Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:25:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: unexplained bitcoin transactions...  (Read 516 times)
tarui (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 04:08:11 AM

https://blockchain.info/address/14r8kcWVPR8SXLZ65MjbjtHKcyRBiz5hQb

this address is my bitstamp wallet for my mining outputs, while i recognise the deposit into my account of 0.11170761 BTC I have no idea what is the withdrawal about?

this has been happening for quite sometime and i am really confused...
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 05:43:43 AM

Bitstamp (and all other EXCHANGES as far as I'm aware) does not actually keep a balance in the deposit address they give you.  It's simply one address generated in their bitcoin instance that they marked as belonging to you when a deposit is sent to it.  When they send money to other users for withdrawals, there is a chance that the funds will originate from your deposit address.

Basically exchange wallets are a giant safe with lots of little slots for depositors.  Money from people depositing into exchanges to in a slot designated for that user, but then they're just in a giant pile and get pulled from as needed to fund other users' withdrawals and/or moved to cold storage.  They internally keep track of what balance each user is entitled to pull out of the money pile upon request.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: