Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:38:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is bitcoin backed by?  (Read 1893 times)
mrtryonebiggums

Activity: 322
Merit: 111

Revolutionized Rotating Savings & Borrowings

View Profile
April 28, 2018, 03:36:51 PM

If you mean backed in the sense you could redeem Bitcoin for something else at any given moment then no it is not backed by anything.

If however you meant backing in regards to the faith people have in the currency, then look no further than the 9k price line today for Bitcoin. That is enough proof that enough people believe in it and back it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nara1892

Activity: 1568
Merit: 654

View Profile
April 28, 2018, 03:56:48 PM

Yes, you're right. It's like the question 'why the gold so worth?' because the people appreciate to gold, as well with the bitcoin.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
spartak-sbk

Activity: 308
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 28, 2018, 04:58:32 PM

In fact, it seems to me that bitcoin is supported by people, by the energy of confident people, by the time of many people and by the fact of decentralization.
BaraxLo

Activity: 910
Merit: 512

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 11:38:32 AM

In fact, it seems to me that bitcoin is supported by people, by the energy of confident people, by the time of many people and by the fact of decentralization.
Bitcoin has backed by people and people have backed by Bitcoin. It is the only single currency which is for the care and benefit of people. Similarly Bitcoin is also applicable for governments if they do so and use the Bitcoin in order to build their economies for future values and solve all the problems of countries. Due to this positive achievement Bitcoin is backed by many CEO’s of companies and world trading centers and many more.
nambunamba

Activity: 378
Merit: 10

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 11:42:52 AM

People believe bitcoin is backed by nothing. I think that is not the truth. I believe bitcoin is actually backed by people themselves. It is backed by none other than just you. We all witnessed the price has been fluctuating by all those FUDs and bad news. The price changes by emotion and non logical facts. I believe you hold bitcoin no matter what happened and would happen, and believe it is backed by all of us, it would make a history.  Cool
I believe Bitcoin is backed by USD. People are buying bitcoin using usd and by the time the number of people that believe bitcoin could be use in future increasing the price is just rapidly increasing too. Many people are think that investing in bitcoin is dumb cause its dangerous and its bubble. I think they just afraid of change and they dont open their mind for something new. I do believe somehow blockchain technology will be use in many aspect of our live so thats why i believe bitcoin and other cryptocurrency could have a future.

﹏﹏﹋﹌﹌ WPP ENERGY ﹌﹌﹋﹏﹏
☆═══━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═══☆
≈ WORLD POWER PRODUCTION ≈

【 BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN 】
☆═━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═☆
really01

Activity: 150
Merit: 4

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 12:21:06 PM

bitcoin is supported by people who like bitcoin, if bitcoin does not support it maybe bitcoin will die and not worth it, investor support, shareholder is so necessary that bitcoin will not die forever
Agreed that the value of btc was built by the community. And as the community grows, using it for good causes btc will really become a powerful economic tool.
Geleve

Activity: 588
Merit: 104

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 12:30:50 PM

The best feature of Bitcoin is it is totally decentralized. There is no one or no group backup Bitcoin. All the community supports and it grows.
kangbasir

Activity: 394
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 05:13:25 PM

The cryptocurrency bitcoin exchange form that is supported by blockchain and Bitcoin is not centered means that no person or organization has or controls Bitcoin. Everyone can see every transaction that has been done on the Bitcoin network.
omonuyak

Activity: 882
Merit: 269

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 05:29:00 PM

The greatest need of humanity is trust our society have had a very hard time to create trust on a ssystem by bring third party into human transactions and that makes batter system more help to humanity than the current system we have. Bitcoin been a decentralized and p2p system is back-up by our trust. We all believe on this systems and that is the trust we need.
timerland

Activity: 1526
Merit: 596

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 07:22:47 AM

Lots of people make the argument that bitcoin isn't backed by anything, therefore it's worthless. That is simply not true. Assuming if that is true, then it would essentially mean that gold should be worthless, as gold itself doesn't have a lot of industrial usages, definitely not enough for it to be this valuable, and therefore, should be worthless. Simply not true, completely false.

Bitcoin isn't representative money. It doesn't represent a promise to pay a certain amount of commodities. Only representative currency is backed by something.

That doesn't mean that BTC is not intrinsically valuable. It is, being the first crypto with the most amount of adopters. And the fact that it is decentralized mean that people know it's going to hold its value in the long run, and the fact that it is the most trusted cryptocurrency with the properties that it has in scarcity, trustlessness, and decentralization, are what makes it valuable instrinsically.

Smiley
squog

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

ANONYMOUS MOBILE PAYMENTS

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 07:26:01 AM

It is still backed by fiat money actualy. It's price is greatly determined by the supply in the market among other things. People out value in it. If one sells it at a higher price, then everyone will do the same and vice versa. It really depends on how much people are willin to pay to have it.

Abiky
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1359

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 06:01:13 PM

Lots of people make the argument that bitcoin isn't backed by anything, therefore it's worthless. That is simply not true. Assuming if that is true, then it would essentially mean that gold should be worthless, as gold itself doesn't have a lot of industrial usages, definitely not enough for it to be this valuable, and therefore, should be worthless. Simply not true, completely false.

Bitcoin isn't representative money. It doesn't represent a promise to pay a certain amount of commodities. Only representative currency is backed by something.

That doesn't mean that BTC is not intrinsically valuable. It is, being the first crypto with the most amount of adopters. And the fact that it is decentralized mean that people know it's going to hold its value in the long run, and the fact that it is the most trusted cryptocurrency with the properties that it has in scarcity, trustlessness, and decentralization, are what makes it valuable instrinsically.

Exactly. The fact that Bitcoin is decentralized, and it's the most resilient cryptocurrency available today, means that it will always be a valuable currency/asset for others to enjoy. What really gives Bitcoin its value is not a central bank or institution, but rather the people supporting it. Since Bitcoin has a rare or limited supply of 21 million coins in existence, it's somewhat compared to Gold. On the other hand, Gold is also extremely valuable because it's a rare asset/commodity and people back it. Of course, at any moment, Bitcoin's value could drop to zero when people stop using it. But, I believe that would never be the case as Bitcoin is extremely useful, especially when it's considered as the reserve currency of many altcoins we know and love today.

Therefore, Bitcoin is backed by the blockchain and the people that support it. The verifiable source of truth (which is the public ledger underpinning Bitcoin) prevents fraud, and double spending, allowing the pioneer cryptocurrency to retain its value for years to come. Just my opinion Smiley

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Kambala07

Activity: 31

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 06:08:18 PM

I'm sure Bitcoin is backed by USD. People buy bitcoin using usd and by that time the number of people who believe bitcoin can be used in the future increases the price also increases rapidly. Many people think that investing in bitcoin is stupid because it is dangerous and bubbles. I think they are just afraid of change and they do not open their mind to something new. I believe somehow blockchain technology will be used in many aspects of our lives so that's why I believe bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies could have a future.
Abiky
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1359

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 06:15:03 PM

I'm sure Bitcoin is backed by USD. People buy bitcoin using usd and by that time the number of people who believe bitcoin can be used in the future increases the price also increases rapidly. Many people think that investing in bitcoin is stupid because it is dangerous and bubbles. I think they are just afraid of change and they do not open their mind to something new. I believe somehow blockchain technology will be used in many aspects of our lives so that's why I believe bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies could have a future.

That's certainly true, mate. Bitcoin is backed not only by the USD, but also the EUR, RUB, and CNY. The people who use the cryptocurrency are the ones responsible for giving value to it (in contrast to a central authority like the US Federal Reserve). Because Bitcoin is decentralized, and is mostly a speculative cryptocurrency, it is extremely volatile causing abnormal price changes in a blink of an eye. Individuals who're new to Bitcoin would frustrate themselves the moment they see a massive decline in price.

However, they're unware of the future of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies as primary payment systems in the mainstream world. Given that there's a huge interest in blockchain technology among banks, governments, and even companies worldwide, Bitcoin's value will certainly increase over the long term. Therefore, it all depends on the value the people want to give to Bitcoin as a currency. Just my thoughts Grin

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
speem28

Activity: 546
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 06:25:32 PM

Well for me, I consider bitcoin is backed by the blockchain because if there is no blockchain, then transactions will not go through the intended user or receiver. The idea behind cryptocurrencies would be pointless if the transactions will go through banks or any third party entities like the government where they can track each one of them.
mackenzied

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 06:44:26 PM

The value of bitcoin can be a good example of human trust. Unlike the miracles in films, but here, trust constitutes the great value of bitcoin throughout its development.

PrudnikovLS

Activity: 113

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 07:11:15 PM

Yes it is. Bitcoin is a crypto currency created for the people, therefore people support the bitcoin course, thus being its asset. Bitcoin will exist as long as there is humanity.
kisscoin

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 09:21:03 PM

Yes! Let's make history and deprive that little bunch of people that represents the world domination of the right to it! Cryptocurrencies can change the financial situation of ordinary people with you! You only need to believe!  Wink
magneto

Activity: 1666
Merit: 753

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 09:24:34 PM

What is gold backed by?

It's not something that can be used in industry that much at all. Industrial demand for gold is pretty much nonexistent when you compare it to people using it for investment and storing value. Yet, people perceive gold as value itself sometimes.

If bitcoin or gold were controlled by a central bank, it would not be valuable at all intrinsically. Bitcoin is valuable because it's not manipulated by any central organisation or entity, including a central bank.

The fact that bitcoin is the agreed protocol on which people transact and store value, and that it can't just be depreciated by printing more of it, means that it's valuable. It doesn't need to be backed by anything, just like gold.
merrillolive

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 10:16:28 PM

Yes it is. Bitcoin is a crypto currency created for the people, therefore people support the bitcoin course, thus being its asset. Bitcoin will exist as long as there is humanity.
Supporting BTC may be one of the ways you say that they are now being taught and taught by so many people, so BTC may be born to serve humanity and they will grow stronger in the future. hybrid.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: