Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:01:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoiners needed in Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, etc.  (Read 3526 times)
LifeOnBitcoin (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 04:06:25 PM

Hi All,

We are making a documentary film Life On Bitcoin. about a couple living on bitcoin for the first 90 days of their marriage. You can learn more on our website at http://www.lifeonbitcoin.com.

Austin and Beccy, the newlywed couple are making a cross country trip with members of the film crew. We are renting a van, and the car dealership is renting it for bitcoin! The trip starts on October 12th from Provo, Utah. We need help getting food, gas and lodging along the way. We have bitcoin to pay for these things, but we need businesses and people who will accept it.

There are two possible routes we can take, and we need to find bitcoiners in Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York City area. We will only be spending bitcoin. We are prepared to camp or sleep in the car if we have to, but we would prefer to sleep in beds in small motels or hotels. Our goal is to get businesses to accept bitcoin directly, but if we have to use intermediaries to survive we will, as that falls within our rules. It is a last resort.

We are about halfway through our 90 day challenge, and we have been able to get almost 30 businesses to accept our bitcoin directly here locally and online. It would be really neat to meet and interview some cool bitcoin enthusiasts on our journey.

Please message me if you can help!

Thanks,
Theron H.
LifeOnBitcoin.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LifeOnBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 04:23:08 PM

The endpoint for our trip is NYC. Just FYI.
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 04:31:32 PM

Message sent Cheesy

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
btcdrak
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 05:06:48 PM

Hey guys. Just noticed lifeonbitcoin.com is not indexed in Google because you've got wordpress set to not allow search engines to index it. When that's set Wordpress adds a meta-tag that tells the saerch-engines not to index or follow any links. That's REALLY bad for your publicity.
LifeOnBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 05:15:33 PM

Hey guys. Just noticed lifeonbitcoin.com is not indexed in Google because you've got wordpress set to not allow search engines to index it. When that's set Wordpress adds a meta-tag that tells the saerch-engines not to index or follow any links. That's REALLY bad for your publicity.

We got your email on this btcdrak. Thank you for the heads up! That is strange. I've forwarded it to Connor our web guy. We'll get this fixed.
nanobtc

Activity: 601
Merit: 610

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2013, 06:23:13 PM

PM sent.

Lennon: "free as a bird"
will1982

Activity: 122
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 10:07:25 PM

While I unfortunately cannot help you, sounds like an interesting project! Good luck!
el_Tico

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

"Fly you fools"

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 10:25:56 PM

I'm not sure what specific route you are taking but the midwest is the no-mans land as far as bitcoin is concerned. I live in Kansas City and don't know of a hotel, gas station, store, etc.. that accepts btc. If you come this way, I'd be willing to trade as a last resort.
paullinator

Activity: 37

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 10:40:00 PM

Come on by to California and San Diego and ill give all the help I can. Smiley not much here yet but we're working on a few restaurants and cafes. 
killhamster

Activity: 29

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 04:33:21 PM

if we have to use intermediaries to survive we will, as that falls within our rules.

That's cheating and your rules are flawed. You've cheated from the very start of this "experiment" and to be honest, I expected it. Congratulations on proving nothing.
LifeOnBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 06:21:42 PM

if we have to use intermediaries to survive we will, as that falls within our rules.

That's cheating and your rules are flawed. You've cheated from the very start of this "experiment" and to be honest, I expected it. Congratulations on proving nothing.

I frankly don't know what you are talking about, and normally I don't countenance these types of comments with a response. I'll make an exception for you. Our rules are public and clear. For the benefit of everyone else reading this thread, here is a list of 28 businesses which we published on our Facebook feed back on August 28th (the list has actually grown since then):

https://www.facebook.com/LifeOnBitcoin/posts/193516810826959

El Azteca
La Nay Ferme
Metropolitan Salon
Our landlord
Bitmit.net
Bitmunchies.com
Lolo's Fresh Food Market
Ridley's Market (and gas station) Midway
XOskins
Bitfash.com
Phillips 66 in West SLC via employee intermediary
Sweeto Burrito
Beli / Dawgs & More
Siegfried's Deli
Naturol Fuels (a juice place)
Lau Family Farm
Icecreamconeucopia
Harmony Homegrown
7/11 via the owner
Bitcoinstore.com
Station 22
Echo Theater
Firehouse BBQ
Frost Homestead
AT&T Store via local bitcoiner intermediary
Xtend Barre Dance Studio
Bees Brothers
McNeil Printers

A couple of notes.
1. We only used an intermediary at three of these businesses as specified above. This was a last resort. The rest of these businesses agreed to accept our bitcoins directly.
2. Furb, the intermediary at Phillips 66 will accept bitcoin when he is on shift from anyone. The intermediary at the 7/11 in Provo is the owner of the store.
3. For most of the businesses, we were their very first bitcoin purchase.

Additional note, not everyone of these businesses is ready to accept btc from the general public, but most of them are exploring it or have started accepting btc from the public.

I'll let the community be the judge as to the value of our project.

As always, if you have any questions or feedback, just let me know.

Theron H.
LifeOnBitcoin.com
LifeOnBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 06:28:02 PM

A local car dealership is going to rent us a car for the trip for bitcoin. Smiley
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=198927796952527&set=a.171281793050461.1073741830.152827498229224&type=1
killhamster

Activity: 29

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 09:14:27 PM

Yeah nice copypaste there. I needed all that crap  Roll Eyes

This also means no cutting corners. If we need anything, there's only one way we buy it: bitcoin.

After some rejections from cabs, we went to the train station and asked one of the only people on the platform if they’d ever heard of bitcoin. No, you haven’t? Well that’s fine. We’ll explain. It wasn’t much later that he agreed to buy us train tickets in exchange for bitcoin!

From the very beginning. You all started out with some middleman bullshit and just kept going. You've piggybacked your phones onto someone else's contract, and they happen to take your toy money and pay real dollars to the phone company. Someone gave y'all gasoline as a wedding gift (Christ what an asshole). This road trip's going to be a hilarious disaster. Good luck surviving through the wasteland that is the American midwest.
LifeOnBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 10:18:39 PM

Come on by to California and San Diego and ill give all the help I can. Smiley not much here yet but we're working on a few restaurants and cafes. 

We would love to come to California, but unfortunately, we can't do that on this trip!
enigmazr

Activity: 27

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 10:23:38 PM

If you plan to take I-80, you'll travel through the state of Iowa. Without being too specific, I live in a city located along I-80 in the state of Iowa.  I'd love to meet you and help out if I can.  I may not be the only Iowan bitcoiner, but I have yet to meet another.  To my knowledge, there are no businesses that accept bitcoin in the state; however, I've managed to use Gyft to get most of what I need.  @LifeOnBitcoin, PM me if you would like my details.
LifeOnBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 10:28:37 PM

If you plan to take I-80, you'll travel through the state of Iowa. Without being too specific, I live in a city located along I-80 in the state of Iowa.  I'd love to meet you and help out if I can.  I may not be the only Iowan bitcoiner, but I have yet to meet another.  To my knowledge, there are no businesses that accept bitcoin in the state; however, I've managed to use Gyft to get most of what I need.  @LifeOnBitcoin, PM me if you would like my details.

I'll PM you. There is a high likelihood we will be using that route as we are going to Chicago. Can you try to get a local mom and pop restaurant to accept btc? We could do lunch with you on the way through to Chicago. Also, if you could talk to local gas stations, and get one on board, that would be awesome! I'll PM you later this evening.

Theron H.
bcp19

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 02:53:39 AM

I'll PM you. There is a high likelihood we will be using that route as we are going to Chicago. Can you try to get a local mom and pop restaurant to accept btc? We could do lunch with you on the way through to Chicago. Also, if you could talk to local gas stations, and get one on board, that would be awesome! I'll PM you later this evening.

Theron H.
I just saw your post, I also live in Iowa, but if you are travelling I-80 you'd miss my hometown.  I live about 1/2 hour north of the Interstate in roughly the center of the state.  I know from one of the in-person exchange sites that there is someone in the town to the west of me who sells BTC, but I'm not sure about any businesses as yet.  Good luck on your travels!

I do not suffer fools gladly... "Captain!  We're surrounded!"
I embrace my inner Kool-Aid.
gramma

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 03:37:14 AM

... here is a list of 28 businesses which we published on our Facebook feed back on August 28th (the list has actually grown since then):
...snip...
El Azteca
La Nay Ferme
Metropolitan Salon
Our landlord
Bitmit.net
Bitmunchies.com
Lolo's Fresh Food Market
Ridley's Market (and gas station) Midway
XOskins
Bitfash.com
Phillips 66 in West SLC via employee intermediary
Sweeto Burrito
Beli / Dawgs & More
Siegfried's Deli
Naturol Fuels (a juice place)
Lau Family Farm
...snip...

I'll let the community be the judge as to the value of our project.

Locations for these businesses, and others you run across on your journeys, would be welcome.  Those of us who live nearby would be in a position to encourage them to continue, even after you've passed through town.

BTC: 1MrNRPo7p8DEyxn87c9BCGwrbatBQeCHc1
enigmazr

Activity: 27

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 03:30:14 AM

Theron H.

I already have a couple of restaurants in mind that I think might be willing to accept btc, a gas station too I guess.  Do you typically encourage merchants to use a payments processor (Bitpay or Coinbase)? As a customer I think both are suitable, but I know Coinbase is currently offering no fee for the first $1M. 
btcdrak
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 07:25:34 AM

Hey guys, the evil meta tag is still there:

<meta name='robots' content='noindex,nofollow' />

This meta tag needs to be removed. There is a setting in Wordpress which allows you to be indexed in the search engines, that should be enabled. If you use some funky theme plugin, sometimes there are option there too. As long as this issue persists you have zero exposure on any search engine. It's REALLY BAD for publicity.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: