   An innovative high-performance blockchain platform   ▰
■▬▬▬▬▬      Powered by Semux BFT consensus algorithm      ▬▬▬▬▬■
Github   -   Discord   -   Twitter   -   Telegram   -   Get Free Airdrop Now!
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 03:44:21 AM

If you already know Windows 10 then that is the way to go.  The only problem with Windows 10 is that is it a bitch to turn updates off.  When you get your system up and running and stable for fucks sake PLEASE learn how to disable Windows Update and do so immediately.  You cannot do it through control panel or settings anymore.  Also, do not check email or log in to any websites from this PC if possible.

If you want to try something a little different you can try EthOS.   A Linux-based mining OS.  
blockchange88

Activity: 141

ethereum is a fork of ethereum classic.

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 05:04:01 AM

smos

simple mining os

why complicate your life...
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 05:57:43 AM

smos

simple mining os

why complicate your life...

Linux is not a good fit for Vega GPUs right now.  You will get more performance on Win 10 for that particular set of cards.
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 06:49:45 AM

When you using Window10 then when have a problem, you can read this forum, a lot give the solution based their experience using Window10. ex: Windows has tools such HWinfo, that can tell precisely if your GPU is working properly or no.
CarlOrff

Activity: 826
Merit: 440

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 07:03:52 AM

Ubuntu is the best operating system, include mining operation.
Windows has viruses issues, incessant up to date and intempestiv reboots... and a lot of others issues.
You can run a Ubuntu mining RIG during some month with no one reboot, not a windows RIG.

Bitcoin + privacy respect = BitcoinZ (topic BitcoinZ)
The only decentralized crypto that complements Bitcoin on privacy.
You missed Bitcoin in 2009 ? Do not miss BitcoinZ in 2018 !
Bimmber

Activity: 210
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 09:11:48 AM

I tried and tried to get my rig to work on Windows 10, two weeks of blue screens, freezes and messing about. I got angry, bought eth os and now I`m mining from usb stick on eth os, never been happier, what a relief! Give it a try, its super easy, very stable. I now hate windows.
manji

Activity: 210
Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 12:41:34 PM

I tried and tried to get my rig to work on Windows 10, two weeks of blue screens, freezes and messing about. I got angry, bought eth os and now I`m mining from usb stick on eth os, never been happier, what a relief! Give it a try, its super easy, very stable. I now hate windows.
if for  Beginner in mining like me. I have a bit question:

Windows10 support, a monitoring, Overclocking, profiling, RGB color very easy, is it in Linux as easy as in windows?.

when the new miners want to build a Rig. their start reading and watch the tutorial such about how to build the Rig, How to do solve the problem on their Rig.there are tons and tons of tutorials on YouTube and forums on. whether in youtube/forum about the tutorials concerned with mining as much as the tutorial on mining using windows10?.

jdoi (OP)

Activity: 34

Hi

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 12:26:55 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions; guess I'll start with Windows for now. What with all the modding needed for vega 56, it seems like Win is the most agreeable with the combo.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: