Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 02:57:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Altcoins vs Tokens  (Read 407 times)
MrJake (OP)

Activity: 91
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2018, 10:57:47 PM

I just want to verify if all of us are on the same page about the difference of altcoins/coins and tokens. If you are using https://coinmarketcap.com/coins/ as a reference you will be able to observe that cryptocurrencies are actually divided into two, coins and tokens. Leading coins that we have are of course Bitcoin, ETH, Ripple, etc while the leading tokens are EOS, TRON, tether and Vechain. Though these cryptos could be converted to another, they are different in a sense that coins do have their own blockchain while tokens are derived from a platform(ETH, Omni, NEO)

|█ ▌     BGX.AI     ▐ █|
A DECENTRALIZED FINANCIAL PLATFORM FOR THE MOBILE GAMES INDUSTRY
|▌PRE-SALE STARTS : MAY 8, 2018▐|[/center
sultanali

Activity: 238
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 07:17:00 PM

There isn't much difference between the word altcoins and tokens. Altcoins are those which can be used as an alternative to bitcoin whereas the word token is often used when talking about the initial coin offering of certain coins until they are not used on any exchange site so you can call tokens a preliminary version of altcoins.
konco kereng

Activity: 105
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 07:50:34 PM

competition between them I think follow the token etherium and bitcoin
if both are down then everything will go down too but if both go up then everything will go up.
but that is seen from the movement between the two.

►► D E A L J O Y - Earn Crypto by shopping online  (https://dealjoy.io)◄◄
BattleZeo

Activity: 350
Merit: 10

Global loyalty & rewards

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 07:52:22 PM

I just want to verify if all of us are on the same page about the difference of altcoins/coins and tokens. If you are using https://coinmarketcap.com/coins/ as a reference you will be able to observe that cryptocurrencies are actually divided into two, coins and tokens. Leading coins that we have are of course Bitcoin, ETH, Ripple, etc while the leading tokens are EOS, TRON, tether and Vechain. Though these cryptos could be converted to another, they are different in a sense that coins do have their own blockchain while tokens are derived from a platform(ETH, Omni, NEO)
I think that the markets of coins and tokens are now very much correlated. When everything falls, there are no growing coins or tokens.

Diana_Lucia

Activity: 41

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 07:58:59 AM

The main difference between altcoins and tokens is in their structure; Altcoins are separate currencies with separate blockchain, while Tokens operate on a blockchain that facilitates the construction of hierarchical applications.
Kate Beckett

Activity: 280
Merit: 28

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 08:04:13 AM

A token is a molecule of all crypto market. It is an asset unit that acts within its own blockchain or as an add-on for an existing one. A token can act as a full-fledged means of payment, in other words, be an altcoin, and an asset that provides some functionality within the network.
Altoquine is any token except bitcoin, which uses its own blockchain or a fork of an active blockchain.
kaeluxdeuz

Activity: 784
Merit: 510

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 08:17:59 AM
Merited by Patatas (1), undeadbitcoiner (1)

The main difference is the way they are structured. They have a few difference which i will mention below.

Altcoins are a digital currency similar to Bitcoin, and the term stands for alternative to Bitcoin. altcoins are created by diverging from Bitcoin consensus rules or by developing a new cryptocurrency from scratch. Most popular altcoins use the same fundamental building blocks as Bitcoin. This approach is relatively easy to carry out because Bitcoin is a free, open source platform. When an altcoin forks at the blockchain level, an alternate system of consensus rules must be used and the coin will have an entirely different distributed ledger. The same is true for altcoins built from scratch. Some altcoins have different monetary policy rules built into the currency to encourage different uses and treatment. Policies such as minimum spend, or positive or negative interest on coins stored, can encourage or discourage hoarding. Policies for coin mining may function differently from Bitcoin, as may the number of coins paid out per new block mined. While some altcoins can be attempts to enrich founders and offer little new, many have found niches because of way their differences encouraged new miners and uses. Since Bitcoin's inception there have been upwards of 500 altcoins created. Litecoin, Dogecoin, Blackcoin, Freicoin, Peercoin, Vericoin, Myriad, NXT are just a few examples of altcoins.

Tokens are a representation of a particular asset or utility, that usually resides on top of another blockchain. Tokens can represent basically any assets that are fungible and tradeable, from commodities to loyalty points to even other cryptocurrencies. Creating tokens is a much easier process as you do not have to modify the codes from a particular protocol or create a blockchain from scratch. All you have to do is follow a standard template on the blockchain - such as on the Ethereum or Waves platform - that allows you to create your own tokens. This functionality of creating your own tokens is made possible through the use of smart contracts; programmable computer codes that are self-executing and do not need any third-parties to operate. Tokens are created and distributed to the public through an Initial Coin Offering (ICO), which is a means of crowdfunding, through the release of a new cryptocurrency or token to fund project development.

.#1 DeFi for Bitcoin Platform.            ███   ███
           ███   ███
          ███   ███
         ███   ███
        ███   ███
       ███   ███
      ███   ███
     ███   ███
    ███   ███
   ███   ███
  ███   ███
 ███   ███
███   ███
▄  ▄██████████████████████▄  ▄
 ▀▄ ▀████████████████████▀ ▄▀
  ▀█ ▀████▀ ▄▄            █▀
   ▀█▄ ▀█ ████████████▀ ▄█▀
     ██▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███  ██
      ███      ▀█▄ ▀ ▄██
       ███▄ ▀█████ ▄███
        ████ ▀██▀ ▄███
         ▀███▄  ▄███▀
          ▀███▄ ▀██▀
            ████▄ ▀
             ████▀
              ▀█▀
SOVRYN███   ███
 ███   ███
  ███   ███
   ███   ███
    ███   ███
     ███   ███
      ███   ███
       ███   ███
        ███   ███
         ███   ███
          ███   ███
           ███   ███
            ███   ███
.Join Origin Pre-Sale.
████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
AfterTheFork

Activity: 203
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 08:30:08 AM

The main difference between Alt coins and tokens lies on their structure. alt coins are separate currencies with their own separate blockchains while tokens operate on top of a block chain. modifying codes from a particular protocol is not needed when creating tokens while Alt coin creation goes through a complicated coding process

ripaex (https://ripaex.io/)
Marketplace
Jaemouns

Activity: 274

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 08:52:40 AM

There isn't much difference between the word altcoins and tokens. Altcoins are those which can be used as an alternative to bitcoin whereas the word token is often used when talking about the initial coin offering of certain coins until they are not used on any exchange site so you can call tokens a preliminary version of altcoins.
You have a point.For me they differ for the groups and which is might be more directed to bitcoin.In the group altcoin was nearly been apart from bitcoin in terms ofranking.Then the tokens was a next level of grouping bit they bought interesting as a crypto world process.
setifien19

Activity: 472
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 08:54:53 AM

Tokens and altcoins are both cryptocurrencies that used digitally . Phenotypically they seem to be identical, but in fact there something differs from one to another :
Altcoins ( which are alternatives to BTC ) use their own blockchain which has been derived from BTC blockchain ( which is open source code )
Tokens use other's coin blockchain ( such as Eth, OmiseGo...) Which is translated by the simplicity of their creations ( no need to costumes a given protocol )
RodneyKings

Activity: 213
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 09:03:06 AM

Never thought that the two are really different. I consider Altcoin as those coins other than Bitcoin and Token are those coins that are used in ICO's or coins that are not in the market or exchangers yet. Thank you for making this thread, its quite informative for someone like me.
InahC

Activity: 252
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 09:15:22 AM

yes coins is really different from token, the thing is, Altcoins is not only coins, it can also be a token because Altcoins means Alternative Coin which mean All coins/token which we use beside bitcoin. That's why in this forum, its only compose of Altcoin Section and Bitcoin Section.

❰❰ ❰❰❰ ❰❰❰❰❰ ♦ SIMDAQ ♦ ❱❱❱❱ ❱❱❱ ❱❱
Learn how to trade profitable!
 Instagram▲      Medium  Telegram▲    Facebook▲      Twitter
judaspriest

Activity: 1330
Merit: 100

C O M B O

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 09:17:08 AM

yes, I guess this is just your opinion. basically the altcoin and token are the same. the basic equation is derived from crypto.
there are many different opinions, I do not bother with the choice of people to say it.

D1n4R

Activity: 168

Honesty is the best policy

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 09:32:00 AM

no matter what the difference between the two is the most important is where we can take a good gap to be invested then it will be fine.. Grin
NScryps

Activity: 42

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 09:36:49 AM

you can treat all of them as cryptocurrencies.

tokens are the ones that apply on another blockchain like NEO, ETH LSK etc which are alts since they have their own Blockchain.

Hoenir

Activity: 70

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 09:38:26 AM

When you see the money you will understand differences Cheesy Just trust in tokens , follow Altcoins.
munareal

Activity: 644
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 10:09:23 AM

Atcoins and token are mistakenly used  interchangeably by most people but there is a difference between the two crypto currencies .The main difference between them is in their structure altcoins are separate currencies with their own separate blockchain while tokens operate on top of blockchain that facilitates the creation of decentralized applications. All cyrpto currencies other than bitcoin are alternative to it.
skylark001

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

GIF by SOCIFI

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2018, 02:40:32 PM

Altcoin and tokens both are similar, just the difference is about hierarchy . Altcoin has their own separate block chains while tokens are working on a single block chain platform. Both are convertible to other crypto currencies. Also, prices of both coins and tokens are fluctuated as per the rise and fall of market

hiddenmist

Activity: 199

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 07:44:46 PM

We are on the same page except that tokens can also called altcoin. Better differentiate it to COIN and TOKEN so you will not be confuse the difference of the two categorization.

Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 07:56:55 PM

The main difference between Alt coins and tokens lies on their structure. alt coins are separate currencies with their own separate blockchains while tokens operate on top of a block chain.

The main difference between altcoins and tokens is in their structure; Altcoins are separate currencies with separate blockchain, while Tokens operate on a blockchain

That is a terrible way of copy-pasting.Reported.

@kaeluxdeuz : You gave a very nice explanation which is understandable without getting into too much complex stuff.I have one doubt (if you get the pleasure of answering). Can I fork other chains from a forked chain ? For instance,I have derived a token (smart contract ) from ETH and I wish to further start a new chain from my derived chain,how feasible is this ? Technically,I'm not running on my own chain so I must not be able to derive chains right ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: