Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:01:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vote for Dropbox to accept Bitcoin!  (Read 747 times)
johny1976 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1002

Developer

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 08:04:52 AM
Last edit: September 09, 2013, 08:38:33 AM by johny1976

https://www.dropbox.com/votebox/6425/buy-storage-with-bitcoin-e-currency

You have 6 votes every month, so vote vote vote...

We want everything to accept Bitcoin, DropBox is next big step.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2013, 08:16:58 AM

Mega already accepts bitcoins and (hopefully) it isn't NSA controlled. Unlike Dropbox.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 08:21:15 AM

Agree, +6!

But it's actually 6 votes every month, and there's already a topic going on about this Smiley

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
johny1976 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1002

Developer

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 08:38:10 AM

Agree, +6!

But it's actually 6 votes every month, and there's already a topic going on about this Smiley

Oh, I'm sorry... I didn't found. Also didn't read Cheesy fixed
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 10:22:05 AM

Mega already accepts bitcoins and (hopefully) it isn't NSA controlled. Unlike Dropbox.

Thanks, but no thanks.
Sure, I wouldn't use DropBox to store aything I wouldn't trust to share with the NSA.

But from a "Global Bitcoin Acceptance" perspective, it would be GREAT if DropBox starts accepting Bitcoin.

Alternatively there's indeed Mega and Wuala, who encrypt your content client-side. Then it doesn't matter if it's NSA controlled or not (it probably is, even though they're both hosted outside evil corrupt human-rights-criminalizing countries such as China, the U.S. and North Korea).

By the way, you can also put a TrueCrypt volume in your DropBox folder. This way you effectively apply local encryption yourself. Whatever you store in the TrueCrypt volume, is backed up in your DropBox as well, yet 100% unaccessible for DropBox or the NSA or anyone.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Keldel

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 10:24:26 AM

It would be great if Dropbox accepted bitcoin. +6!

favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2013, 12:22:59 PM

Thanks, but no thanks.
Sure, I wouldn't use DropBox to store aything I wouldn't trust to share with the NSA.

But from a "Global Bitcoin Acceptance" perspective, it would be GREAT if DropBox starts accepting Bitcoin.

Alternatively there's indeed Mega and Wuala, who encrypt your content client-side. Then it doesn't matter if it's NSA controlled or not (it probably is, even though they're both hosted outside evil corrupt human-rights-criminalizing countries such as China, the U.S. and North Korea).

By the way, you can also put a TrueCrypt volume in your DropBox folder. This way you effectively apply local encryption yourself. Whatever you store in the TrueCrypt volume, is backed up in your DropBox as well, yet 100% unaccessible for DropBox or the NSA or anyone.

I use truecrypt and backup to mega. Best option in my opinion Cheesy

rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 02:32:04 PM

What was that about MEGA again..

Oh yea
http://nzkoz.github.io/MegaPWN/

"Technically, we could serve you backdoored JavaScript code that sends your master encryption key back to us." -MEGA

So back to using open-source client-side file encryption, Truecrypt for instance. And at that point, having a desktop app like Dropbox can be way more convenient.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
DataShell.co.uk

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2013, 07:18:46 PM

We are launching our new unlimited backup and storage service called 'DataShell Backup' to the Bitcoin community. This service can only be purchased with bitcoin.

We provide software for Windows, MacOS, Android, iPhone & iPad.

For the launch we are running a promotion where the first five users to request trial copies in the main thread will get one month's free trial of the software. We are running this offer on the agreement recipients will write a short honest review to the comity sharing their experiences of DataShell. This offer is only open to users with three coins under your username (Full Member) or higher. We love all the community equally, but we also want to make sure the trial accounts go to seasoned users who are likely to comment back to the forum!

DataShell Backup costs 0.30BTC a year. Please email info@datashell.co.uk to place an order.

Please visit the main thread for more info.

And yes: it really is unlimited – you can store as much data as you want.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 08:58:24 PM

Can I use it to store the output of a little script I'm writing that's simply counting from 1 to 2192?
DataShell.co.uk

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2013, 10:37:52 AM
Last edit: November 01, 2013, 12:16:42 AM by DataShell.co.uk

Can I use it to store the output of a little script I'm writing that's simply counting from 1 to 2192?

I think in that instance your datapipe may be the constraining factor; but yes you are welcome to try Wink. Our introductory offer price is 0.3BTC or 40LTC.
DataShell.co.uk

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 06:49:45 PM

We now have a shiny new website - DataShell.co.uk!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: