Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:44:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about a very old wallet  (Read 202 times)
imjustagirl (OP)

Activity: 118
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 02:53:21 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Hi, my friend asked me this question today. Way back he set up one of the first bitcoin clients, which generated coins. He generated a bitcoin genesis transaction, however it never synchronized with the network, maybe due to his firewall. The transaction of generating the coins never made it to the network, so this transaction is useless now, right? There is no way to write it into the network, and no way to reclaim those coins, am I correct?

1JPnqMd1Q43L3KbZ7SoTSdRCD2aLj2sikF Tip Me!
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aplistir

Activity: 378
Merit: 197

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 03:25:36 PM
Merited by ABCbits (3)

What he mined was not bitcoins, but altcoins.

You can do the same now, if you install some of the first versions of bitcoin. The client would mine coins, but since old clients are not compatible with the current blockchain, the coins would be worthless. You would be making your own blockchain, which would practically be your own altcoin.

The same happens if you mine without connection to internet. You might succeed in mining "coins", but the blockchain could not know it, and wouldn't accept your coins in a later time...

So, no way to reclaim coins, because there are no coins.

My Address: 121f7zb2U4g9iM4MiJTDhEzqeZGHzq5wLh
imjustagirl (OP)

Activity: 118
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 01:31:38 PM

aplistir, thank you for the explanation, it was helpful  Smiley told my friend he should have trashed the firewall and started mining instead of abandoning it long ago. Oh well.

1JPnqMd1Q43L3KbZ7SoTSdRCD2aLj2sikF Tip Me!
ncsupanda
Legendary

Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 11:42:48 PM

When you say a genesis transaction do you actually mean the first block on the network? That would obviously point to an altcoin, but based on when your "friend" became interested in Bitcoin he may have simply found a block.
When it comes to old wallets it never hurts to take a look and see - maybe your friend had some coins saved up that he forgot about.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: