Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:40:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold for 0.5BTC Casascius Coin  (Read 1648 times)
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 01:07:58 AM

Anyone who knows anything about the precious metals market knows that gold has recently taken a small dive. Of course it is impossible to predict the future, but I work at a coin store, talk to a  lot of people, and the consensus seems to be that Gold will be $1500/oz by the end of the year.

That being said, I would like to trade a Mexican Dos Pesos coin (an original, not a restrike-so it also has some numismatic value) for a 0.5 Casascius coin. If anyone wants to take me up on this offer, please PM me. If not now, I bet someone will find this post once gold has in-fact gone up and will take me up on the offer.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dozerz
Legendary

Activity: 2214
Merit: 1057

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 10:13:43 AM

That's an obvious fake from an obvious scammer.  It's about as good of a deal as your overpriced shredded money.  Get lost, scammer. 

care to explain why?

space for rent, shilling for sats
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 10:56:05 AM

Anyone who knows anything about the precious metals market knows that gold has recently taken a small dive. Of course it is impossible to predict the future, but I work at a coin store, talk to a  lot of people, and the consensus seems to be that Gold will be $1500/oz by the end of the year.

That being said, I would like to trade a Mexican Dos Pesos coin (an original, not a restrike-so it also has some numismatic value) for a 0.5 Casascius coin. If anyone wants to take me up on this offer, please PM me. If not now, I bet someone will find this post once gold has in-fact gone up and will take me up on the offer.

That's an obvious fake from an obvious scammer.  It's about as good of a deal as your overpriced shredded money.  Get lost, scammer.  
Normally I would be mad, but I am so entertained by your post because it is 100% WRONG. I bought it from the coin shop I work at. You're an idiot. No one needs any misinformed idiots moderating threads out of altruism.

You can have at it with the "you think its fake". Just realize the more you do the more you will make yourself look like a fool.
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 11:08:54 AM

how much Oz of gold is this? and purity?

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 02:48:52 PM

how much Oz of gold is this? and purity?

Google says these are 22k, .0482oz.

As of today, spot would be $64, so I'd consider a fair price to be between $75-80. At $1500/oz, say $85-90.

Also as of today, with BTC-USD being around $125, I'd consider a 0.5oz 2013 brass round to be fairly priced at 0.9-1.0 BTC, or $115-125.

I'd certainly trade a 0.5 BTC Casascius brass round for a Dos Pesos coin + some other silver/gold coin, but I think the current terms of trade are a bit too stacked out of my favour Smiley

That said, watching this thread!

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
BitAddict
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 03:23:07 PM

Anyone who knows anything about the precious metals market knows that gold has recently taken a small dive. Of course it is impossible to predict the future, but I work at a coin store, talk to a  lot of people, and the consensus seems to be that Gold will be $1500/oz by the end of the year.

Roll Eyes

I hope you're kidding.... only current price matters.
I can tell you the same for bitcoin, it could be $500 by the end of the year...
coco23

Activity: 1974
Merit: 856

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 07:51:58 PM

...talk to a  lot of people, and the consensus seems to be that Gold will be $1500/oz by the end of the year.
always interesting to read things like this, we'll probably see prices below $1000 soon...  Roll Eyes
BorderBits

Activity: 275
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 07:57:48 PM

Let's also not forget how johniewalker was running a scam with his "silver" ingots.
nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 09:13:29 PM

Let's also not forget how johniewalker was running a scam with his "silver" ingots.

Link?

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 10:38:58 PM

Ignore this idiot. I sold my first (it was disclosed) ingots that I thought I had completely refined. So, I hand-stamped them with a set I got at Ace Hardware. (No matter the purity, no shop/refinery is going to buy silver anyway unless its from a recognized mint, not a backyard refinery. So, they would have had to melt it down anyway. In return for the purity not being what it was supposed to be-supposedly, the guy never could scan his assay receipt-I gave him way more silver than he paid for in the form of 90% coinage-which he could sell. He argued that it was "purity over quantity" he wanted. But when you're dealing with making backyard ingots-you can see how that argument just doesn't apply. For some reason trolls LOVE to talk about this. I can't even tell you how many trades I've done on this site-I would say over 100-and they have all gone without a hitch.

Why listen to someone who claims this coin is fake when (at least that I could find) there is not even a record of any fake ones ever existing? Not to mention hes just 100% wrong.
So Mods, please delete any further posts "BorderBits" leaves on this thread-thanks.

And like I said, if no one takes me up on this now, I have a feeling they will later. All I mean is this post (offer) is out there. Anyone can take it or leave it whenever they want.
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:52:18 AM

Ignore this idiot. I sold my first (it was disclosed) ingots that I thought I had completely refined. So, I hand-stamped them with a set I got at Ace Hardware. (No matter the purity, no shop/refinery is going to buy silver anyway unless its from a recognized mint, not a backyard refinery. So, they would have had to melt it down anyway. In return for the purity not being what it was supposed to be-supposedly, the guy never could scan his assay receipt-I gave him way more silver than he paid for in the form of 90% coinage-which he could sell. He argued that it was "purity over quantity" he wanted. But when you're dealing with making backyard ingots-you can see how that argument just doesn't apply.

So, not only did you scam the guy, you're also extraordinarily incompetent.  A true captain of industry, folks.  Avoid this scammer and his rank incompetence/stupidity.  
Are you being serious? You are the incompetent one, claiming a coin is fake when its 100% not. Why should anyone believe a word you say if you just throw around FALSE accusations like that? And is it really beyond your mental capacity to understand my post? The guy never produced an assay receipt. The argument of "purity over quantity" does not even hold any water when you are talking about someone making (they were very ugly) ingots in their backyard-no one with half a brain (so everybody except you) would buy a hand-stamped bar NOT from a recognized mint without melting it down and assaying it first. And FINALLY, even if the bars were 90% Pure (Impossible because I melted only sterling and some 999 shot), I sent the guy more silver than he originally thought he was getting-in a form that he COULD sell.

I have a serious feeling you're on a hacked/purchased account. There is a reason you don't see literally stupid trolls with such a high post count.
BorderBits

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:57:35 PM

How is it trolling to point out obvious scams by dumb scammers?  Johnniewalker, you were featured on Buttcoin.org -- the site that makes fun of the dumbest elements of bitcoin. That your stupidity eclipsed all the other stupidity that goes on should tell people to steer clear from your scams.   
BorderBits

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 10:15:10 PM

Let's not forget about the person you scammed, scammer:

- His thread stated "Up for sale are four .99 Silver ingots that I smelted......" weighing .87, .97, 1 and 1.1oz. Only after some questions did it turn out they weren't troy ounces but standard ounces (red flag I should have listened to). What person who spends the time to learn how to smelt silver doesnt know SPOT is ozt?
- I received 4 ingots ranging from .925 to .88 pure. Weight was as described in standard ounces
- The barber was included in case he made a "slight mistake". I wouldnt call bars that range from sterling to worse than coin silver a slight mistake.
- Now I have bars which are mismarked for purity and weight in oz's (vs ozt) as well as very widely swinging silver content.

Either he has no idea what he is doing and lost silver during smelting or he is a scammer.

I think I was being very reasonable. I told him repeatedly we could work this out and it didnt need to go public.

- First he said it was impossible
- then he offered me a pre64 quarter to make up for it,
- then told me to just go sell it to a pawn shop (shop that assayed it said they wouldnt take it at any price, they pay 80% spot normally),
- then he begged me not to go public,
- then plead poverty
- then said if I send him it all back he will melt it all down into a 925 ingot (why would I do that when he has proven he couldnt smelt what he promised previously)
- then said he just got sold fake cubans and to "have mercy"
- then he started getting angry and started spouting nonsense about if I come to his house he will call the police (I can't make any sense of this because nothing about it was mentioned).
- then he says to never message him again or "it is harassment" and he will be happy to share our old messages with the mods.

Keep in mind I messaged him three times in all this; First to tell him the assay results, second in response trying to secure a resolution and third declining his offer to melt me a 925 bar(a one line response). Then he exploded about harassment and me coming to his house(seems upset he got his hand caught in the cookie jar).

He seems like a crazy person to me at this point. Way to ruin your rep over a few bucks kid.

Again, I am happy to discuss a resolution if you are so inclined. Otherwise I will continue to defend my position.

The options I am willing to entertain are;

1. full refund (you come meet me to pick up or pay for shipping)
2. replacement of silver weight I thought I bought in a recognizable format like pre64 coins, mint bars, etc(3.5911ozt as I would keep the barber). Again, I will meet you to switch unless you want to pay shipping

Regards.
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 10:15:04 AM

How much do you make being a professional troll? And FYI "malevolent" is MOD for the Market place forums. You are all pathetic. Why do you take pleasure in making trouble with someone who has not wronged you-or anybody, actually (insert silver thread here). But you don't matter much to me anymore. Self-Moderated. These screenshots are VERY visually pleasant

Officially done
BorderBits

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 01:15:18 AM

Oh look.  The incompetent man-child scammer needs "the man" to protect him.  Dumb fuck.   
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 01:29:34 AM

A final bump before I lock...BorderBits is a troll (as proven above), he states lies, and you should not listen to a word he says.
Also, I stand behind every trade I have made on these forums. Even the often mentioned "silver trade". The fact of the matter is, the buyer ended up with more silver than the original deal was for, because I sent it to him. Also, what BorderBits quoted from that is incorrect. I did not offer a refund, thats true. The guy knew he was buying backyard-poured ingots from a FIRST TIME smelter. It was mentioned several times that purity might be off.

The buyer said nothing for about a month after I sent him the ingots. Then he said he had them assayed and they ranged from 80 something-90 something% purity. First of all, I don't see how thats possible-I melted scrap sterling (925) silver and even added silver shot (.999 pure). When I asked the buyer to scan even just a copy of the receipt he had from when the assay was performed, he refused. He just kept telling me to call a number and that whoever was on the other end of the call would verify it.

As mentioned, the buyer ended up with more silver than the original deal was for. And I sent him silver in the form of Barber Halves, not a '64 quarter, so that part (along with basically the rest) is false.

Finally, when the buyer had more silver than he paid for, he turned it into a "purity vs. quantity" argument (sounds like a desperate attempt w/buyer's remorse). The thing is, that argument holds absolutely zero water in this case. I made these ingots in my YARD. They were not even ingots so much as silver blobs. I stamped .999 purity with a set of metal hand stamps I got at Ace Hardware. Do you think a seller would look at that, believe it to be .999 pure, and buy it? No way. I work at a coin store. The way it would have worked is this (if he wanted to sell them): we would perform an assay (because anyone can stamp a blob of silver with .999) regardless. Based on the purity, we would make him an offer. Then, along with other scrap silver (damaged foreign coins, primarily), we would send it to the refiner.

So to sum it up: If he walked into a shop with the ingots being .999 pure, he would have received less money than if he had taken the ingots to a shop (even at his "supposed purity") along with the other silver I sent him.

There are other lies and half-truths that I could address, but I won't. Honestly thats giving the trolls what they want. I have countless users who I have done business with and who could vouch for me. If I'm offering something for sale that you're interested in and for some reason you don't feel completely comfortable with me, I will have references (who are seasoned bitcointalk members) contact you to share their experiences with me.

Because of people like "BorderBits" who literally just try to destroy someone's reputation such that people are weary of doing business with them, my posts from now on will be self-moderated. I am officially done wasting another second of my life on trolls.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: