Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 11:37:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I tried sending with zero fees, lesson learned!  (Read 2004 times)
ratty (OP)

Activity: 261
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 04:39:36 AM
Last edit: September 12, 2013, 08:32:15 AM by ratty

I used blockchain.info and selected "Frugal" for fees, and its been over a day and the transaction is stuck. I accept responsibility for my mistake, I surely won't be doing that again!
Anyway, I'm trying to unstuck the coins, I tried this:
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/570/is-there-a-way-to-undo-transactions-with-a-too-low-fee/2415#2415
But now I think I made it worse, now neither transaction is getting confirmed, and blockchain.info's block explorer says I'm a dirty doublespender and people should watch out for me. Sad

https://blockchain.info/tx-index/88939498 first try, where I sent with no fee
https://blockchain.info/tx-index/88838625 second try, where I hacked the old transaction out of my wallet and tried sending it with a fee this time

So, anyone out there have any advice for me? Do I just have to wait 3 days? Obviously I learned my lesson and will never try sending with "Frugal" again.

update: and... I guess I just had to wait, I kinda freaked out a little because a full day had gone by. I guess zero fee transactions can really just always go through and its just a matter of time?
mikis

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 10:36:20 AM

yep, happened the same to me, i just waited and it worked out on its own.
then i realized i didn't want to pay a minimal fee, compared to all other services...
marcovaldo

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 10:37:57 AM

You should have waited, it would have confirmed sooner or later ...

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

The First Locally-Embedded, Yet Global, Crypto-Bank
TELEGRAM    FACEBOOK   TWITTER    YOUTUBE    LINE

███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
JOIN WHITELIST NOW!
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 12:58:59 PM

You should not send without fees. The transaction will be lost in cyberspace, or something like that.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 01:02:59 PM

You should not send without fees. The transaction will be lost in cyberspace, or something like that.
It will eventually get confirmed or the transaction will expire but the bitcoins will never disappear.
yakuza699

Activity: 935
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 02:27:49 PM

It will eventually get confirmed or the transaction will expire but the bitcoins will never disappear.

what will happen if the transaction will expire and how much time does it going to take for the transaction to expire Huh

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄
BTC BitDice.me 
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 02:34:02 PM

what will happen if the transaction will expire and how much time does it going to take for the transaction to expire Huh
I don't know how much time it takes to expire but then it's like the transaction never existed. The bitcoins will be patiently waiting in the sending wallet.
Ecrypton

Activity: 36

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2013, 03:53:02 PM

Fortunately to speed up the transaction amount is extremely small, so I allways set a fee.
Otherwise I do not have time to wait so that small fee doesn't seams like a problem  Smiley
I was wondering how long transaction will take to go without adding fee.
Now I see that this is very looong period Shocked
Speakeron

Activity: 47

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 04:42:05 PM

A zero-fee transaction will still get confirmed, although it may take a day or so. Although this is certainly longer than it used be as mining gets more commercialized, this really shouldn't be the case since the 25BTC reward overwhelms current transaction fees so miners shouldn't care. It's anyway a good habit to give a fee because this is the only way Bitcoin can work long term.
selling_minirig

Activity: 3

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 05:03:52 PM

A zero-fee transaction will still get confirmed, although it may take a day or so. Although this is certainly longer than it used be as mining gets more commercialized, this really shouldn't be the case since the 25BTC reward overwhelms current transaction fees so miners shouldn't care. It's anyway a good habit to give a fee because this is the only way Bitcoin can work long term.

Yes this is true.  As the reward continues getting halved, the built in rewards of the system will go down.  These fees will be where the source of mining income comes from when all of the bitcoins have been mined.
ratty (OP)

Activity: 261

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 07:14:25 PM
Last edit: September 12, 2013, 08:47:45 PM by ratty

I'll be giving a fee from now on.
I had read in some places that transactions can just loop around forever, since there's no timestamp in the data, a given peer will timeout a transaction, then receive the same transaction from another peer and not know it has already seen it. That can't be true though unless someone can point to a transaction that has looped for a long time, so I'm considering it heresay for now. So there must be something in place to eventually process zero fee transactions?
fciacio

Activity: 2

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 11:01:18 PM

In fact, it could take more than a day... According to what i have read, it could actually take even more than 3 days to be fully processed.
jeffm

Activity: 9

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 12:20:07 AM

Yikes! I don't understand the size/age calculation to determine if the client will include the trans in a block.
crazynoggin

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 03:54:08 AM

I sent something with a 0.0001 fee a while back and almost two weeks later it still hasnt confirmed haha. Send each transaction with at least a 0.0002 fee. Lesson learned myself.

Use my referral link if you want: https://primedice.com/?ref=Crazynoggin
shuttleclock

Activity: 50

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 06:24:21 AM

So far I have never been able to send something with zero fee with blockhain.info wallet.
Let alone zero fee, even when I add frugal fees (0.1 mBTC / 1000 bytes), it was never being confirmed and eventually be reversed back..

Speakeron

Activity: 47

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 08:56:59 PM

In fact, it could take more than a day... According to what i have read, it could actually take even more than 3 days to be fully processed.

Indeed it could. But as well as reading about it, you could actually try it. The last transaction I sent with zero-fee was clearing out a mtgox account  of about 1 BTC a couple of weeks ago; it took 26 hours to make it into a block. Of course 'fully processed', I presume, is six blocks which is going to happen automatically after the first block and only depends on block-solving variance (which affects everyone and should normally be complete in about an hour).
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:07:05 PM

No need to try it. Just scroll to the end of the unconfirmed transactions list when blockchain.info is back up and you can see all the transactions sitting there for days on end not being touched.
brotz

Activity: 12

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:14:08 PM

Yikes! I don't understand the size/age calculation to determine if the client will include the trans in a block.
It goes (btc in satoshi*confirmation)/size in byte > 57600000

So if you want to send 10btc with a standard sized transaction of 250 bytes:
1000000000*x/250> 57600000

--> x > 14.4

So you will need at least 15 confirmations to send 10 btc for free with fast confirmation.

If you send small amount like 0.001btc:
100000*x/250> 57600000

--> x > 144000

This is why it takes forever for small transactions to confirm.

marcovaldo

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:19:25 PM

I have still some transactions stuck for 3 weeks Sad

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

The First Locally-Embedded, Yet Global, Crypto-Bank
TELEGRAM    FACEBOOK   TWITTER    YOUTUBE    LINE

███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
JOIN WHITELIST NOW!
william_

Activity: 6

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:40:10 PM

My transactions have always been pretty quick, even though I never use fees... I don't really know why.  I don't think they've ever been more than a few hours, certainly always within the day. 

I usually only send 0.5-10 BTC transactions or so.  I don't think bitcoin is very good for micropayments, I guess; if I'm paying for a service or something, I just pay for longer in advance / group the payment with other payments.

I've never used a blockchain wallet though, but I used to use other wallet services (all defunct now I believe).
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: