Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:46:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian Nuclear Scientists used a supercomputer to mine Bitcoin  (Read 142 times)
Payapa (OP)

Activity: 138
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 12:53:09 PM

Well, someone got a little tempted with their facilities to mine. Grin Imagine using government-used supercomputers mining bitcoins, you would make a whole bitcoin I guess in a matter of minutes! It's cool, but, you'll get in trouble for it. The guys were immediately arrested though, so they didn't get the crypto they wanted.

Full story is in here:

https://www.kitguru.net/channel/generaltech/matthew-wilson/russian-nuclear-scientists-arrested-after-trying-to-use-a-supercomputer-for-crypto-mining/

⚪ Byteball     ❱❱❱     I T   J U S T   W O R K S .    ❱❱❱
Sending Crypto to Email  -  Risk-Free Conditional Smart Payments  -  ICO Platform with KYC
ANN THREAD          TELEGRAM          TWITTER          MEDIUM          SLACK          REDDIT
hoangloc19901

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 01:10:56 PM

haha.Take advantage of the super computer to dig a bitcoin. A bold idea.
Clos Belmont ICO

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2018, 01:35:39 PM

They are risky guys Wink
Pan Troglodytes

Activity: 392
Merit: 39

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 01:50:29 PM

Seems they forgot how it was in Soviet Union... In Soviet Union they would have been very lucky if this were considered sabotage and they would have been sent to Syberia for 25 years, and after that term has expired it would be renewed for another 25 years. If this were considered treason they would have been disposed of.

They are lucky those times are over, although undoubtly the punishment for exposing a server with nuclear-related info in Internet would be severe in Russia nowadays.
silent17

Activity: 420
Merit: 119

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 01:53:28 PM

On my opinion, those people are really greedy because I know for a fact that working as a scientist especially for a secret facility of the government pays you a lot of money already, but these scientists are really greedy because they wanted to earn more money. That is why greediness is not the best option in this matter, If I were them and earning a lot of dollars, I will just buy my own mining system to mine bitcoin instead of using the supercomputer to avoid being arrested, well I think they just deserved it. Greediness kills.
Thecryptocurrency09

Activity: 346
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 01:57:09 PM

Well, someone got a little tempted with their facilities to mine. Grin Imagine using government-used supercomputers mining bitcoins, you would make a whole bitcoin I guess in a matter of minutes! It's cool, but, you'll get in trouble for it. The guys were immediately arrested though, so they didn't get the crypto they wanted.

Full story is in here:

https://www.kitguru.net/channel/generaltech/matthew-wilson/russian-nuclear-scientists-arrested-after-trying-to-use-a-supercomputer-for-crypto-mining/

This thread got me with the supercomputer thing. Not because of the amazement of this sound like superb technology but because I am familiar what they are into. ThIs advancement could show a desperate measure for us who are doing the usual stuff yet it is a wise act in mining bitcoin. Superb!
RafaelaFernandes

Activity: 15

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 02:03:59 PM

Full story is in here:

I just wander, would they be able to turn profits, if they managed to run it for a few weeks?
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2018, 03:42:54 PM

How would that even work? I can't imagine that a supercomputer could just start mining Bitcoin out of the box, or could it?
I would think that they'd have to at least customize it a little bit ot be able to get it mining Bitcoin. Perhaps not because it's running Linux?

I'd like to know what their results would have been if they didn't get caught so quickly.

Pan Troglodytes

Activity: 392
Merit: 39

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 03:50:24 PM

How would that even work? I can't imagine that a supercomputer could just start mining Bitcoin out of the box, or could it?
I would think that they'd have to at least customize it a little bit ot be able to get it mining Bitcoin. Perhaps not because it's running Linux?

I'd like to know what their results would have been if they didn't get caught so quickly.
You know, they are nuclear scientist, probably the best brains of Russia and Russia is known to have some greatest mathematicians. They must have figured a way to use their supercomputer effectively.

It is only a pity that with such brilliant minds they were unable to foresee the consequences of their actions...
tyuner4

Activity: 322
Merit: 179

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 03:51:06 PM

Using Super computer to mine bitcoin is a brilliant idea but not to the extend of stealing the electricity to mine bitcoin. Wrong move.
Crypto Jaga

Activity: 75
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 04:02:25 PM

haha.Take advantage of the super computer to dig a bitcoin. A bold idea.

but thats really bad idea. You should never use public property for personal use, and here it is even more dangerous given this is a very sensitive place.
buternasek

Activity: 336
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 04:05:51 PM

they use state-of-the-art facilities to mine bitcoins.
they are doing it all for profit, for themselves, have not the scientists earned a big salary from the government, why they are still abusing state facilities to earn more money. that is the human always feel less
audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 08:33:37 AM

Full story is in here:

While what they did is largely wrong because of the threats that their actions pose to national threat and its properties because of connectivity to the internet, its still something that is worth to be harnessed in that in every facilities, major breakthrough, mines created, dams built, nuclear stations established, solar installations, alternative power supplies discovered, major oil rigs established, there is always a room for the mining of bitcoin and also cast a doubt on every assumptions and conclusions of people who have been carrying rumors that bitcoin mining is not sustainable because of the high amount of electricity that it needs but this has shown the way that even in our existing facilities bitcoin can be mined and run successfully just some tweaking needed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: