Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:44:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Knowing your popular cryptocurrencies  (Read 182 times)
jhean_arcane (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 08:24:35 PM
Last edit: February 09, 2018, 08:38:30 PM by jhean_arcane
Merited by christian07 (1)

This idea came in mind when I was talking to my mom hours ago who is a bit interested in cryptocurrencies. Obviously, she has near to zero knowledge in altcoins since she bitcoins is the only ctc she is aware of. Unfortunately, my knowledge is a bit limited as well since these are the only coins I am familiar (because of their popularity). Please, if you have other altcoins in mind, feel free to reply on the thread to add on the list. It's good to consolidate the different kinds of coins and know what sets them apart.

note: I did not list the value of these coins because they are very volatile. Please check coinexchange.io.

Bitcoin
symbol:   BTC   
NOTES:     It was created by Satoshi Nakamoto on 2008 and the very first decentralized cryptocurrency with the the highest value so far. According to The Economist (2015), it is hardest to earn, limited in supply but easy to verify. Ideas in creating an altcoin were based on the features of BTC: decentralized, anonimity, fungibility, security, etc., therefore, many points to this digital currency as the mother of altcoins.

LiteCoin
symbol:   LTC   
NOTES:    It was created by a former google employee on 2011. Unlike BTC, it has faster transaction time, and uses a different proof-of-work algorhithm. However, its mining is more complicated.

Ether
symbol:   ETH
NOTES:    It was proposed in 2013 and went live on 2015. ETH was created using the Ethereum Platform. Unlike BTC, ETH has improved features in terms of transaction speed and fees, mining, and in security.

Monero
symbol:   XMR
NOTES:    It was created in 2014. Monero focuses on the anonymity of its owner and its fungibility, meaning, the unit can be substituted by another unit. Due to its high privacy feature, XMR is the preferred currency for illegal transactions, especially in the darknet. The privacy ensures anonimity of the sender and the reciever, plus the amount of being sent.

Ripple
symbol:   XRP
NOTES:    This was released on 2012 and perhaps the outlier coin of the cryptocurrency world. Unlike the rest of the altcoins, XRP is not based on BTC. It is somewhat centralized because the system this coin uses is based on the technology for interbanking transactions, therefore, it is adopted by many banking institutions. Controversies shows that banks uses XRP to gain advantage over bitcoin and other decentralized currencies.

Dash
symbol:   DASH
NOTES:    It was released on 2014 as DarkCoin, but was rebranded on 2015 as Dash. Its features include near-instant transactions, privacy and lower transaction fees.

Zcash
symbol:   ZEC
NOTES:    It was created in 2016 and like Monero, it has an enhanced privacy feature. The difference is that the privacy feature is optional. One example is the 'selective disclosure" which is used for auditing purposes. Like BTC, its total supply is 21 million units.

Neo
symbol:   NEO
NOTES:    Neo is formerly called Antshares,. It is famously called the Chinese Ethereum because it follows the features of ETH in terms of smart contracts and Dapps (Decentralized Applications). Its total supply is 100 million units which was created from the Genesis Block.

Waves
symbol:   WAVES
NOTES:    It was created in 2016 by Alexander Ivanov through a crowd sale. Its unique feature is trading through tokenization, meaning, it will enable an individual to create his custom token - ideal for crowd funding and ICOs

█ ▌▐▐ KEPLER // BRINGING AI & ROBOTICS TO THE BLOCKCHAIN▐ ▌▐ █ (http://keplertek.org/#)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bonsaiav

Activity: 602
Merit: 118

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 09:13:31 PM

I don`t have any other coins, other than those on your list (Bitcoin, Lite, Coin, Ether, Ripple and Neo), and i'm currently focus on the growth of Bitcoin and Neo.

Who isn't familiar with the popularity of bitcoin, almost everywhere everyone is talking about bitcoin. It seems today, maybe bitcoin will show signs of improvement, i hope the bitcoin development in the coming days is getting better.

Neo, after a few days i analyze this coin, it turns out Neo has a very unique standard, i see it when all coins find impairment, while Neo is able to survive and does not seem to be impaired. What's wrong with Neo? ...

Helene Frigout

Activity: 168
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 09:24:15 PM

I don`t have any other coins, other than those on your list (Bitcoin, Lite, Coin, Ether, Ripple and Neo), and i'm currently focus on the growth of Bitcoin and Neo.

Who isn't familiar with the popularity of bitcoin, almost everywhere everyone is talking about bitcoin. It seems today, maybe bitcoin will show signs of improvement, i hope the bitcoin development in the coming days is getting better.

Neo, after a few days i analyze this coin, it turns out Neo has a very unique standard, i see it when all coins find impairment, while Neo is able to survive and does not seem to be impaired. What's wrong with Neo? ...
The Perfect Currency of the future.
The PGC is the first gold-standard since 1914! Fast transactions combined with high stability and universal acceptance are the ingredients, the currency of the future is made of.
sclmte

Activity: 434
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 09:24:21 PM

I've put up some of my money in low market volume coins just like Ptoy, Ada and Sia. Though investors never recognize or even look into this but I'll still believing that this coins won't disappoint me in few months of holding. Truly known coins surely give us profit but considering their market trend(always high), we don't have chances to buy in bulk especially if we are in limited capital.
pooque

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 09:39:18 PM

This idea came in mind when I was talking to my mom hours ago who is a bit interested in cryptocurrencies. Obviously, she has near to zero knowledge in altcoins since she bitcoins is the only ctc she is aware of. Unfortunately, my knowledge is a bit limited as well since these are the only coins I am familiar (because of their popularity). Please, if you have other altcoins in mind, feel free to reply on the thread to add on the list. It's good to consolidate the different kinds of coins and know what sets them apart.

note: I did not list the value of these coins because they are very volatile. Please check coinexchange.io.

Bitcoin
NOTES:     It was created by Satoshi Nakamoto on 2008 and the very first decentralized cryptocurrency with the the highest value so far. According to The Economist (2015), it is hardest to earn, limited in supply but easy to verify. Ideas in creating an altcoin were based on the features of BTC: decentralized, anonimity, fungibility, security, etc., therefore, many points to this digital currency as the mother of altcoins.

LiteCoin
NOTES:    It was created by a former google employee on 2011. Unlike BTC, it has faster transaction time, and uses a different proof-of-work algorhithm. However, its mining is more complicated.

Ether
NOTES:    It was proposed in 2013 and went live on 2015. ETH was created using the Ethereum Platform. Unlike BTC, ETH has improved features in terms of transaction speed and fees, mining, and in security.

Monero
NOTES:    It was created in 2014. Monero focuses on the anonymity of its owner and its fungibility, meaning, the unit can be substituted by another unit. Due to its high privacy feature, XMR is the preferred currency for illegal transactions, especially in the darknet. The privacy ensures anonimity of the sender and the reciever, plus the amount of being sent.

Ripple
NOTES:    This was released on 2012 and perhaps the outlier coin of the cryptocurrency world. Unlike the rest of the altcoins, XRP is not based on BTC. It is somewhat centralized because the system this coin uses is based on the technology for interbanking transactions, therefore, it is adopted by many banking institutions. Controversies shows that banks uses XRP to gain advantage over bitcoin and other decentralized currencies.

Dash
NOTES:    It was released on 2014 as DarkCoin, but was rebranded on 2015 as Dash. Its features include near-instant transactions, privacy and lower transaction fees.

Zcash
NOTES:    It was created in 2016 and like Monero, it has an enhanced privacy feature. The difference is that the privacy feature is optional. One example is the 'selective disclosure" which is used for auditing purposes. Like BTC, its total supply is 21 million units.

Neo
NOTES:    Neo is formerly called Antshares,. It is famously called the Chinese Ethereum because it follows the features of ETH in terms of smart contracts and Dapps (Decentralized Applications). Its total supply is 100 million units which was created from the Genesis Block.

Waves
NOTES:    It was created in 2016 by Alexander Ivanov through a crowd sale. Its unique feature is trading through tokenization, meaning, it will enable an individual to create his custom token - ideal for crowd funding and ICOs

Well played,you really did your homework boy,you should keep that spirit do not stop learning new things everyday and im sure you will be a good crpythusiast in the future because you are spending a lot of time researching,i know how it feels when you want to know most of the coins.I actually did read all the whitepaper of each coin at the top 200 coins in marketcap and my mind blew by that.

These coins are just piece of the iceberg,there are a lot of potential coins out there that you need to know because they will give yoi a lot of profits than these well-founded coins.Most of these are at the top spot,i suggest look for new coins which has potentials so you can have x100000 gains in the future.

jhean_arcane (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 12:46:18 PM

I've put up some of my money in low market volume coins just like Ptoy, Ada and Sia. Though investors never recognize or even look into this but I'll still believing that this coins won't disappoint me in few months of holding. Truly known coins surely give us profit but considering their market trend(always high), we don't have chances to buy in bulk especially if we are in limited capital.

Will research on that. Thanks!

█ ▌▐▐ KEPLER // BRINGING AI & ROBOTICS TO THE BLOCKCHAIN▐ ▌▐ █ (http://keplertek.org/#)
jhean_arcane (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 10:39:39 PM

These are more of the Cryptos I am interested in.  Smiley I am focusing now on the major coins so that the noobs in the crypto world will know what made these popular coins famous and what's unique about them. I would also appreciate if you share what you know about the minor cryptos and what makes them special for you.

ADA
Symbol:  ADA
ADA is the main cryptocurrency of the Cardano Blockchain and named as the "Ethereum of Japan" by Forbes. It was created in 2015, which was aimed to improve the Smart Contract, which improved version is named as Ouroboros. It also has faster and cheaper transaction fees. As of this writing, it is one of the top 10 cryptos to invest this year.

NameCoin
Symbol:  NMC
NMC was created in 2011, so it is similar with bitcoin on how it was created. I don't understand how it is unique from bitcoin, though, so feel free to post your replies.

DogeCoin
Symbol: DOGE
This funny looking coin was created on 2013 and started as a "joke currency" that was developed into a coin for "tipping" on the internet. According to my research, this is widely used for donations. Its an unconventional coin in a way that it attracts many people to sponsor a certain fundraising event.

Sia
Symbol: SC
It was created on 2013. While many cryptos function as a coin for exchange, Sia is unique. It uses blockchain to "incentivise" its users when they rent out their unused hard disk drive.  

Bakemat

Activity: 779
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 11:30:50 PM

Bitcoin

LiteCoin

Ether

Monero

Ripple

Dash

Zcash

Neo

Waves

In terms of popularity Bitcoin is first , second is Ethereum and third is Ripple there are still many types of coins in crypto but for diciding on what type of coin i am going to use i think Bitcoin and Ethereum is the best choice Bitcoin for long term investment and Ethereum for short term investment because of the stable value of Ethereum it is good for short term you can also use Ripple which has also steady value that is good for long term investment.
pranazzs

Activity: 532
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 03:45:04 AM

how about XLM Stellar Lumens, XLM is also very popular!
Newboybb

Activity: 266

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 05:32:52 AM

These are some very common coin, and these are basically Top10.
Every new person entering the encryption money market needs to know the characteristics of each coin. I think it is necessary to put it in the beginner's section and benefit the newbie.

Vit83

Activity: 644
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2018, 08:19:49 AM

how about XLM Stellar Lumens, XLM is also very popular!

Stellar Lumen is very similar to Ripple. It was created by people who worked on XRP on code they took from XRP. Imho there is no big difference between XRP and XLM. Only news, hipe and not very useful on this moment. XLM could help you to find people to trade crypto. They have something looks like localbTC with different currencies. But I didn't like it.

btcefeyigit

Activity: 224
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 10:39:25 AM

When you do research in the crypto money world, you will encounter many coins. you will receive information from different sites and recognize new consultants. you will find the right coin. my favorite coins Mco Dovu Appc Trig
jhean_arcane (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 07:23:28 PM
Last edit: February 13, 2018, 09:25:23 PM by jhean_arcane

When you do research in the crypto money world, you will encounter many coins. you will receive information from different sites and recognize new consultants. you will find the right coin. my favorite coins Mco Dovu Appc Trig

Thanks! What's unique about Mco Dovu Appc Trig?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: