Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:47:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: lol...it just never ends  (Read 235 times)
jojo69 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:21:27 PM

well guys, BOTH my installs have broken down at the same time, in different ways, and I'm at a bit of a loss

Let's start with the one on my main box so as to not muddy the waters.  This one was working fine till about 2 days ago.  Win7/64, Armory0.96.3, was syncing to an ABC node to extract BCH, its wallets are empty of BTC and BCH, I was content to leave it running on ABC for now and wait for the BTG signer to come along.

It has taken to hanging on the very first splash, full green bar at the top "Loading:100%" blue windows swirly if you mouse over it.  If you click on it "ArmoryQT.exe is not responding"

It does not seem to ever spawn the DB, checking in task manager.

clean log https://pastebin.com/dzW6Y2Qr

thanks

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
droark

Activity: 525
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2018, 07:29:09 PM

Is ArmoryDB running in the task manager already? If so, kill it and try again.

(Also, just to clarify, I assume you're not trying to run both instances of Armory on the same machine, or at least at the same time.)
jojo69 (OP)
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:45:05 PM

It does not seem to ever spawn the DB, checking in task manager.

no no no, other box is other box

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
PhoenixFire

Activity: 270
Merit: 36

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 08:04:43 PM

Code:
2018-02-12 11:16:21 (WARNING) -- SDM.pyc:398 - Spawning DB with command: ./ArmoryDB.exe --db-type="DB_FULL" --cookie --satoshi-datadir="E:\BCashChain\blocks" --datadir="D:\armory" --dbdir="D:\armory\databases"
This looks like the bug with RC2, but you are using RC3, which is weird.
Using a shortcut to launch, right? Change the "Start In" field to "D:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\"
See if that does anything.

Alternatively, launch ArmoryDB yourself with all the params above.
jojo69 (OP)
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 08:10:56 PM
Last edit: February 12, 2018, 08:27:40 PM by jojo69

Using a shortcut to launch, right? Change the "Start In" field to "D:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\"
See if that does anything.

Yes, already was, save for the last \, adding that did not change the behavior.

cmd window syntax;

ArmoryQT.exe  --satoshi-datadir="E:\BCashChain\blocks" --datadir="D:\armory" --dbdir="D:\armory\databases"

same behavior

ArmoryDB.exe  --satoshi-datadir="E:\BCashChain\blocks" --datadir="D:\armory" --dbdir="D:\armory\databases"

'ArmoryDB.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Thanks for your patience with my relative illiteracy guys, I feel like I have the opportunity to really learn something here.

goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 08:37:42 PM

1) Use RC3

2) Use config files

3) You can't mix and match chains and DBs. Use a dedicated folder for each

4) What BCH node are you using? Armory is not compatible anymore with that stuff since they changed the address format and magic number.

jojo69 (OP)
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 08:55:32 PM

1) Use RC3

am

2) Use config files

OK goatpig, I will figure out the config file syntax and location, I promise, and wean myself off of shortcut args, but it was working fine until the other day and I want to understand

3) You can't mix and match chains and DBs. Use a dedicated folder for each

I believe I understand and am adhering to this, the BTC chain is in its own folder on an entirely different drive and I nuked my BTC Armory DB in the process of getting the BCH setup working so I only have one.

4) What BCH node are you using? Armory is not compatible anymore with that stuff since they changed the address format and magic number.

ABC, and again, it was working until 2 days ago and I did not change anything

droark

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2018, 09:05:54 PM

Which version of ABC are you using? I seem to recall something about 0.16.1 working but 0.16.2 not working. There could be other timebombs in the code, changes to the network, etc. Have there been any recent changes in the Bcash network that you're aware of?

As for asking about ArmoryDB, I asked because a previously running instance of ArmoryDB would prevent spawning. If you've checked the task manager and ArmoryDB just never runs, then yeah, that's a problem of some sort. I just wanted to confirm.
jojo69 (OP)
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 09:23:39 PM

Which version of ABC are you using? I seem to recall something about 0.16.1 working but 0.16.2 not working. There could be other timebombs in the code, changes to the network, etc. Have there been any recent changes in the Bcash network that you're aware of?

0.16.1, this was, in fact, the golden spike that got my BCH setup finally working in the other thread.  No timebombs that I know of, but I don't really follow Vercoin developments so it is possible.  Still, wouldn't the DB spawn but then ack?

As for asking about ArmoryDB, I asked because a previously running instance of ArmoryDB would prevent spawning. If you've checked the task manager and ArmoryDB just never runs, then yeah, that's a problem of some sort. I just wanted to confirm.

Yeah, I understand about killing DB, that was the first thing I checked.

goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 09:25:34 PM

Win7/64, Armory0.96.3

That got me confused.

OK goatpig, I will figure out the config file syntax and location, I promise, and wean myself off of shortcut args, but it was working fine until the other day and I want to understand

I understand your point but this is something you can investigate later, once you have a functional system. For now, since you are requesting assistance, you need to follow the instructions you are given, which allows for controlling the environment.

ArmoryDB.exe  --satoshi-datadir="E:\BCashChain\blocks" --datadir="D:\armory" --dbdir="D:\armory\databases"

'ArmoryDB.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

You have to cd to the folder containing ArmoryDB.exe to run it from the command line (or type in the full binary path). At any rate, delete dbLog.txt, setup your armorydb.conf and go run the DB from the command line.

jojo69 (OP)
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 10:13:18 PM

I understand your point but this is something you can investigate later, once you have a functional system. For now, since you are requesting assistance, you need to follow the instructions you are given, which allows for controlling the environment.

fair enough

but first

You have to cd to the folder containing ArmoryDB.exe to run it from the command line (or type in the full binary path). At any rate, delete dbLog.txt, setup your armorydb.conf and go run the DB from the command line.

Upon closer inspection, I am not seeing ArmoryDB.exe anywhere...starting to wonder if I have an impending drive issue

droark

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2018, 10:20:22 PM

Upon closer inspection, I am not seeing ArmoryDB.exe anywhere...starting to wonder if I have an impending drive issue

You mean ArmoryDB can't be found where Armory is installed? (I assume it's in that location. I've never installed Armory on my Windows VM.) If so, then yeah, that's weird. Are you having other issues with your system? I ask because I just had a drive fail on me on my NAS, along with one of the slots dying. :/ Was able to recover the data on the dying drive and swap in a fresh drive - haven't tried swapping out on the drive from the dead bay - but drives can go bad quickly if you're not on top of things.
jojo69 (OP)
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 10:46:32 PM

yeah, definitely on alert for hardware issues now, comparing the \Armory folder with the other box it looks like I am missing 4 files, and they are not in the bin so not a fat finger or cat on kbd thing...

I think I will do a reinstall and keep an eye on things.

droark

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2018, 10:49:57 PM

If you can, also do a SMART scan or whatever. Not sure what does it on Windows but I'm sure there are a million programs that can check the health of your hard drive. If it's failing, grab a new one (or an SSD if you can afford it), back up what you can, and swap the drives out.
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 11:36:34 PM

Do you use an antivirus? If so, check the quarantine container.

jojo69 (OP)
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 01:17:58 AM

If you can, also do a SMART scan or whatever. Not sure what does it on Windows but I'm sure there are a million programs that can check the health of your hard drive. If it's failing, grab a new one (or an SSD if you can afford it), back up what you can, and swap the drives out.

Yeah, I actually have a NVMe setup ready to go in this one as the boot drive which will bump its current SSD boot drive down the totem pole

Do you use an antivirus? If so, check the quarantine container.

I just run MBAM every so often, have my browser locked down pretty hard, and don't click on random shit...so the mystery on that remains

So, everything is running fine with the reinstall, it picked up its old DB seamlessly, which was nice, let's get me up to speed on the config file stuff.

I am assuming it/they go in the \Armory folder with the executables.  Goatpig mentioned armorydb.conf, is there also an armory.conf?

Is the syntax the same as the shortcut args?

PhoenixFire

Activity: 270
Merit: 36

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 03:28:43 AM

I am assuming it/they go in the \Armory folder with the executables.  Goatpig mentioned armorydb.conf, is there also an armory.conf?

Is the syntax the same as the shortcut args?
Armory data directory usually (C:\Users\stg\AppData\Roaming\Armory\). armoryqt.conf is the main one and you probably won't need the armorydb.conf if you're launching the db from Armory's GUI.
Same syntax, but no leading dashes: satoshi-datadir= not --satoshi-datadir=
jojo69 (OP)
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 03:57:16 AM

ok

my armory data directory is custom, D:\armory

just help me understand, if I throw the config file in there, and then launch Armory with an unmodified shortcut...how would it even know where to look?

Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 05:18:30 AM

ok

my armory data directory is custom, D:\armory

just help me understand, if I throw the config file in there, and then launch Armory with an unmodified shortcut...how would it even know where to look?

The config file is placed in the default Armory folder. When Armory starts, it reads the config file and uses any custom directories you've included there. This is also how Bitcoin Core works.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
jojo69 (OP)
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 06:05:41 AM
Last edit: February 13, 2018, 06:20:45 AM by jojo69

ahhhhhh, ok, to the C drive I go, thanks Holliday

hmmm
ArmoryQt.exe: error: no such option: --addnode
ArmoryQt.exe: error: no such option: --listen

guess I should try one thing at a time...lol

took those lines out and it worked

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: