Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 09:50:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2018-02-11] U.S. Lawmaker Wants Ethics Committee to Form Bitcoin Disclosure Gui  (Read 80 times)
vhiancs (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 15

--=oOo=--

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 12:22:52 AM

U.S. Lawmaker Wants Ethics Committee to Form Bitcoin Disclosure Guidelines

This week Colorado House Representative Jared Polis sent a letter to the U.S. House Committee on Ethics asking the organization to propose statutes that require government employees to declare their bitcoin and digital currency holdings.

House Representative Jared Polis: ‘Government Employees Should Report Any Virtual Currency Holdings’
U.S. Lawmaker Wants Ethics Committee to Form Bitcoin Disclosure GuidelinesU.S. bureaucrats are ramping up efforts to try and regulate the decentralized currency bitcoin and the slew of other cryptocurrencies that exist. On February 5, the House Representative Jared Polis who is known as “bitcoin-friendly,” submitted a request that urges the House Committee on Ethics (HCE) to provide guidance on how politicians can disclose their digital asset holdings. Polis states that in a lot of U.S. territories digital assets are defined as securities or commodities, and U.S. politicians are already required to declare traditional assets. Polis says it is “critical” that the HCE provide this type of guidance to government employees.

“Members of Congress and covered employees are already required to report certain asset holdings over certain amounts, including reporting any commodities holding over $1,000,” Polis argues in his petition to the HCE.

source: https://news.bitcoin.com/u-s-lawmaker-wants-ethics-committee-to-form-bitcoin-disclosure-guidelines/
digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 12:48:31 AM

How governments are running their countries is not of any interest for us, there are some people though, who'd like to know everything a government like US does, because they think of them as the role models of humanity.
This is kind of like the situation we have here, theymos made me a merit source but didn't really trust me with something public and with the power of reversing any merits sent to others by me.

They don't trust their own people, that's a shame, I'm embarrassed that theymos doesn't trust me. they could at least hide their crypto if they know which coins are best to have and stay hidden, I don't have any mixer to mix my source merits.

🖤😏
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1448

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 02:01:39 AM

“Members of Congress and covered employees are already required to report certain asset holdings over certain amounts, including reporting any commodities holding over $1,000,” Polis argues in his petition to the HCE.

What about our privacy? What if I do not want my holdings to be known by anyone? I'm not a criminal and I have never used Aeon or bitcoin in anything illegal, that should be enough for them unless they find some evidence against me.

Also, privacy is a basic human right.

@digaran. From a speculator's perspective, I reckon this will be a race of the anonymous coins from 2018 onward.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████████████████████████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███