Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 11:20:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Got a decent windfall of BTC, what to do?  (Read 697 times)
btcwindfall (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 10:57:27 PM

Since a few weeks ago, I've taken a mild interest in Bitcoins because the way the system works intrigued me. I did some mining w/ a aspare computer of mine and ended up with about 0.01 BTC. I made a few small bets on a Bitcoin gambling website...and ended up winning 20 BTC.

The transfer just confirmed, and I have no idea what to do with the ~$2,800 USD in Bitcoins that are sitting in my wallet.

Should I cash out now at $140/BTC, or should I hold onto them (hoping the price will rise further)? I've read some scary things about a "bitcoin bubble", but I've also seen some people who think that the price will double by the end of the year.

What are your suggestions?
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1304

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 11:05:46 PM

If you don't need it, I'd save it. Many people believe that over time it will continue to increase in value.

However, if you aren't sure you can always sell half and keep half, that way you hedge your bets and come out ahead no matter what happens.

No one knows the future value, so it is all a guess but many think it will either thrive or fail so it will be worth a lot more or zero with little in between. Lots of money and time have been invested by smart people, so every day the likelihood of it going to zero decreases, I believe.

Since a few weeks ago, I've taken a mild interest in Bitcoins because the way the system works intrigued me. I did some mining w/ a aspare computer of mine and ended up with about 0.01 BTC. I made a few small bets on a Bitcoin gambling website...and ended up winning 20 BTC.

The transfer just confirmed, and I have no idea what to do with the ~$2,800 USD in Bitcoins that are sitting in my wallet.

Should I cash out now at $140/BTC, or should I hold onto them (hoping the price will rise further)? I've read some scary things about a "bitcoin bubble", but I've also seen some people who think that the price will double by the end of the year.

Bitcoinera.net

Activity: 26

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2013, 11:10:05 PM

I would say keep them or invest them, dont gamble them away!
0.01 to 20, thats some nice luck Smiley
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 11:12:00 PM

I would also vote for keep them all (as I think there is a good chance of them being worth a lot) or sell half of them (as you will have a nice gain either way).

Please also learn about how to securely store your Bitcoins (e.g. paper wallet or cold wallet) ^^
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 11:13:59 PM

You should probably talk some more about your assets on a forum filled to the brim with criminals looking for easy targets. That always works out well.
BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 11:14:26 PM

If you don't need the money, save them all.

If you enjoy trading or are interested, you could divert a small amount you don't mind losing for fun (or other) with alt coins. I would suggest still holding the majority of it, especially if you have no intentions to increase ownership of BTC in the future.

Whatever you do, don't bet them on dice.

You should probably talk some more about your assets on a forum filled to the brim with criminals looking for easy targets. That always works out well.

Love it.

BTC Long.
Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 11:14:40 PM

Send them to 1GvLi1A7pYgMsAbRDRsbtGxU2zqoaWp4Ks

Seriously, buy and hold. Or do the half and half thing.

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 11:16:44 PM

Come on 'assets' it's only ~3k ...
2048-bit

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 03:51:14 AM

greyhawk said: "You should probably talk some more about your assets on a forum filled to the brim with criminals looking for easy targets. That always works out well."

Just don't post the address with the 20 BTC in it.
seafarer124

Activity: 302

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 05:22:40 AM

Keep half and buy gold or silver with the other half.

MitchMonsta

Activity: 10

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 05:58:52 AM

Turning $1 into $2800 is some pretty ridiculous stuff! I agree with what some people already mentioned. If you have no reason for any liquid money, than just hold onto it and maybe get an app on your iPhone or Android to keep a close watch on the price. If you ever think the price is on a negative slope, just sell while you're on top.
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 06:19:18 AM

Double or nothing!!

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 10:36:52 AM

Come on 'assets' it's only ~3k ...

Well, I'd usually call it dinner, but for some of these people here this seems to be a big windfall.
Gemminyc

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 10:44:56 AM

0.01 to 20 BTC  Shocked  congratulations to the roll !
If you will withdraw the USD, dont use MtGox though
Grandsmall

Activity: 53

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 11:52:28 AM

Double or nothing!!
^^^Do it and be sure to keep us updated how it goes. Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: