Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:47:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What do you think about changing the retarget?
Good - 20 (52.6%)
Bad - 18 (47.4%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ByteCoin Poll (PLZ Sticky)  (Read 28744 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 08:47:39 PM

Yes for merged mining
No for retargeting changes.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 08:51:12 PM

the merged mining would give it a more consistent hashrate. Think of the current hashrate + mmpool hashrate = new hashrate after the fork. What i was thinking of doing was setting the hashrate at the hard fork to something slightly lower in order to increase the block times. However i am in 2 minds about that

Firstly, I appreciate your efforts.

Now. Since you've confirmed my suspicion that your merge mining patch will lead to a higher hashrate after the fork, why would you not wait to see the effects on the block times? Tinkering the code to improve the block times should be a last resort in my opinion. If after a certain amount of time, the merge mining doesn't lead to a nice increase in network hashrate then we could look to improve the block time situation with a coding change.

I would be willing to assist in an effort to market the merge mining capability to the wider Bitcoin crowd.
ahmed_bodi (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Bitrated user: ahmedbodi.

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 09:19:48 PM

i see what you're saying however i think theres a possability there may be a misunderstanding. I wont be changing the diff algorithm or anything like that.i was thinking of doing it so that at the time of the fork the difficulty will be reduced on that one occasion and the diff adjustments will continue like normal

RoadTrain
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 09:36:52 PM

i see what you're saying however i think theres a possability there may be a misunderstanding. I wont be changing the diff algorithm or anything like that.i was thinking of doing it so that at the time of the fork the difficulty will be reduced on that one occasion and the diff adjustments will continue like normal
With merged mining the current diff won't be a problem, at least next retarged will come much faster.
ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 09:40:05 PM

it would come faster but would it come fast enough? i personally dont think so but give me an hour or so and ill do some calc's

RoadTrain
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 10:08:02 PM

it would come faster but would it come fast enough? i personally dont think so but give me an hour or so and ill do some calc's
if it goes to bitparking that's 5 TH added.
Even if people start merge-mining on p2pool it would be tens of gigahashes.
ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 10:10:00 PM

wait bitparking is in the TH?Huh i thought it was in the GH Tongue
well then i dont plan on adding a static diff then. since th will get us to the next retarget in no time

RoadTrain
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 10:17:02 PM

wait bitparking is in the TH?Huh i thought it was in the GH Tongue
well then i dont plan on adding a static diff then. since th will get us to the next retarget in no time
7.8 TH now
did you speak to doublec about adding BTE to the pool?
do you have a github repository with a merged mining patch?
ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 10:18:37 PM

wow! i've spoken to doublec and he agreed to add it after the fork. I have a repository with a forked bytecoin aith the patch applied however it's not currently accepting any merged mined blocks upon testing so i have some more debugging to do on testnet

Maria

Activity: 832
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 11:11:27 PM

Bytecoin needs more pools and a good dedicated  exchange.

You are focusing your energy on the wrong target.

Bytecoin is perfect as it is. Just keep mining and STFU!

Maria.

ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 11:31:14 PM

I dont have the power to keep mining. Secondly the network has been on the close to dying. It wouldn't take much for someone to do another attack on the pool. Think of it. Go without the patch and have 13gh with 3 hour blocks. Or take the merged mining patch and have 7.5TH, a lowered diff and a stable network enough to trade on and use

movellan

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:13:37 AM

Bytecoin needs more pools and a good dedicated  exchange.

You are focusing your energy on the wrong target.

Bytecoin is perfect as it is. Just keep mining and STFU!

Maria.

+1 - Not exactly the verbiage I would use, but accurate enough
movellan

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:23:13 AM

I dont have the power to keep mining. Secondly the network has been on the close to dying. It wouldn't take much for someone to do another attack on the pool. Think of it. Go without the patch and have 13gh with 3 hour blocks. Or take the merged mining patch and have 7.5TH, a lowered diff and a stable network enough to trade on and use

Sounds like what you really mean is you don't have the mining G's to keep up your current BTC level AND solo mine BTE at the same time, so you want to fork the Bytecoin chain to make it convenient for you and a few others to merge-mine both coins. You don't have any regard for current BTE solo miners and a future clean blockchain as long as your scheme can net some quick coins right away.

Leave the BTE blockchain alone and go ply your greed on some alt crapcoin.
ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:37:19 AM

ermm..... i dont even own any mining equipment apart from 1 BE. i'm a pool OP not a miner. So theres you're whole story invalidated. And the reason i think bytecoin should be merged mined is as follows:

1) Provides a sustained hashrate for the life of bitcoin and any other SHA256 coin(basically if everyone leaves bytecoin mining the bitcoin network is still there to keep it running)

2) Fixes the diff problem resulting in 3 hour long  blocks

3) After the fix makes it easier for adoption as a currency. No company in their right minds would wait 3+ hours for a single confirm with bytecoin. The merged mining patch makes it a real contender to win the alt race

movellan

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:41:35 AM

ermm..... i dont even own any mining equipment apart from 1 BE. i'm a pool OP not a miner. So theres you're whole story invalidated. And the reason i think bytecoin should be merged mined is as follows:

1) Provides a sustained hashrate for the life of bitcoin and any other SHA256 coin(basically if everyone leaves bytecoin mining the bitcoin network is still there to keep it running)

2) Fixes the diff problem resulting in 3 hour long  blocks

3) After the fix makes it easier for adoption as a currency. No company in their right minds would wait 3+ hours for a single confirm with bytecoin. The merged mining patch makes it a real contender to win the alt race

What pool are you running?
ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:58:07 AM

crypto-expert.com the majority of the coins on there arent enabled yet tho

DryPowder

Activity: 144

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:08:10 AM

Right, as many people know i've been planning on working on fixing bytecoin by implementing a merged mining patch. As i can see im almost ready and will put it on testnet in a day or 2. I also have a pool ready which will have merged mining on the backend but i will auto-exchange daily and double up the block reward.
Now here comes you're part:

I would like people's opinion on the following:
1) The Merged Mining Patch
2) Changing the retarget structure so it retargets more frequently, (every 30 mins?)
3) When to hard fork?

1) Good
2) Bad
3) Now

I´m solo mining now, when you have your fork and pool ready i give you a couple GH´s.

Keep Your Powder Dry
ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:13:44 AM

Right, as many people know i've been planning on working on fixing bytecoin by implementing a merged mining patch. As i can see im almost ready and will put it on testnet in a day or 2. I also have a pool ready which will have merged mining on the backend but i will auto-exchange daily and double up the block reward.
Now here comes you're part:

I would like people's opinion on the following:
1) The Merged Mining Patch
2) Changing the retarget structure so it retargets more frequently, (every 30 mins?)
3) When to hard fork?

1) Good
2) Bad
3) Now

I´m solo mining now, when you have your fork and pool ready i give you a couple GH´s.

Thanks bro,  i dont want to hard fork right now since it isnt enough notice and secondly the patch doesnt work properly yet. every merged mined block was rejected. But im not plannning on changing anything to do with the retargets with bitparking hashrate the pool should fly through the blocks

movellan

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:21:18 AM

crypto-expert.com the majority of the coins on there arent enabled yet tho

This doesn't make any sense.

1) You say your personal hashing power is limited to 1 block erupter.

2) You run what appears to be a startup pool that currently hosts 3 alt coins, only one of which has hash stats/miners.

3) You are promoting forking the blockchain of a coin you neither mine nor host on your pool.

By your own admission you don't appear to be involved with Bytecoin at all. Why all the fuss about making changes to BTE?

ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:27:33 AM

because bytecoin is a coin i care about which i've been spending money on creating custom pool software for it. Anyone who's used my pool's has seen the software on them change daily as i try out before deploying it on the bytecoin pool. If you guys dont trust me ask Digigami who runs the bytecoin P2Pool. unsure if i've still got the URL but it should be at bte1.crypto-expert.com or bte2.crypto-expert.com

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: