Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:32:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How long before decentralized exchanges become maintream?
1-2 years - 6 (37.5%)
3-4 years - 3 (18.8%)
5-6 years - 1 (6.3%)
6+ years - 1 (6.3%)
Never - 5 (31.3%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How long before Decentralized Exchanges become mainstream?  (Read 231 times)
oaktree

Activity: 23
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 05:29:15 PM

Is there a list of decentralised exchanges?

People always seem to talk about decentralisation without giving examples of decentralised exchanges that they have actually used and found to be good.

Can anyone suggest a good decentralised exchange that they can recommend?
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
oo666oo

Activity: 68
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 05:29:29 PM

It is obvious that  Decentralized Exchanges are the future, but the Centralized Exchanges have an incredible inertia and people still stick with them. It will probably happen after one of the next big catastrophes of hacked exchanges or exit scams.

★ PRiVCY ➢ Own Your Privacy! ➢ Best privacy crypto-market! ★
✈✈✈[PoW/PoS]✅[Tor]✅[Airdrop]✈✈✈ (https://privcy.io/)
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 05:32:47 PM
Merited by SonoCoin (1)

Decentralised exchanges will rise at the same time as centralised exchanges run by competent and regulated operators. It's getting there on both fronts but not quite yet.

For better or worse most will flock to the places that hold their hands. At the same time they'll drive out the people who are either dodgy or simply wish to remain close to crypto's original intentions.

In that case they'll be widely used but never fully mainstream. I think they'll be the decentralised Linux to the centralised Windows.
SonoCoin (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 6

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2018, 05:36:41 PM

Decentralised exchanges will rise at the same time as centralised exchanges run by competent and regulated operators. It's getting there on both fronts but not quite yet.

For better or worse most will flock to the places that hold their hands. At the same time they'll drive out the people who are either dodgy or simply wish to remain close to crypto's original intentions.

In that case they'll be widely used but never fully mainstream. I think they'll be the decentralised Linux to the centralised Windows.

I like your analogy of Linux and Windows and the current state of exchanges. I must admit - I hope DEX's continue to innovate by finding ways to compete with large exchanges. It would be beneficial to the growth and well being of cryptocurrencies.
oaktree

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 05:39:35 PM

The problem with that analogy is that Linux is widely used in the business sector. The whole of Google's search engine, processing billions of searches per minute, is done on a Linux based platform. IIRC they chose Linux at teh start because it reduced the licence fees they had to pay. Lots of govt orgs use Linux for teh same reason. It's only retail users that are predominatly Windows.
SonoCoin (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 6

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2018, 05:49:30 PM

The problem with that analogy is that Linux is widely used in the business sector. The whole of Google's search engine, processing billions of searches per minute, is done on a Linux based platform. IIRC they chose Linux at teh start because it reduced the licence fees they had to pay. Lots of govt orgs use Linux for teh same reason. It's only retail users that are predominatly Windows.

Well then in that case DEX's could be adopted for the same reason. People would want to move away from the uncertainty of regulation and security flaws.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 05:57:22 PM

Well yes, I'm talking regular people rather than business.

If decentralised exchanges were fully automated and 100% bulletproof, then there's no reason for businesses to go anywhere centralised. I've no idea whether they will be. I was referring purely to retail.

If we ever get a full on IoT economy going there'll be trillions of transactions per day. I'd assume going through a third party for that would be incredibly cumbersome.

Well then in that case DEX's could be adopted for the same reason. People would want to move away from the uncertainty of regulation and security flaws.

People want customer service, even when it's terrible. And traders will always want order books. There's a big place for both.

oaktree

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 06:06:17 PM

Well yes, I'm talking regular people rather than business.

If decentralised exchanges were fully automated and 100% bulletproof, then there's no reason for businesses to go anywhere centralised. I've no idea whether they will be. I was referring purely to retail.

If we ever get a full on IoT economy going there'll be trillions of transactions per day. I'd assume going through a third party for that would be incredibly cumbersome.

Businesses like Overstock have added altcoin payments using Shapeshift. And Shapeshift is essentially decentralised. So, just as with Linux, I'd say the merchant space will go decentralised before ordinary users do.

AymDoo

Activity: 210
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 03:58:10 PM

Decentralized exchanges are already in the market and people are using it to a varying extent. They whole idea fits perfectly with crypto world as decentralization is the mainstream feature. There are some issues need to be worked on before they can get popular. People love to have customer service to solve their problem which can be a challenge here. Another issue is that the governments' regulatory problems as government want to have control over the money movement which is also a problem here.
BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 04:13:54 PM

i voted for "1-2 years" because i really feel that the market needs decentralized exchanges a lot more these days with the growth that bitcoin had and the way it also grew the altcoin market with itself.

and also i say it won't take long because i do believe that the second layer solutions such as lightning network and cross chain transactions such as atomic swap are going to change the game and speed things up a lot.

There is a FOMO brewing...
vladimirnesgibaev1

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 06:37:55 PM

Thinking more of the official Bitcoin should not be because it is quite inconvenient.
Lampaster

Activity: 406
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 06:49:05 PM

Decentralized exchanges was initially created to make it difficult for the authorities to take it down and more difficult for

hackers to hack it. The problem is most of these exchanges will always struggle to establish trust and also to handle fiat.

The governments will also hunt down the operators of these exchanges, because they do not adhere to KYC/AML regulations

like other exchanges. Decentralized exchanges will experience a boom in the coming years as Bitcoin users increasingly seek

a trustless peer-to-peer alternative.  Wink
Tell me how much you know of exchanges that support the Fiat and is not working according to the rules governments? There are no such exchanges. For this reason, all users who want to use a Bank card for input and output are required to provide their documents. Are you sure that the exchange does not forward this information to the governments?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: