Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:57:54 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Small Town Mayor in Michigan Starts Accepting Bitcoin  (Read 2560 times)
jbob06 (OP)

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 02:41:13 AM

Mayoral candidate in a town of about 10,000 is looking to BTC to provide a simple and effortless way to accept donations from any supports, or even just simple Bitcoin advocates. Please check out the page and let us know what you think.

http://www.barnettformayor.com/bitcoins

Disclosure: I approached the candidate and asked that they start accepting Bitcoin. Credit to Mark Warden in New Hampshire for being the pioneer on this front.
TheWaler

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 11:11:55 AM

Having pro-bitcoin politicians is EXTREMELY important if we don't want to see it banned or regulated in some way.
That's great new and a welcomed start.
faiza1990

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

★☆★777Coin★☆★

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 11:56:27 AM

Having pro-bitcoin politicians is EXTREMELY important if we don't want to see it banned or regulated in some way.
That's great new and a welcomed start.

if politicians using any thing I believe its not going only in good way its also in bad way

joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2013, 12:51:29 PM

Good ole cadillac michigan.

Note how they say if you donate over $100 worth if btc that you have to send in the name of your employer and such.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
logicbomb666

Activity: 260

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2013, 12:55:16 PM

Note how they say if you donate over $100 worth if btc that you have to send in the name of your employer and such.

that makes me wonder if politicians are allowed to accept donations from outside the US?

I think snare rolls should be used as a currency.
jbob06 (OP)

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 06:50:24 PM

that makes me wonder if politicians are allowed to accept donations from outside the US?

all donations must come from a US citizen
BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 06:52:13 PM

Because it is conforming to current fiat law essentially. Same for "Only US Citizens".

I love that he's accepting BTC, but I wish his web page had some information (issues...). It is lacking.

BTC Long.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2013, 06:55:29 PM

The Libertarian and Pirate Parties in Canada accept Bitcoin. An no, you are not allowed to make significant contributions without identifying yourself. I believe you have to be a Canadian citizen as well. Any excess contributions we can not account for are essentially a donation to the Government.

Edit: It would be interesting if we could convince the Receiver General to post a public Bitcoin address.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 08:28:42 PM

The Libertarian and Pirate Parties in Canada accept Bitcoin. An no, you are not allowed to make significant contributions without identifying yourself. I believe you have to be a Canadian citizen as well. Any excess contributions we can not account for are essentially a donation to the Government.

Edit: It would be interesting if we could convince the Receiver General to post a public Bitcoin address.
That's what I'd like - some stats.

BTC Long.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 05:32:35 PM

He is the current mayor, seeking re-election,this is interesting.
Especially with this:
http://paymentweek.com/us-federal-election-commission-to-weigh-legality-of-bitcoin-donations/

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:24:26 PM

Mayoral candidate in a town of about 10,000 is looking to BTC to provide a simple and effortless way to accept donations from any supports, or even just simple Bitcoin advocates. Please check out the page and let us know what you think.

http://www.barnettformayor.com/bitcoins

Disclosure: I approached the candidate and asked that they start accepting Bitcoin. Credit to Mark Warden in New Hampshire for being the pioneer on this front.

Interesting that this guy -- incumbent no less, right? -- didn't wait, like most I think are, for regulatory guidance. Interesting indeed.
faiza1990

Activity: 420

★☆★777Coin★☆★

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 11:02:07 AM

all donations must come from a US citizen

mean all transactions will check by NSA from where these are coming

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 11:27:53 AM

He is the current mayor, seeking re-election,this is interesting.
Especially with this:
http://paymentweek.com/us-federal-election-commission-to-weigh-legality-of-bitcoin-donations/
I really don't know why that's even worth asking. You can donate cow manure (sterilized, of course!) to a campaign, so long as FMV can be established. What most people end up doing to get around the reporting requirements is to mail cash or gift cards (with either no return address, or multiple unique return addresses) to keep under the reporting limit on any one transaction. It's kind of stupid.

Of course, with BTC, it's especially easy to simply spam 100 ~.5BTC transactions from anonymous, though you may wish to take care that the coins can't all be traced back to the same inputs.

Asked this guy for an interview when thread was created. No response, yet. Can't even get a small-time mayor in my home state to respond. Sad
EndTheFed321

Activity: 577
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 06:23:04 PM

we can donate under $100 with no need for us to give out our details  Wink

So how many are willing to donate $75 or $90 using BTC

Earn Free BTC by using your browser check it  out
https://get.cryptobrowser.site/11117080
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 08:28:07 PM

If one of his main opponents desires, they could turn this into a federal test case for the Supreme Court.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: