Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:25:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost my job - Need Ideas  (Read 1484 times)
Madmim (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 06:20:59 AM

Attention: I am really in great trouble so please stop chasing post in this thread.

On 7th Feb I was told by my company that they stopped focusing on my region and hence they no longer need my services. So laid me off without any warning.

I have been working for them for almost 8 years. And all of a sudden losing my job was a shock. Honestly, I still can not accept this fact and can not think of anything. I am totally blank till now.

My job did not require me to interact with many people. And also I am an introvert person. I worked for a foreign company

Trying to keep my calm and also don't want to make any desperate move.

Now I am going to look for another job but it is unlikely I will succeed. As internet is full of competitions and employers don't try to investigate, and rather look for previous client's feedbacks.

Also with my savings I can survive a few months. Note that I live in a 3rd world country and not much opportunities.

So if you guys have any suggestions/ideas to share, then please share.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitperson

Activity: 210
Merit: 119

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 06:52:53 AM
Merited by Madmim (1)

Societies are so different, it’s difficult to give detailed suggestions to someone in another country. But I’d like to encourage you to try to consider your options as broadly as possible. You don’t seem to have much faith in finding a job similar to your previous one. You probably know your local job market than anyone of us, but it’s also easy to become somewhat pessimistic or even depressed after being laid off. Have you considered all possible venues of finding a job: tapping into your network of friends, family and colleagues; using employment agencies, career advisors etc.? Would it be possible for you to go back to school and study towards a new occupation where there are more opportunities available? Can you start a business of your own or set up shop together with one or more colleagues? Would relocation be useful in your situation? Above all, remember to take care of yourself. Don’t spend all your time thinking about finding a job; also remember to do stuff that keeps you happy and in shape physically as well as mentally. And keep us posted as to how things work out for you!
Madmim (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 08:52:48 AM
Merited by mprep (1)

Societies are so different, it’s difficult to give detailed suggestions to someone in another country.

Well I worked for a online company which operated in another country. It was not a regular 9-5 job in my country where I had to go to office and sit there.

But I’d like to encourage you to try to consider your options as broadly as possible.

This is why started this topic. Till now I have been surviving well and did not have to worry about money. But that problem is going to start if I don’t overcome this situation.

You don’t seem to have much faith in finding a job similar to your previous one.

You are correct. If related companies does not have demand for a position then they would not give any priority if I send them my CV. Being realistic here.

You probably know your local job market than anyone of us, but it’s also easy to become somewhat pessimistic or even depressed after being laid off. Have you considered all possible venues of finding a job: tapping into your network of friends, family and colleagues; using employment agencies, career advisors etc.?

Friends and relatives are good for when you are in a good situation. Not when are going through tough times. At least I have no one to support me to overcome this. I have to do this on my own.

Also local market job is not an option. If I try to get a job there, and even if get one then my costs would have higher than my income.  At most I will get an entry level job and will also suffer from psychological problems that comes with local jobs.

Would it be possible for you to go back to school and study towards a new occupation where there are more opportunities available? Can you start a business of your own or set up shop together with one or more colleagues?

I hold a bachelors degree and it has not helped me. Education is something which is valued where I live. Proper links does and I don't have it.

Can you start a business of your own or set up shop together with one or more colleagues?

I am working on something but not optimistic about the outcome. People are good at backstabbing when they get of what they need from you. Speaking for several bitter experiences.

Would relocation be useful in your situation?

No, financially I am grounded now. I was working on that (for personal reasons) considering I will have the job I lost.

Above all, remember to take care of yourself. Don’t spend all your time thinking about finding a job; also remember to do stuff that keeps you happy and in shape physically as well as mentally. And keep us posted as to how things work out for you!

Thank you for this. To be honest in this situation, I can not think about anything else other than how to recover from this situation. Hoping will get some ideas from here.
jimmywh

Activity: 140
Merit: 22

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 10:47:29 AM

The first thing you need to do, is have a positive attitude. Many people working the same place, or with the same thing, for decades, become so entangled in their job that it is their actual identity. So the first thing you need to do, is appreciate the opportunity to rediscover yourself you have been given. My experience is that several doors opens when one door shuts.

Secondly, if you really seek specific help, you yourself need to be more specific about what you do, what you're good at etc.

That being said, I feel sorry for you and your situation.
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 03:03:59 PM

It all depends on your skills. What can you do? Do you know programming?
I guess you could check out this board, maybe even post a "looking for job" topic.

I know it can be difficult, but there is always some job you can do. And more valuable your skills are, more you will earn obviously.
If your cost of living is still higher than any salary you can earn, than you will simply have to decrease your spending.
stantpro

Activity: 280
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 03:13:37 PM

I encourage you to remain focused and courageous.Life is not a
bed of roses.It brings some sad moments too.In your case, it is
loss of job.You can get through it by being closer to God.That means
seeking spiritual reunion or revival with God via your religion
for a better direction at this time.Then, spread your tentacles for
job opportunities around your environment or elsewhere.
You may also develop a skill that appear lucrative within you
and may also start of a thriving business after proper feasibility
studies.Good luck.
socks435
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1030

Privacy is always important

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 03:15:57 PM

Since you have internet and computer the first thing that i can share it with you is to learn CPA marketing or internet marketing this is lots of company are looking for internet marketing members that knows who to promote niche and get leads and earn.
They are both paying in USD and bitcoin if you are interested you can pm me and share with you the list and some forum that can help you learn how to promote a niche and make a landing page. that you can use in CPA journey..
Madmim (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 03:05:09 PM
Merited by mprep (1), jimmywh (1)

The first thing you need to do, is have a positive attitude. Many people working the same place, or with the same thing, for decades, become so entangled in their job that it is their actual identity. So the first thing you need to do, is appreciate the opportunity to rediscover yourself you have been given. My experience is that several doors opens when one door shuts.

This thread was opened so I can get feedback from people which will help me find doors (Ideas/suggestions).

Secondly, if you really seek specific help, you yourself need to be more specific about what you do, what you're good at etc.

I was a translator (The language is not supported in BCT btw) and did all kinds of translation needed by the company. From website translation to promo materials everything.

Other than what I said above, things I have done and good at:

- Online advertising,
- Forum administration, moderation, (other than that made over 30k (approx.) in different forex & earning related forums)
- Forex
- CMS: Joomla, wordpress, vbulletin, IP board, phpbb
- Content creation / video editing

It all depends on your skills. What can you do? Do you know programming?
I guess you could check out this board, maybe even post a "looking for job" topic.

I don't know programming. And it would not be a good idea to post a "looking for a job". People might start saying I am begging.

What I am looking for is ideas from others as many people here are trying to have a better life.

I know it can be difficult, but there is always some job you can do. And more valuable your skills are, more you will earn obviously.
If your cost of living is still higher than any salary you can earn, than you will simply have to decrease your spending.

I am already living with minimum expense. Can't decrease beyond that.

-------------------------

@stantpro, Thank you what you suggested I already do. I am in a tough situation in which I have never been before. But others may have. So also counting on it.

@socks435, I am going to PM you but I am not really a marketer type. But what you want to share might be helpful.
bluefirecorp_

Activity: 574
Merit: 152

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 03:19:51 PM

What's the local industry around you look like?
Madmim (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 03:43:13 PM

What's the local industry around you look like?

Not good.
Maren

Activity: 304
Merit: 105

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 04:26:24 PM

There is a huge number of ICOs in need of translations, you can also contact them and offer other services you are good at. You can also do bounties, if you have a great social media presence you can earn a decent living, especially if you are good at videos.

If you're good at organizing become a bounty campaign manager here.

There are a lot of options off this forum too, register on sites like fiverr, 99designs and behance, post your work and get some references.

If you're good at moderating try the modsquad.
bitperson

Activity: 210
Merit: 119

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 04:46:53 PM

I was a translator (The language is not supported in BCT btw) and did all kinds of translation needed by the company. From website translation to promo materials everything.
Have you considered signing up at online translation marketplaces? Granted, they’re more of an entry level thing, but if you’re concerned that you might end up with no work at all, maybe they could be a temporary solution for you?
Mrtree420

Activity: 93
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 07:35:36 PM

I just did a quick search for "translation marketplaces" and found a few sites that offer work in this field. Am not sure what country you are in so am not sure how the payments are process. Another thing you can try is doing translation for the millions of ICO and new coins offered here on bitcointalk. You get paid in crypto but its better then nothing. The best of luck to you. The most important thing is to stay positive. The more you beat yourself down the lower your going to get. You said you had a few month of saving well enjoy them don't stress them.   
Rkoshay

Activity: 96
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 02:40:45 AM
Merited by mprep (1), Madmim (1)

Don't know the third world country you living in but in any case if the primary language isn't English then you could probably get work teaching it. You write it pretty well, some syntax errors but nothing major, don't know how well you speak it but if you speak it even kind of okay there is a good chance you could make money teaching it to other people in your country who want to learn it.

I read in your post that you're an introverted person so granted, this will make it more difficult but as with most things the more something is done the easier it gets.  

Another idea is since you have experience as a translator free lance for other companies that need translators.  You could start by finding companies that did similar things as your previous company, prepare a simple brochure (you can get those and business cards for not much money at Vistaprint) and start contacting companies.  

As an introvert it's going to be important to push yourself to get out. I tend to be introverted also and definitely understand the comfort factor but have found that usually it's not as bad once one gets out and active, sometimes it can even be stimulating.

Good luck and keep your chin up!

P.S.  I cut and pasted the below from one of your posts.
 it would not be a good idea to post a "looking for a job". People might start saying I am begging.

As I mentioned above I have no idea where you live but it seems strange that because one is looking for a job people think they are begging.  I would think that people would respect the fact that you are trying to make your situation better, just something to think about .
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 02:53:07 AM

What country and industry you were in? Age? If you dont have kids, then it's not a disaster. Cut ALL expenses, eat ramen for a while, write good resume based on good examples and start looking internationally. Dont "invest" in anything risky. If it goes from bad to worse, you can always pick up low wage jobs like washing dishes that will hold you afloat while you looking.
bitcoin_paypal

Activity: 93
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 10:40:50 AM

If you have a good command of language, I'd look for remote job, positions of Customer Support, Copywriter, Content Manager. Try varying it a bit, it doesn'nt necessarily has to be a translation-related job
onnz423

Activity: 840
Merit: 508

Make winning bets on sports with Sportsbet.io!

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 01:03:48 PM

Learn to code, start with HTML, CSS and JQuery. You can then earn a basic income from freelancing sites such as upwork and freelancer, perhaps even Fiverrr. Once you're proficient in those and are making a small amount of money, you can progress to full stack development in Ruby, SQL, Ajax etc and can start to charge higher fees.
amishmanish
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1158

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 01:33:58 PM
Merited by mprep (1), Madmim (1)

If you have the time and inclination to learn (which i assume you have as you are on the BCT forum), you can start with something like https://www.freecodecamp.org/. They have a whole course structure starting with front-end development for beginners and going to back-end tasks.
They also provide help in setting you up with NGOs for hands-on experience and then preparing for interviews etc. They have active facebook groups and I have seen good reviews from people there.

In addition to that, if you are on the forum and can put your time to really post quality content, you can possibly join some of the better campaigns if you can generate really good content. A lot of people frown upon Sig Campaigns but they can be a source of passive income, though small.

These things depends on how much time you have to learn but I think they are worthwhile if you are willing to put some time into it. Also, when you get down to learning, you should forget about the desperation for money. It will anyways not go away. Plan your expenses and set a target for reaching levels of proficiency in programming and at the forum.
Good Luck!
Madmim (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 03:31:14 PM
Merited by mprep (1)

There is a huge number of ICOs in need of translations, you can also contact them and offer other services you are good at. You can also do bounties, if you have a great social media presence you can earn a decent living, especially if you are good at videos.

I already said BCT does not support my language.

If you're good at organizing become a bounty campaign manager here.

I was thinking about working under some BM instead of offering service directly.

There are a lot of options off this forum too, register on sites like fiverr, 99designs and behance, post your work and get some references.

If you're good at moderating try the modsquad.

Was not aware of modsquad. So thank you.

-------

@bitperson, @mrtree420,
I am working on building my CV and then will apply to some of those agencies + individual companies. But not optimistic about it.

Don't know the third world country you living in but in any case if the primary language isn't English then you could probably get work teaching it. You write it pretty well, some syntax errors but nothing major, don't know how well you speak it but if you speak it even kind of okay there is a good chance you could make money teaching it to other people in your country who want to learn it.

Problem with this again is pay would be much less than my expenses.

I read in your post that you're an introverted person so granted, this will make it more difficult but as with most things the more something is done the easier it gets. 

As an introvert it's going to be important to push yourself to get out. I tend to be introverted also and definitely understand the comfort factor but have found that usually it's not as bad once one gets out and active, sometimes it can even be stimulating.

Good luck and keep your chin up!

Thank you for sharing your experience with this issue. But this is not the only issue I am concerned about.

Another idea is since you have experience as a translator free lance for other companies that need translators.  You could start by finding companies that did similar things as your previous company, prepare a simple brochure (you can get those and business cards for not much money at Vistaprint) and start contacting companies. 

P.S.  I cut and pasted the below from one of your posts.
 it would not be a good idea to post a "looking for a job". People might start saying I am begging.

As I mentioned above I have no idea where you live but it seems strange that because one is looking for a job people think they are begging.  I would think that people would respect the fact that you are trying to make your situation better, just something to think about .

I am working on building my CV. After that I will do that. And again thank you for sharing your view but I am not going to start a looking for job thread. But will knock some doors.

What country and industry you were in? Age? If you dont have kids, then it's not a disaster. Cut ALL expenses, eat ramen for a while, write good resume based on good examples and start looking internationally. Dont "invest" in anything risky. If it goes from bad to worse, you can always pick up low wage jobs like washing dishes that will hold you afloat while you looking.

I am 34 single and honestly having an analyst mindset right now all I see is disaster waiting for me ahead. About expenses, they are already at minimum and one bad habit. And won't be investing as well because I know where will that lead me. And entry level job is what I am trying to avoid and get a job with which I can survive.

If you have a good command of language, I'd look for remote job, positions of Customer Support, Copywriter, Content Manager. Try varying it a bit, it doesn'nt necessarily has to be a translation-related job

I have this kind of thought in my mind but that you for pointing these out. Sometimes things get mixed up with too many thoughts.

Learn to code, start with HTML, CSS and JQuery. You can then earn a basic income from freelancing sites such as upwork and freelancer, perhaps even Fiverrr. Once you're proficient in those and are making a small amount of money, you can progress to full stack development in Ruby, SQL, Ajax etc and can start to charge higher fees.

Have some basic knowledge on HTML, CSS, SQL but it is not the right time to spend time in learning something new. One of my next target was to learn about the crypto and blockchain industry. And have been on upwork for years and applied for some work once in a while when I had free time but never got a work.

If you have the time and inclination to learn (which i assume you have as you are on the BCT forum), you can start with something like https://www.freecodecamp.org/. They have a whole course structure starting with front-end development for beginners and going to back-end tasks.
They also provide help in setting you up with NGOs for hands-on experience and then preparing for interviews etc. They have active facebook groups and I have seen good reviews from people there.

I will try to use what I have learned instead of learning something new. But thank you for sharing your idea.

In addition to that, if you are on the forum and can put your time to really post quality content, you can possibly join some of the better campaigns if you can generate really good content. A lot of people frown upon Sig Campaigns but they can be a source of passive income, though small.

I have something in my mind regarding this. But need inputs from bounty managers.

These things depends on how much time you have to learn but I think they are worthwhile if you are willing to put some time into it. Also, when you get down to learning, you should forget about the desperation for money. It will anyways not go away. Plan your expenses and set a target for reaching levels of proficiency in programming and at the forum.
Good Luck!

Right now I am not in a position to learn and then earn from it. Have to try with knowledge I have gained already. Suggestions/ideas from others are helpful and already got some useful ideas. Hoping more people will share their suggestions.
Roidz92

Activity: 560
Merit: 106

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:42:04 PM

I don't know where do you exactly live, but you said 3rd world country.. Maybe it is a stupid idea but all ideas are good to listen... What about Steemit? In a normal country you can't live with low money, but in a poor country many people already living thanks to posting on Steemit. Steemit is a social network where you can simply earn posting, curating and commenting with all other people. You can start from zero, like many of them, but if you already have some "power"(aka steem) there, you will have more visibility and better potential.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: