Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 01:48:42 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sales pitch when convincing businesses to take bitcoin?  (Read 1062 times)
paullinator (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 01:04:48 PM

I'm a strong believer that the next wave of bitcoin adoption will come from brick and mortar stores starting to accept it. This will cause more people to see the transactions in person and see the "Bitcoin Accepted Here" signs posted in stores, restaurants, etc. I also feel like it "should" be an easy sell to business owners. Ie. save on transaction fees and open up to a whole network of bitcoin owners. But I definitely get more strange "Jehovah's witness" looks than legitimate curiosity.

For those that have successfully convinced a shop to take bitcoin, what sales pitch did you use?

I'd love to get collective input on the matter and maybe even references to media that have been most effective.
lovely89

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 06:13:29 AM

Bump.
I agree. I'd like to see a common agreed upon 'sales pitch'. I talked to a guy today at a cafe who had a minimum purchase on card due to high fees.I spent about 45 seconds pitching bitcoin. I don't think he comprehended what I was saying, as for a completely illiterate tech person, it wouldv'e been too much at once.

In hindsight, I should have just quickly set up btc wallet and showed him how fast and easy it was then gave him a card with easy to understand and very to the point links and tutorials.

Has this been discussed and have methods been developed for the most effective approach?

Remember, this will induce the network effect. Exponential growth through spreading the information.

Bitrated user: vanlovely.
R0yalAir

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 06:33:09 PM

Nowadays,
It's a very tough task to explain to people how to manage their money themselves.

PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 06:42:31 PM

How do you explain to the shop owner about waiting 20 minutes for a confirmation?
Edocoin

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 08:17:02 PM

Here is an article that covers a couple of basic advantages to a business owner accepting bitcoin. Its not the perfect pitch and doesn't cover anything industry specific but its a good start (IMO)...

http://www.snapagency.com/blog/10-reasons-why-your-business-should-accept-bitcoins/
lovely89

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:31:16 AM

How do you explain to the shop owner about waiting 20 minutes for a confirmation?

If you understood Bitcoin, you would know that purchases of under 25 bitcoin (number of bitcoins created when a block is mined) make it impractical for someone to strategically produce a 'double spend'. As if someone was to 'double spend' they would have to solve a block (and have the 25 bitcoins for that block ready to obtain), then hold onto that block without broadcasting it, make a transaction, ignore that transaction with their computer that has mined the block, then after the purchase submit the block, which would 'fork' the blockchain with all transactions but the one they made, therefore keeping the ownership of their bit on the ledger (bitcoin). This would all have to be done within 10 mins (finding the block, making the purchase, confirming the purchase and walking away). If they failed the double spend due to someone else solving the block, they would lose 25 btc

The hassle, inconvenience and risk of attempting this would out-way the purchase of under 25 btc 1000 fold. If you were to buy something worth, say, 10 000 USD + then you could wait the 10 mins for one confirmation, then it is exponential from there, so if the transaction was over lets say 100 000 USD you'd wait for 2 confirmations. I think this only applies to Brick and Mortar purchases, e-commerce would have slightly different considerations. Also, 1 in a million attempts at double-spends that might happen (and someone gets away with $2) would be minute compared to charge-backs from credit card companies today.

Bitrated user: vanlovely.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: