Bitcoin Forum
May 19, 2024, 05:13:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: closed.  (Read 7910 times)
johny1976 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1002

Developer

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 09:10:15 AM
Last edit: October 28, 2014, 04:17:10 PM by johny1976

closed
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2013, 09:21:18 AM

I read the petition and I can't figure out what you're asking them to do. Are you asking them to allow people to buy and sell Bitcoins using PayPal for the payment side? Are you asking them to sell Bitcoins themselves? Are you asking them to buy Bitcoins themselves? Or what?

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
johny1976 (OP)
Legendary

Developer

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 09:28:48 AM

I read the petition and I can't figure out what you're asking them to do. Are you asking them to allow people to buy and sell Bitcoins using PayPal for the payment side? Are you asking them to sell Bitcoins themselves? Are you asking them to buy Bitcoins themselves? Or what?

I'm asking for implement Bitcoin currency. You can deposit Bitcoins, you can withdraw Bitcoins, you can send Bitcoins to other PayPal users, you can exchange them to any of other currencies they've got implemented... I'm asking for implement BTCs as one of currencies like USD, EUR, etc...
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2013, 09:32:27 AM

I'm asking for implement Bitcoin currency. You can deposit Bitcoins, you can withdraw Bitcoins, you can send Bitcoins to other PayPal users, you can exchange them to any of other currencies they've got implemented... I'm asking for implement BTCs as one of currencies like USD, EUR, etc...
Then you're asking for the impossible. The way they implement currencies like USD and EUR won't work for Bitcoins.

"We receive a wholesale rate quote from our bank twice a day and add 2.5% to determine the retail foreign exchange rate to apply to transactions that involve a currency conversion." - https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/article/?solutionId=12900&m=SRE

You know a bank that quotes a wholesale rate for Bitcoins?

johny1976 (OP)
Legendary

Developer

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 09:34:48 AM

Then you're asking for the impossible. The way they implement currencies like USD and EUR won't work for Bitcoins.

"We receive a wholesale rate quote from our bank twice a day and add 2.5% to determine the retail foreign exchange rate to apply to transactions that involve a currency conversion." - https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/article/?solutionId=12900&m=SRE

You know a bank that quotes a wholesale rate for Bitcoins?

don't care they don't care. they must care because Bitcoin is a revolution.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 09:36:37 AM

The various wallet software/websites coupled with BitPay seem to do a fair job at anything PayPal could offer.

will1982

Activity: 122
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 11:39:40 AM

Since PayPal is my only available payment method unfortunately, I'm gonna sign the petition. They're still an awful company though
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2013, 12:13:25 PM

don't care they don't care. they must care because Bitcoin is a revolution.
The thing is, it's not at all clear what it is you're petitioning them to *do*.

balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 12:31:13 PM

petition to ban the acceptance of bitcoin in ebay. Roll Eyes
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 01:47:13 PM

petition to ban this petition
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 01:51:59 PM

The whole idea of Bitcoin is to get rid of crap like paypal and banks in the first place Smiley

Exactly what is the added benefit of paypal supporting Bitcoin? If I pay with Bitcoin (and I do so when&wherever possible), it's because I prefer to AVOID paypal Smiley

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
sublime5447
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 02:01:22 PM

The whole idea of Bitcoin is to get rid of crap like paypal and banks in the first place Smiley

Exactly what is the added benefit of paypal supporting Bitcoin? If I pay with Bitcoin (and I do so when&wherever possible), it's because I prefer to AVOID paypal Smiley

The benefit would be the ease of buying and selling.

Bitcoin cant kill banks and paypal until it is large enough and widely held. There has to be a bridge between the old banking system and the new.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 04:15:23 PM

I would not want to disappoint anyone, but I would be very surprised if many people here would sign. Who needs paypal now that we have BTC? I don't want paypal to accept BTC, I want paypal to die. Anything paypal's doing, BTC is doing it as well for a lower fee. I suppose that if you don't mind paying high transaction fees, you could sign that petition.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 04:24:39 PM

Since PayPal is my only available payment method unfortunately, I'm gonna sign the petition. They're still an awful company though
Change your payment method and DONT use PP.

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 06:06:21 PM

The same Paypal that called Bitcoin users thieves or something to that effect?  Yeah fuck them.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
Anon135246

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 06:30:48 PM

I never use Paypal, but I'll sign the petition if it helps other people Smiley
Walsoraj

Activity: 686

Ultranode

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 06:39:22 PM

This petition is idiotic. May as well be asking for round-squares and pregnant-triangles.

Good luck.
sublime5447
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 06:52:31 PM

It is not point less. All that has to happen for paypal to transact in bitcoin is for them to start taking the block chain transaction details in disputes.
Walsoraj

Activity: 686

Ultranode

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 07:00:56 PM
Last edit: September 09, 2013, 08:23:22 PM by Walsoraj

It is not point less. All that has to happen for paypal to transact in bitcoin is for them to start taking the block chain transaction details in disputes.

you sound like a genius and should probably be awarded something.
Branzig

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

@WizardOfOre

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2013, 07:03:09 PM

Wow! Consider me enlightened!

Thanks to everyone who have given their view, very much appreciated. I didn't even know about bitpay.com , seems great for what I need, however I am still confused and would like some more detailed information for poor people, like me, who have to rely on a simple debit card (My card is on it's way from Pay Pal as we speak).

I was very thrilled to know I was going to be able to convert BTC to real Cash $US, in my case. I have changed my opinion 180 degrees from when I came to this post. Therein lies the problem, my opinion is worthless. I do not have an opinion based on knowledge and experience, and I am pretty literate.

To sum up, all of the posts are very helpful, yet I am still a little lost. keep the fantastic info on this subject coming.

-Branzig.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: