Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:19:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Goldcoin and Stablecoin proposals  (Read 19031 times)
John Tobey

Activity: 481
Merit: 529

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 10:28:52 PM

I realize I'm all over the place here, but here is another way to decrease they coin supply temporarily: have the protocol sell bonds. In this way, the protocol can borrow coins from users (reducing the coin supply), then make interest payments, and return the money at maturity. This would be a good way to handle a temporary oversupply of coins, but not a good way to handle a coin supply that needs to keep shrinking (since more coins are ultimately introduced by these bonds through the interest payments).

So people would have an option and mechanism to buy the bonds?  I kind of prefer a dynamic demurrage-like factor that just multiplies every coin's value by a number based on the linked commodity price/index.  People are already used to seeing their account balance go up and down by small amounts ("interest" and "fees" or perhaps "taxes").

Can a change to the best-chain criteria protect against 51% to 90+% attacks without a hard fork?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dacoinminster
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 10:37:25 PM

I realize I'm all over the place here, but here is another way to decrease they coin supply temporarily: have the protocol sell bonds. In this way, the protocol can borrow coins from users (reducing the coin supply), then make interest payments, and return the money at maturity. This would be a good way to handle a temporary oversupply of coins, but not a good way to handle a coin supply that needs to keep shrinking (since more coins are ultimately introduced by these bonds through the interest payments).

So people would have an option and mechanism to buy the bonds?  I kind of prefer a dynamic demurrage-like factor that just multiplies every coin's value by a number based on the linked commodity price/index.  People are already used to seeing their account balance go up and down by small amounts ("interest" and "fees" or perhaps "taxes").

Yeah. It was just a crazy thought that crossed my mind. I doubt it would be as useful as having shares.

There's one guy in particular who is really hot on demurrage. I don't think anybody will ever hold coins with demurrage though if there is another option available. It's a non-starter from a marketing perspective.

dacoinminster
Legendary

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 10:41:14 PM

Maybe such people are what futures and options are for?

If you want a loaf of bread in five years time, and are not sure how the price of bread might fluctuate by then, you buy a five year future loaf of bread.

If you want a loaf of bread anytime during the next five years but are not sure exactly when during that span of time you will want it, you buy a five year span open option on a loaf of bread.

Is that not how futures and options work?

-MarkM-
Quite true. However, I think the whole point is to bypass and/or hide the complexity of futures/options from the user. A client that tells you that "your goldcoins = 4.31 ounces" is very appealing if you can provide enough confidence that they will STAY worth that much.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 11:28:51 PM

How about we create a very simple system wide program with the sole purpose of keep the price of these new coins stable.  For fun we could call it the "Feral Reserve Program".  If the value of the new coins is dropping because there are too many of them in circulation then this hypothetical program would sell some sort of AAA rated bond or debt instrument like US treasuries – oops those are not AAA anymore - in order to reduce the number of coins in circulation.  And when there are not enough coins in circulation the program would buy back the debt instruments in order to increase the number of coins in circulation.  Hmmm, this is all starting to sound vaguely familiar…

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2011, 12:10:19 AM

Quite true. However, I think the whole point is to bypass and/or hide the complexity of futures/options from the user. A client that tells you that "your goldcoins = 4.31 ounces" is very appealing if you can provide enough confidence that they will STAY worth that much.

I think people who clip coupons, at least - and they are imagined it seems to be normal soccer-mom types, aren't they? - should be able to understand things like "pay to the bearer upon demand one loaf of bread" and "pay to the bearer on 25th December 2016 one loaf of bread", and that is futures and options right there, isn't it?

-MarkM- (Admittedly I don't clip coupons - too complicated per dollar-per-hour that it pays...)

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
morpheus (OP)

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 08:20:54 PM

One thing I don't like about high fees is that they discourage commerce if stablecoins happen to be priced too low rather than too high. If you want the ideal coin for commerce, this doesn't work as well, since 50% of the time there are fees and 50% of the time there are not once equilibrium is reached. I agree it might work pretty well if it is mostly seen as a store of value.

I agree high fees will discourage commerce, but I don't see any way around it. However, I don't think high fees will be all that common. The only way to find out is to create the coins and see what happens.

If that volatility risk can be transferred somehow as I described, these coins become much better behaved, both for commerce and for storing value. The "bankruptcy scenario" I described above could fail gracefully into the fee-based system you describe, but during any normal market, you would get nearly perfect stability without any fees.

I don't see how you're going to avoid volatility entirely. Also, I don't get your shareholder proposition either. I think a certain amount of volatility will be necessary to live in a decentralized world. You could remove the volatility completely if you have an issuing authority, but then you have to rely on the issuing authority to do the right thing all of the time. If you're fine with that, just go with USD and the Fed.
morpheus (OP)

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 08:30:40 PM

..I kind of prefer a dynamic demurrage-like factor that just multiplies every coin's value by a number based on the linked commodity price/index.  People are already used to seeing their account balance go up and down by small amounts ("interest" and "fees" or perhaps "taxes").

The problem with demurrage is apparent with the thief scenario. If a thief steals a bunch of the coin and sells it for a very low price, the demurrage would take the coin from everyone based on how much they are holding. This gives the thief and incentive to dump their coin as fast as possible to avoid the demurrage. It also gives others hoarding coins an incentive to sell out before the higher demurrage kicks in. You could suddenly have a spiraling inflationary problem as everyone tries to dump their coins before demurrage.

The opposite could happen if someone buys a bunch of coin at once and a reverse demurrage kicks in. People would then try to buy as much coin as possible to get the most reverse demurrage fees, thus driving a deflationary spiral.
John Tobey

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2011, 02:09:35 AM

The problem with demurrage [...]
Good point.

Can a change to the best-chain criteria protect against 51% to 90+% attacks without a hard fork?
jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2011, 06:56:21 AM

The problem with demurrage [...]
Good point.

Instead of that dynamic interest/demurrage you could just increase/decrease people's balances automatically and instantly.

In my proposal for using demurrage instead of destructive tx fees, the demurrage is reduced when the price drops and gets higher when the price rises, so it doesn't have this problem.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
dacoinminster
Legendary

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2011, 02:55:43 PM

Morpheus,

As you probably know, I've described something very similar to goldcoin/stablecoin targeting mechanism in my own thread. I give you some credit here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36453.msg451254#msg451254

I'd be very interested in your opinion if you have a moment to post in that thread.

John Tobey

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 05:57:04 PM

Further elaboration of the GoldCoin / {Insert Commodity}Coin idea in this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=24714.msg523685#msg523685

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: