Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:50:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Expected Core v0.16 Segwit/non-Segwit wallet handling  (Read 174 times)
Oreyva (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 2
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 04:17:21 PM
Merited by LoyceV (1)

Trying to prepare and plan for Core v0.16:

Will wallets (including GUI wallet access) permit mixing different address types, or will the wallet itself have a "type"?

We count 3 address types for pay to (some sort of) key hash:  Non-Segwit "1" addresses, Segwit "3" addresses, Segwit Bech32.  It would be an easier transition to keep all in one wallet.  We try to avoid sweeping (unnecessary fees, coin merge, blockchain bloat).

Thanks in advance for any tips on how the new Core will handle this, and the best strategy to use it.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:01:55 PM

Trying to prepare and plan for Core v0.16:

Will wallets (including GUI wallet access) permit mixing different address types, or will the wallet itself have a "type"?

We count 3 address types for pay to (some sort of) key hash:  Non-Segwit "1" addresses, Segwit "3" addresses, Segwit Bech32.  It would be an easier transition to keep all in one wallet.  We try to avoid sweeping (unnecessary fees, coin merge, blockchain bloat).

Thanks in advance for any tips on how the new Core will handle this, and the best strategy to use it.

I think I or someone else asked something similar, and the answer I remember is that from now on the default address creation will be the addresses that begin with "3", and also there will be no multi-wallet support, it will be the same wallet. So you will see in the list of recieving addresses, legacy addresses, nested addresses and bech32 addresses all mixed, which I find annoying because of X reasons, including the one you mentioned (I don't want to mix my legacy addresses with segwit addresses). I thought they were going to give us multi wallet support to be able to have a segwit wallet and a legacy wallet and keep things separated. So if you want to keep everything within the same wallet it must be good news for you. I will need to keep 2 wallets, keep the old one and then make a new wallet.dat for segwit.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16547

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2018, 06:19:16 PM

Oreyva's question got me curious, so I started looking for release notes:
Bitcoin Core 0.16.0 introduces full support for segwit in the wallet and user interfaces. A new -addresstype argument has been added, which supports legacy, p2sh-segwit (default), and bech32 addresses.

~ and also there will be no multi-wallet support
Multi wallet support was introduced in 0.15, although I haven't tested it. Are you saying they remove that again in 0.16?

So you will see in the list of recieving addresses, legacy addresses, nested addresses and bech32 addresses all mixed, which I find annoying because of X reasons, including the one you mentioned (I don't want to mix my legacy addresses with segwit addresses).
This doesn't bother me, as I always use coin control to choose which input I use anyway. I'd love to have all possible address types in the same wallet. Currently I can only use Electrum for Bech32-addresses, and it needs a separate wallet for this.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2018, 10:59:52 PM

You can have all 3 different address types in each wallet.

Multi wallet support was introduced in 0.15, although I haven't tested it. Are you saying they remove that again in 0.16?
Multiwallet is still in 0.16. It is still just an RPC only thing, no GUI support yet.

cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 01:18:04 PM

This doesn't bother me, as I always use coin control to choose which input I use anyway. I'd love to have all possible address types in the same wallet. Currently I can only use Electrum for Bech32-addresses, and it needs a separate wallet for this.

I always sue coin control myself. The main reason I use Bitcoin Core is because of that. Other wallets suck at dealing with inputs/outputs or not even give you the option to manage them which is ridiculous. But still, compartmentalized address types within wallets would be ideal imo.

Multiwallet is still in 0.16. It is still just an RPC only thing, no GUI support yet.

How far are we from multiwallet GUI support?
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16547

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2018, 02:26:25 PM

But still, compartmentalized address types within wallets would be ideal imo.
If you sort them on "Received with address", you'll get pretty close to that.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2018, 06:59:22 PM

We're pretty close. It will likely be in the next major release (0.17) but there is no guarantee. Basically it's just whenever this PR: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11383 gets merged.

Oreyva (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 2
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 07:25:42 PM

You can have all 3 different address types in each wallet.

Thank you.

But still, compartmentalized address types within wallets would be ideal imo.
If you sort them on "Received with address", you'll get pretty close to that.

We think there is too much risk of mistakes.  A proper compartmentation needs no easy way to err.  Everybody makes a dumb mistake sometimes, especially when tired/stressed/whatever.

It is the same reason even an excellent driver cannot always drive at extreme speeds, without accident.

To be clear, we absolutely support mixing address types in the wallet.  We just don't see it as any security or coin compartmentation feature.  It's irrelevant.  Coins which must be separate, must be in separate wallets.

We're pretty close. It will likely be in the next major release (0.17) but there is no guarantee. Basically it's just whenever this PR: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11383 gets merged.

Segwit GUI support in v0.16 will be awesome.  Don't tell us we need to wait for more awe!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: