Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 05:00:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote bitcoind  (Read 1175 times)
Pentium100 (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 07:32:50 PM

Hi, is there a way to run bitcoind on a remote machine (in my case it would be a Linux VM), but have a local frontend to access it?

1GStzEi48CnQN6DgR1s3uAzB8ucuwdcvig
pocesar

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2013, 07:36:27 PM

yes, using the RPC interface, there are a couple of RPC clients and libraries that can do this communication. Bear in mind that opening a remote daemon to the internet is a very risky thing to do. Unless you use SSL and a really strong password, and take all the necessary measures to avoid having your wallet/funds stolen.

https://github.com/pocesar - BTC 1KLRAFHGGhE2WiRASkASatvMR1vALmkB9L
Pentium100 (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 08:51:36 PM

It will be over my local network - as bitcoin uses a lot of memory, I cannot run it on my main PC or two other PCs (1GB RAM each), so I have to run it on my router (Win2003), but the 8332 port is already in use by VmWare. The only machine capable of running the Windows client is a quite old server that uses ~300W. I then use remote admin to control it. As I do not use that server for anything else now, I would like to shut it down (and it is not very reliable too) and I do so, but then when I want to use bitcoin, I have to turn it back on and wait a couple of days for it to sync up.

My idea is to run bitcoind inside a VM (inside the router) and I already have a couple of Linux VMs there, I would just need a frontend then. Otherwise I would have to create a Windows VM and run bitcoind there.

Can you give me any links to the RPC clients that run on Windows?

1GStzEi48CnQN6DgR1s3uAzB8ucuwdcvig
pocesar

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 01:19:37 AM

there are cross platform solutions that can be wired to a command line or HTML/javascript frontend, that are made in python, node.js, PHP, etc. I myself, created a RPC library that got a client interface https://github.com/pocesar/node-jsonrpc2 so you can easily couple this with, for example, Express.js, and create a browser client for this.

you can change your rpcport in bitcoin.conf to any other port you'd like to use (that's the easiest part that I can tell from your problem).

https://github.com/pocesar - BTC 1KLRAFHGGhE2WiRASkASatvMR1vALmkB9L
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 09:14:26 AM

Hi, is there a way to run bitcoind on a remote machine (in my case it would be a Linux VM), but have a local frontend to access it?

Yes, the safest way would be tunneling through SSH.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: