Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:13:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I safe with my wallet.dat backup's ?  (Read 1101 times)
safeminer (OP)

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 09:45:08 AM

Hello Fellow Miners,

I have been mining for about 6-8 Months now, starting with alot of gaming gear we started out at 2Gigahash, and with expanding and such we are mining today at 20Gigahash, on a blade, some erupters and even some GPU power.

Now I have bought a hard disk drive, installed windows on it, installed QT wallet, made some incoming payment adresses, encrypted the wallet and made it my payout wallet for my pool. It has been paying out there ever since. I removed the HDD from my PC and stored it safely. I have a copy of the wallet.dat file and the password is stored safely in a safe on a paper. And this is where my real question comes, does a wallet.dat file get old ? As in, i do some stuff send and receive some BTC, i will generate a couple adresses, will my wallet.dat file that i made prior to all those actions include all these actions (for i dont know what is stored on the chain and what is stored on the .dat )

If anyone could shed some light on this i would very much appreciate !

Thanks in Advance

SafeMiner

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 10:38:29 AM

the wallet.dat is just like a .txt - it contains your private and public keys encrypted and they'll work as long as the bitcoin network exists

pgbit

Activity: 771
Merit: 258

Trident Protocol | Simple «buy-hold-earn» system!

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 10:50:53 AM

the wallet.dat is just like a .txt - it contains your private and public keys encrypted and they'll work as long as the bitcoin network exists
So this means then, that only one backup of the wallet is needed? It will then autosync and update with all later transactioned if restored at a later time, once other transactions have occured?

██▄     ▄▄░
▀██▄ ▄██▀
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
████▀                   ▀████
████       ▄▄█████▄▄  ▀▄   ████
████      ▄██████████▄▀    ████
████      ████████▀▀       ████
████  ▄▀ ▄██▀▀▀   ▄██      ████
████   ▀▀     ▄▄███▀       ████
████▄                   ▄████
▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
SECONDLIVE
CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS
|    Twitter    |  Telegram  |   Medium   |  YouTube  |   Discord   |    TikTok    |    GitHub    |
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   S T A K E   L I T T L E   W I N   B I G   
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄███████▄▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
   ████████████████████▄
  ███████▀▀▀█████████████
 ██████▌     ▀████████████
███████▀ ▀▀▄▄██▀▀▀█████████
██████             ▀███████
██████▄             ███████
 ███████▄▄        ▄███████
  ███████████▄▄▄▄█████████
   ▀███████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀▀
   ██████████████████████
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 10:52:51 AM

So this means then, that only one backup of the wallet is needed? It will then autosync and update with all later transactioned if restored at a later time, once other transactions have occured?

you could even keep a backup on paper. and yes, one backup is enough but may not be the safest route.

armory is a really good software to keep and backup a wallet offline/online

safeminer (OP)

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 11:00:51 AM

Ok thanks for the clarification.

Could you maybe tell me how I can store my wallet.dat on paper ? Do i have to open it with notepad ? Or how is the method to do this ?

Thanks in Advance
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 11:10:58 AM

Ok thanks for the clarification.

Could you maybe tell me how I can store my wallet.dat on paper ? Do i have to open it with notepad ? Or how is the method to do this ?

Thanks in Advance

Backing up a wallet generated by the official "satoshi" bitcoin client onto paper is hard, because you have to export each private key [1]

Also with the official "satoshi" bitcoin client when you generate a new address another change address is created in a hidden key pool. In short you are meant to create a new backup of the new generated keys when this happens. (also you are meant to backup the wallet from the satoshi client everytime you create a new address to receive coins)

Also when backing up a private key, take the address from the client and check that addresses balance on http://blockchain.info/ because the official "satoshi" bitcoin client keeps some of your coins in hidden addresses that might not be obvious.

Do you want a solution to this mess? Use a deterministic wallet where all the keys in the wallet are all generated from a seed key. Two wallets offer this functionality, https://bitcoinarmory.com/ and http://electrum.org/seed.html

This is the difference, if you have a thousand addresses in your wallet file, with the satoshi client you would have to export every key and print them all out. (Or send all the coins to a single address and export that key) However with Armory and Electrum you only need to backup the seed, this seed can hold millions of keys. Far more secure.

[1] - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=168957.msg1757503#msg1757503
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 11:18:25 AM

snip

I can vouch for electrum; I have my wallet's seed hand-written on a little piece of paper that I keep in a safe spot (it's definitely not under my mattress), and keep a few of the public addresses on my desktop so I can ship some coin there whenever I want to add to my savings.

I rebuild the wallet on occasion to make sure everything is in order (I'm a tad paranoid about it.)  So far, it's been totally secure.

kneim
Legendary

Activity: 1666

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 11:50:31 AM

The wallet.dat is the most important, I also save the addr.dat (is renamed perhaps).

Avoid a single point of failure.

1) Create incoming addresses as needed
2) Encrypt the wallet (against theft)
3) test incoming and outgoing transactions with small amounts (against password misspelling)
4) write down the encryption password and distribute it over at least 2 different locations (different cities perhaps, against fire)
5) Copy the wallet.dat to at least 2 different media, and distribute them over at least 2 different locations (different cities perhaps, against theft or fire)
I use different media. It could happen that 4 cheap identical USB sticks fail all at the same time because of a systematic failure.
Store passwords and media on different locations.

I would NOT extract the private and public keys of the wallet and make a paper-wallet of it. Then the wallet encryption does not make much sense.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: