Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:50:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If you guys want Bitcoin to heat up again ....  (Read 5579 times)
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 01:52:12 AM

They preemptively banned everyone in the US for reasons which are unclear. Considering the US is currently the largest underserved market, I hope they had really good reasons.
It makes sense to pretend that you're not serving US citizens. There's just too much potential shit awaiting you if you don't. Sure, US players can freely lie about their location, but that moves the legal issue to them.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 04:24:50 AM

In July 2007 I brain-stormed algorithms for a distributed poker network and concluded that it could not be done. Years later a commenter introduced me to bitcoin with the post "You may have failed, but it is not impossible, my friend. In fact, I know distributed, fully-decentralized poker iis possible, for it exists." Certainly a game could be played using nothing more than clients submitting scripts to the block chain. But it's about 1000x too slow. What is 'holy' about ten minutes anyway? Could we fork a new chain with much lower difficulty, producing 10 blocks per second just for gaming and rapid micro transactions?

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
bitbot

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 04:59:59 AM

Suggestion A. in the original post is just a dumb way to lose your bitcoins

no one has anything worth purchasing with bitcoins when the value of bitcoins is so low

Anonymous BITCOIN Exchange: https://www.TRADEHILL.COM
Meatpile

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 05:23:13 AM

In July 2007 I brain-stormed algorithms for a distributed poker network and concluded that it could not be done. Years later a commenter introduced me to bitcoin with the post "You may have failed, but it is not impossible, my friend. In fact, I know distributed, fully-decentralized poker iis possible, for it exists." Certainly a game could be played using nothing more than clients submitting scripts to the block chain. But it's about 1000x too slow. What is 'holy' about ten minutes anyway? Could we fork a new chain with much lower difficulty, producing 10 blocks per second just for gaming and rapid micro transactions?

Interesting idea sir. But you are still going to need a centralized exchange to switch between your fastcoins and regular bitcoins / cash/ whatever

Unless of course they get that scripting inside of bitcoin working.... in which case it could pay out from a pool based on submitting and verified winning hands?

I have not read up enough on the internal bitcoin scripting yet.

netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 06:52:54 AM

Interesting idea sir. But you are still going to need a centralized exchange to switch between your fastcoins and regular bitcoins / cash/ whatever

Unless of course they get that scripting inside of bitcoin working.... in which case it could pay out from a pool based on submitting and verified winning hands?

I don't see the exchange of 'fastcoins' as a problem. Indeed that's the whole point. People are exchanging bitcoins every day. Otherwise they'd have zero value.

(scripting DOES work in the bitcoin network)

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
checkmate

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 01:04:25 PM

bitcoins isn't going to be good for vendors until most of the population knows what it is.

Well; depends on the shop system as well.

What I would be interested in is something like MMOGA (a German site where you can buy keys for online games like WoW e.g.).

Just connect the price (in BTC) to the current $/€/BTC exchange + 5% fee for the shop, or something like that.

I know many, many people who actually wait for a useful shop where they can pay in BTC.
That would also make BTC more interesting for the usual PC gamer; they can mine with their (ATI) cards when they aren't home and are able to buy some little things with their mined BTCs... especially European people wait for something like this.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 07:02:47 PM

bitcoins isn't going to be good for vendors until most of the population knows what it is.

Well; depends on the shop system as well.

What I would be interested in is something like MMOGA (a German site where you can buy keys for online games like WoW e.g.).

Just connect the price (in BTC) to the current $/€/BTC exchange + 5% fee for the shop, or something like that.

I know many, many people who actually wait for a useful shop where they can pay in BTC.
That would also make BTC more interesting for the usual PC gamer; they can mine with their (ATI) cards when they aren't home and are able to buy some little things with their mined BTCs... especially European people wait for something like this.

www.bitcoincodes.com

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: