Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 10:52:43 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I need a safe way to sell my GPU -- any ideas?  (Read 341 times)
geekcryptogal (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 07:03:37 AM

I want to sell 5 x 1070 TI.   But I am worried if I sell them on ebay I might get scammed by a buyer.  I'd sell them individually and spaced apart a couple hours to make sure I don't get the same buyer.  What are the chances I could lose a lot of money?  If I video myself showing the card put in box at the UPS store and handed over to clerk, should that be enough evidence to show ebay to prove I mailed what I promised?  I have 100% feedback over the past few years.  HOw much does ebay do to protect the sellers?  Do they insure against this?  They make enough commisions on the sales it seems like they should protect the sellers as well no?

szafa

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 07:15:03 AM

Before you send i think you get money.
blockchange88

Activity: 141
Merit: 4

ethereum is a fork of ethereum classic.

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 07:16:01 AM

I want to sell 5 x 1070 TI.   But I am worried if I sell them on ebay I might get scammed by a buyer.  I'd sell them individually and spaced apart a couple hours to make sure I don't get the same buyer.  What are the chances I could lose a lot of money?  If I video myself showing the card put in box at the UPS store and handed over to clerk, should that be enough evidence to show ebay to prove I mailed what I promised?  I have 100% feedback over the past few years.  HOw much does ebay do to protect the sellers?  Do they insure against this?  They make enough commisions on the sales it seems like they should protect the sellers as well no?

use paypal only, and accept paypal only. i sell mobos and old shit i dont need anymore on ebay all the time.
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2018, 07:16:38 AM

If you want to avoid online scammers, sell them locally for cash via Craigslist or something of the sort, meeting only at public places. Seller protection is relatively easy here. (Buyer protection, not so much, since most buyers don't lug around a test system to confirm the cards are working.)

Chances are however, that eBay is fine, if you've been a long-term seller with good feedback. Requesting signature confirmation, sending the buyer a tracking number, and recording a video of yourself putting the card in the box before it's taken by the carrier is probably sufficient for most realistic cases. (Note that your video doesn't verify the card is in working condition, so there's a small chance someone could claim it's defective and send back a different, broken, unit, so ensure that you have proof of the serial number...)

Mining hardware scammers are very creative, so there's not really any guarantees, but I think there are still steps to make transactions reasonably safe over eBay.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
STATIK

Activity: 162

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 07:24:41 AM

PAYPAL 3% transaction fee, Ebay auction Final value sale 10% fee. Accept paypal and no chance of any issues, complete sale enter tracking and done, you can also set to only accept offers from positive established buyers
nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 07:28:16 AM

Ebay is fine if you follow the rules and read the warnings.  The only time you get scammed is if you deviate from what the ebay process is.  As a seller, this has only been attempted on me once, but it was when I was selling a GTX 1060.  I received the payment , which also gives you the address to ship to.  I then got a message from the buyer saying he had 2 addresses and it wouldn't let him change it, so he needed me to send it somewhere else.  Well the buyer info the paypal provided me was a lady in Idaho, this was some arabian name in New York, so I knew it was a scam.  I opened a case with ebay and never sent it, and got my final fee waived.  Listed it again and sold it with no problems
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 09:27:39 AM

Just sell at a public place on Craigslist for a fair price.

Don't do Ebay. Most likely there won't be issues but why burn mental energy working about a dispute.

Biggest issue is if mining profits halve again and you risk the buyer just saying it's broken just to get their money back.

Like the old saying

"Right now is the best time to sell mining hardware at a great price but also high chance of getting screwed"
BTC22

Activity: 322
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 07:36:11 PM

PM me. I might be interested.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 09:35:30 PM

If you end up putting them on eBay, post the link or pm it to me.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
geekcryptogal (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:57:13 AM

Trying to sell a GPU on eBay .. really good price too.. and even though I put in the description they must have a strong feedback history (incluidng selling history) or I'll cancel, they buy it anyways.  Had to cancel it twice.  Once with someone who created an account 3 days ago with ZERO feedback, and another perosn who had 1 feedback in teh past year, with no selling feedback.

I think ebay dings me each time too.. I've been selling on that site for 7 years without a single issue and now I get this.

They need to offer an option for people selling expensive items such as these that the buyer must have X amt of selling feedback along with x amount of buying feedback.. it doesn't make sense that ebay gets to decide this for me, and ding me if I cancel the order.

If ebay is going to keep doing this and I keep getting dinged... F THEM!  They get ISNANE 10% profit off of me and can't protect me by simply giving me the option who I want to sell to?!?!..SCREW them.. I'll take my sells elsewhere.

I am NOT gonna get scammed for a $650 video card.
tadeus1

Activity: 140
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:05:54 AM

Just don't use ebay for items like this.
Probably there would be plenty of people here who would buy it if the price is reasonable.
geekcryptogal (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:14:23 AM

I just don't know how to go about it.  craigslist buyer probably fears item doesn't work.  I suppose I could bring ot their home with my boyfriend and have them check it out before purchasing.. iwon't let them know my address.  Also I fear counterfeit bills but thankfully my boyfriend checks $100 bills all day at work.

Already two people tried to scam me on ebay.. obviously they are scammers.  Buying such an expensive item with no history.. I called ebay and they act like I am in the wrong for suggesting they could be fraudulent.. LOL.. yeah right.
geekcryptogal (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:17:10 AM

I could see them mining with it for two weeks then finally let me know it is "not as described" or "defective" and send it back.  Essentially me paying for two way shipping so they can mine with it two weeks.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:31:50 AM

You can try to weed out unwelcome bidders you ASSUME may be trying to defraud you, but the reality is it's too easy for ANYONE to file a fraudlent return under a false pretense on eBay. It's simply a matter of opening a claim and typing a sentence in a box. eBay does not require the buyer to cooperate with communicating or to prove anything, except they sent the item back once eBay said they could. That's the reality of selling high risk items on eBay. Especially in computer and cell phone categories, which are the ones with the most problems.
geekcryptogal (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:36:01 AM

Yeah I think they have 30 days to say something is wrong with it lol.  Imagine them mining with several cards for a month and returning them all .. they pocket several hundred dollars.

I am starting to feel I am stuck with these cards.  I just offered to sell for $550 on local craigslist.  Hopefully someone will buy.
blockchange88

Activity: 141
Merit: 4

ethereum is a fork of ethereum classic.

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 08:06:27 AM

Yeah I think they have 30 days to say something is wrong with it lol.  Imagine them mining with several cards for a month and returning them all .. they pocket several hundred dollars.

I am starting to feel I am stuck with these cards.  I just offered to sell for $550 on local craigslist.  Hopefully someone will buy.

you could sell them on amazon. i think amazon takes a bigger cut, but with the exorbitant prices and proper price range for your card, itll go quick. if i were you, id stick them in a corner with SMOS, and forget about it. let that shit print your ticket to the moon.
MasscoinDev

Activity: 10

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 08:15:34 AM

State no returns on e-bay or just do the 7-day return policy

Ebay should be good, i myself am also getting rid of 4 1080 Tis
Turocik

Activity: 34

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 08:17:06 AM

years ago I sold used 4-5 GPUs on ebay (europe) without any issues
escrowONme

Activity: 38

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 08:18:36 AM

Instead of using ebay or any other charbackeable method just use crypto plus escrow and that's it.
While the buyer may not be trusthoworty but escrow make it safe.
MasscoinDev

Activity: 10

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 08:25:18 AM

Instead of using ebay or any other charbackeable method just use crypto plus escrow and that's it.
While the buyer may not be trusthoworty but escrow make it safe.

Thats a great idea, do you have any recommendation on where to go for escrow service?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: