Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 09:24:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Block Erupter Resetting Rigs, Perhaps we are starting to see a Failure rate.  (Read 1792 times)
Spectrome (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 09:34:56 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2013, 11:34:32 PM by Spectrome

I've been running my BE for a couple of months now, kind of as a novelty as I've been contemplating purchasing a AM Blade 10Gh and thought I'd see how reliably this functions.

Days ago my rig started to reset, and then started to become more frequent, ive checked the unit on multiple PC's, with/without powered hubs and it appears this thing is dead. This thing cant be connected without a hard reset back to bios screen, or mine for longer than 24 hours without collapse

Ive checked the board and nothing appears to be shorted or burnt, however this thing is officially a brick now.

I hope i'm the only one because I cant find any problems with these things online minus the price of them.

I thought i'd share this in case anyone is unsure if these ASIC's will last anywhere close to ROI, as the difficulty rise and BTC price is already an issue.

I'm not saying these things are faulty i'm just saying mine failed in less than 3 months and i didn't even overclock the thing.

Some food for thought.
eb3full
VIP

Activity: 198
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 02:34:19 AM

You probably overheat it, they get really hot without a fan.

"With four parameters I can fit an elephant, and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk." John von Neumann
buy me beer: 1HG9cBBYME4HUVhfAqQvW9Vqwh3PLioHcU
dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2013, 03:18:50 AM

Block Erupters have no "Bios" screen...

You must have kind of head unit....ie a computer or a raspberry etc...

If you are using a raspberry it could be that the SDcard has become corrupted (I'm getting this problem A LOT) in which case you need to re-image it.
Spectrome (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 12:11:30 PM
Last edit: September 12, 2013, 01:02:34 PM by Spectrome

Nice try guys,

The block Erupter was hosted on a Quad Core server initially ( yes an actual Intel PC system), then tested on a AMD FX & 3x 7950's (with and without GPU's), An Acer laptop (i5, 8gb ram)

Power supply for all my machines are above the 1000w mark because of previous GPU rig operations,( which i've never had a card fail on me since 2012 and some of them were bought used on the last legs)

Cooling was adequate as I had a USB desk fan always pointing directly at it.

I know its hard for some of you to comprehend but did you ever think that its the manufacturer rushing these things out so no basis of proper testing could occur.

http://s22.postimg.org/ebx0jf0vx/riplittlekey.jpg

"Nah it's the silly miner hes probably using some Ghetto gas generator he powers with moonshine and his cooling option is his sister constantly blowing on it."

lol

As to say i will not be buying any more AM products after this experience, better to wait until all these companies slow down with releases of new technology and that the battlefield of the marketplace becomes somewhat more sensible for investors.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 12:20:42 PM

Personally I think the Erupters were clocked too high from standard factory settings.

Spectrome (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 01:18:53 PM

I'm telling you how it is, believe what you want.

I've never been a fan of overclocking even when it comes to gaming, as I'd prefer the chance at reselling my previously owned equipment rather than ending up in the burnt rigs thread.

This thing was supposed to be plug and play, couldn't withstand the tests of time in North England at 333mhashes.

What is AsicMiners policy on RMA? is it anything like ATI........ obviously not.

I can accept a loss because I MADE THE PURCHASE AND TOOK THE RISK it then becomes a lesson, or you would see a more irrational person posting here.

wpgdeez

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 01:44:31 PM

How many eruptors have died on you? I have 50 going without a single problem on any for almost 2 months.
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2013, 02:12:38 PM

like there is ever any issues with goods manufactured in China, pls
Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 02:21:48 PM

This thing was supposed to be plug and play, couldn't withstand the tests of time in North England at 333mhashes.

What is AsicMiners policy on RMA? is it anything like ATI........ obviously not.

There is a 6-month guarantee on these, which means AsicMiner probably expect most of them to survive that long, but accept there will be a few failures.

Spectrome (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 02:24:13 PM

Just the 1.

just because i love you all that little bit more.............

here is rig number 4 this key is going nowhere near my current miners.

currently the lesser of my previous miners currently working as an Apache server monkey downstairs ,  ASUS Mobo, 4gb Ram, 60gb SSD, 600w OCZ PSW.

Literally nothing is connected to this thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XOxvGnH1-4

Boom
wpgdeez

Activity: 728

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 03:03:14 PM

1 bad eruptor is pretty insignificant statistically.
Spectrome (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 03:18:57 PM
Last edit: September 12, 2013, 03:30:15 PM by Spectrome

im gunna wrap this up with a last message then im gunna finish selling the rest of my GPU's.

These products have not been out for long and yes I'm only 1 person out of the orders. maybe the assembly process on my Key spazzed out for a .1 of a ms. and this is an isolated case. But would you rather have people report back on adventures or should i have just said nothing.

The internet is what it is, and in a flimsy market as it is every scrap of information is vital for future decision making.

I do have faith in BTC, just right now we have come a long way from mining on 1 cpu in the bedroom.
kabopar

Activity: 616

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 10:55:45 AM

looks like your motherboard's USB ports did not cope with the power demand of your BE.  Most people use the BE's on a powered USB hub, rather than plugging them directly into a PC USB port.  You may be lucky if your MB has self-resetting fuses on the USB power (otherwise you may have killed those ports)....
You may find that your BE is alive and well when plugged into a powered USB hub with sufficient current capacity (about 500mA per BE).

Good luck
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 11:58:17 AM

The Erupter resellers are supplied with extra miners to replace the faulty ones.  ASICMiner expects a 2% failure rate in the warranty period. 

I have 11 of them, and they're all working away fine, and some of those are well out of warranty now.  If one pops, then I'll feel like I'm unlucky. 
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 11:10:56 PM

1 bad eruptor is pretty insignificant statistically.

I have two dead out of 20.
EfterlysT

Activity: 425
Merit: 109

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 11:25:10 PM

I had 105 from the beginning, all working perfect 24/7.
eb3full
VIP

Activity: 198
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 12:38:52 AM

OP you're an anomaly. There's an error rate for hardware no matter who manufactures it.

"With four parameters I can fit an elephant, and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk." John von Neumann
buy me beer: 1HG9cBBYME4HUVhfAqQvW9Vqwh3PLioHcU
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: