Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:13:24 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Altcoins vs Tokens  (Read 411 times)
beskid

Activity: 252
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 08:05:10 PM

The main difference between coins and tokens in their structure: coins are separate currencies with their own separate block, while tokens act on top of the block, which facilitates the creation of decentralized applications.  The main purpose of the koin is to fulfill the role of money: to be a unit of calculation, a store of value and a means of transfer.  Tokens offer functionality exceeding digital money.  They can be used to conduct community voting on key business decisions or even technical changes on the platform.  Crypto-currency helps to transfer value in the accepted way (like physical money), while tokens can be used to solve tasks in a blockchain...
DaFingIs

Activity: 37
Merit: 4

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 08:08:35 PM

I think a couple people in here have given viable explanations to the difference between altcoins and tokens but, if I am honest, I think it is another term which the crypto community is just throwing around willy nilly.

Airdrops is another one. . .

GPLAY - 1# DECENTRALIZED P2P DIGITAL GAMING MARKETPLACE (https://gplaymarket.com)
farland7

Activity: 364
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 09:50:14 AM

There are different types of tokens, beginning with those that exist only for payment of services as an internal currency of the resource and end with those that are in the exchangers.
mariayaz

Activity: 294
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 11:16:07 AM

Tokens and Altcoins are almost same although i am bit inclined towards Tokens as we can buy them cheap and earn sometime from bounty.

✦✦✦✦✦  ☸ SECURE - FAST - FAIR ☸  ✦✦✦✦✦   (https://www.bitgame.com/?trackCode=BITCOINTALK)
Bananiheller

Activity: 168
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 11:24:33 AM

These things do not need to be opposed. They have very different purposes! Coins are created as a universal means of payment, tokens are needed for internal circulation of individual projects, or they can be replaced.
lero34

Activity: 224
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 02:18:14 PM

Personally, I'm for altkoins. They are more trustworthy to me than tokens. And I think I'm not the only one. Just tokens are very similar to the pitiful resemblance of coins.
djgtr

Activity: 951
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 02:42:59 PM

There isn't much difference between the word altcoins and tokens. Altcoins are those which can be used as an alternative to bitcoin whereas the word token is often used when talking about the initial coin offering of certain coins until they are not used on any exchange site so you can call tokens a preliminary version of altcoins.
Yes it is really a big difference between altcoin and tokens because altcoin is an alternative cryptocurrency as alligned the list of bitcoin in coinmarketcap.Altcoin also is kind of crypto coins that the value of it started to grow with maximum value.For tokens I would say most of an ICO  was rewarded of it once  the ICO Project was done succesfully.They differ its other but they are all tbe best cryptocurrency that held for online earnings.
baghdatis1990

Activity: 504
Merit: 14

Miracle Tele

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 02:51:22 PM

There is a small difference between tokens and altcoins. When it comes to tokens, it is about the initial currency offer, while altcoins are used as an alternative to Bitcoin investments, being on the market for a long time. Also, altcoins are separate, autonomous coins with a separate blockchain, while the tokens operate on a blockchain that can hierarchize them according to certain criteria,

△ M!R△CLE TELE   ▌  BRINGING MAGIC TO THE TELECOM INDUSTRY  ▐   JOIN US NOW!
▐▐   40% Biweekly Rewards     ▬▬▬   Calls at €0.2   ▬▬▬     Traffic from €0.01 worldwide   ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  Lightpaper  Bounty  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram   ▬▬▬▬▬▬
lovemsngr

Activity: 434
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 05:31:58 PM

To be honest, I do not know much about tokens and I'm not particularly interested in them because I do not invest in them, I think it's risky. It’s only for experienced traders.
Omnopon)

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 05:47:35 PM

I trade mostly with coins, but tokens have a nice feature they are more volatile and I was happy to make a big profit on them.
Neo.Prometheus

Activity: 238
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 09:28:52 PM

The main difference between altcoins and tokens is in their structure. Altcoins are separate currencies with their own separate blockchain. Tokens operate on top of blockchain that facilitates the creation of decentralized applications.
kruzer200

Activity: 420
Merit: 12

= DINNGO = https://dinngo.co

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2018, 12:43:14 PM

The main difference between altcoins and tokens is in their structure; Altcoins are separate currencies with separate blockchain, while Tokens operate on a blockchain that facilitates the construction of hierarchical applications.
I'm not very strong at programming, but how really do the blockchain of the token and coins differ? I only know that coins’ chains are unique for each coin.

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■⚫●●     DINNGO     ●●⚫■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
████████  ⚫●●     THE MOBILE DIGITAL CURRENCY EXCHANGE     ●●⚫  ████████
White Paper  ●  Telegram   Facebook   Twitter   Medium   Reddit   Youtube  ●  ANN Thread
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 03:18:43 PM

I just want to verify if all of us are on the same page about the difference of altcoins/coins and tokens. If you are using https://coinmarketcap.com/coins/ as a reference you will be able to observe that cryptocurrencies are actually divided into two, coins and tokens. Leading coins that we have are of course Bitcoin, ETH, Ripple, etc while the leading tokens are EOS, TRON, tether and Vechain. Though these cryptos could be converted to another, they are different in a sense that coins do have their own blockchain while tokens are derived from a platform(ETH, Omni, NEO)

You said it right. One more thing is that many tokens are actually utilities and will come under way strict regulations once governments start regulating them.  Many coins are opensource projects that dont belong to anyone ike Bitcoin or Monero.  Most tokens are issued by private companies with sole reason to make profit.

I miss more options to group different crypto on coinmarketcap. I am sure we will soon see a strong coinmarketcap competitor and that will force coinmarketcap to push further to offer us even more informations.
Haneul

Activity: 133

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 03:54:54 PM

A crypto coin is just that: a coin, or means of payment, whilst a token has wider functionality.
The express purpose of a coin is to act like money, storing value over time and enabling businesses to account and pay for services.
Blockchain tokens do have value, but they cannot be considered money in quite the same way that a straightforward coin can. Tokens are generally hosted on another blockchain, like Ethereum or Waves: 2.0 protocols that allow users to create them using the core coin (e.g. ETH or WAVES — though there’s some debate about whether ETH and WAVES, both of which act like ‘fuel’ for their systems, are coins in the same way that BTC acts as a simple currency).
Tokens offer functionality over and above that of digital cash. They may deliver value to investors, beyond speculative returns. They may be used to hold votes by the community on key business decisions, or even technical changes to the platform.
guagua_ga

Activity: 90

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 05:59:06 PM

Coin, for instance Bitcoin, is a crytocurrency type which operates independently of any other platform. In other words a coin has its own platform which is called blockchain.
Tokens require another platform such as Ethereum or Omni to exist and operate.
brianna isa

Activity: 87

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 04:57:38 PM

A special feature that all altcoins have is that they each possess their own independent blockchain, where transactions relating to their native coins occur in. Whilst, tokens are created and distributed to the public through an Initial Coin Offering (ICO), which is a means of crowdfunding, through the release of a new cryptocurrency or token to fund project development.
zafmine

Activity: 121

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 05:03:54 PM

In terms of the purposes of these two types, coins actually function via block chain tech while tokens function on top of whatever technology or business the business is running. With actual ""coins"" they are the business per say. A coin is attached to its blockchain. Tokens are just sold on top of tech as shares.
rebel92

Activity: 616
Merit: 260

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 05:19:19 PM

I’m new to crypto but I was able to understand the basic differences between coins and tokens. If I bought tokens what exactly am I getting! Am I giving the developers money to build their product, hopefully succeed. But what am I really getting for my money. Right now it seems like a lottery ticket. Maybe I'll win a lot of money and maybe I won't.
usd.dev

Activity: 266

✹✹ Fluxorin.io ✹✹

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 05:25:46 PM

Coins with own chain from my point of view look much better than tokens from a technical point of view. However Tokens are like stocks and they are very difficult to compare with coins, because by and large this is something else.

Jonas_SONDER
Copper Member

Activity: 98

SONDER ICO Community manager

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2018, 05:31:36 PM

It would be more correct to divide into different means  "tokens" and  "currencies" . Both of them could be named "altcoins", but currencies are used primarily for payments, while tokens - are the "fuel" for operating of certain projects systems/networks.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: