Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 12:56:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining rig scam?  (Read 531 times)
Tobias (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 01:51:37 AM

I am new to bitcoin mining hence the newbie forum, but I was just wondering if a company like butterfly labs could make a 600 gh/s piece of equipment for under 5000$ why wouldn't they just mine with it themselves and make countless times more money than they would by selling them? It seems really fishy to me.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 02:26:12 AM

For the rather obvious reason that mining isn't a sure way to make money (bitcoin price may crash, difficulty could increase dramatically, other unforeseen events may happen), while selling miners is a sure thing. In a gold rush, it's not the miners who get rich, but the guys selling shovels.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Tobias (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 05:52:14 AM

For the rather obvious reason that mining isn't a sure way to make money (bitcoin price may crash, difficulty could increase dramatically, other unforeseen events may happen), while selling miners is a sure thing. In a gold rush, it's not the miners who get rich, but the guys selling shovels.

That's what I always say, and I am trying to think of a new "shovel" to sell, but the amount of money they would make is ridiculous and they could have earned back their investment tenfold by now
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: