Bitcoin Forum
July 25, 2024, 03:07:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Move Wallet to different computer  (Read 929 times)
stuvwxyz99 (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 03:03:05 AM

I have Bitcoin QT installed on a macbook air. Syncing takes forever, and pretty much tops out CPU usage. So I'd like to move my wallet to a different computer (running Windows 7). Any advice on how to accomplish this?
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 03:06:02 AM

I have Bitcoin QT installed on a macbook air. Syncing takes forever, and pretty much tops out CPU usage. So I'd like to move my wallet to a different computer (running Windows 7). Any advice on how to accomplish this?
To move just the wallet, just copy over the wallet.dat. If you want to copy the blockchain, it is located somewhere around %APPDATA% (I don't know the equivalent in mac).

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
stuvwxyz99 (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 07:43:08 PM

Thanks. Is it safe to move the wallet if Bitcoin-QT is not synced? The wallet itself is up to date (no recent transactions)

I assume the steps are:

1. Install a bitcoin client on the other PC (was thinking of MultiBit so as to eliminate block chain syncing)
2. Locate wallet.dat on the macbook
3. Copy wallet.dat to a usb drive
4. find the wallet.dat on the PC, rename it, and drop in the wallet.dat from the macbook.

Is that correct?
zeta1

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 07:49:14 PM

copy the wallet.dat , but be sure the old wallet.dat is removed after you copied it to a new location
orymh

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2013, 09:27:53 PM

Thanks. Is it safe to move the wallet if Bitcoin-QT is not synced? The wallet itself is up to date (no recent transactions)

Yep, completely safe.

I assume the steps are:

1. Install a bitcoin client on the other PC (was thinking of MultiBit so as to eliminate block chain syncing)
2. Locate wallet.dat on the macbook
3. Copy wallet.dat to a usb drive
4. find the wallet.dat on the PC, rename it, and drop in the wallet.dat from the macbook.

Is that correct?

That's correct if you're going Bitcoin-Qt to Bitcoin-Qt. If you want to switch to a different client, you can either export your private keys from Bitcoin-Qt and import them into the other client, or send your Bitcoins from Bitcoin-Qt to an address generated by the new client.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: