Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:40:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Significance of port 8333?  (Read 2306 times)
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 23, 2011, 02:29:26 PM

I have Bitcoin (GUI version) running (and mining) on two machines, but can obviously only forward port 8333 to one of those.

What implications does this have for the machine without incoming connections?

Will it be able to "find" coins while mining?

Will it be able to receive coins by transactions (more precisely: will received coins be displayed without my intervention)?

Both clients are at the top of the block chain and have connections displayed in the status bar.

Will the answers be any different for "bitcoind"?

Best regards,

Andreas

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2011, 02:47:19 PM

I have Bitcoin (GUI version) running (and mining) on two machines, but can obviously only forward port 8333 to one of those.
What implications does this have for the machine without incoming connections?

It will have only 8 (outgoing) connections.

With fewer connections, it will notice new blocks a tiny bit more slowly than the other machine, and blocks it finds will propagate to the rest of the network slightly more slowly than the other machine.  So it will spend a teeny-tiny bit more time working on an out-of-date block chain, and will be a teeny-tiny bit more likely to lose "announce a new block" races.  But I bet the effects are so small you'd never notice them.

Will it be able to "find" coins while mining?
Will it be able to receive coins by transactions (more precisely: will received coins be displayed without my intervention)?
Will the answers be any different for "bitcoind"?

Yes and yes and no.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
January 23, 2011, 03:19:49 PM

Quote from: gavinandresen
Quote from: Goonie
yes
afaik only when "non-ip"-transactions are made (using bitcoin addresses).
if you send money to a specific ip, the client which the port is forwarded to will receive the coins.
(IP-payments are disabled by default (and will be removed in future versions afaik), so this isn't a big concern)

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
bfever

Activity: 39
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2011, 09:38:17 PM

It will have only 8 (outgoing) connections.

With fewer connections, it will notice new blocks a tiny bit more slowly than the other machine, and blocks it finds will propagate to the rest of the network slightly more slowly than the other machine.  So it will spend a teeny-tiny bit more time working on an out-of-date block chain, and will be a teeny-tiny bit more likely to lose "announce a new block" races.  But I bet the effects are so small you'd never notice them.

Can't you eliminate this effect by starting Bitcoin on the second machine (not getting the port forwarding requests) with the -addnode=<ip of other machine> parameter ?
In that way, this second machine will have 7 connections to the outside world and 1 to the other machine probably being connected to a lot of more nodes.
I think even using the -connect=<ip of other machine> on the second machine is enough as the connection between the two machines is probably 1000x faster and less laggy then the internet connection to other nodes.

Flow

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 02:37:43 PM

Is it not possible to forward two ports for bitcoin? E.g. 8333 and 8334 and announce this ports in the distributed database, like bittorrent does?

Flow
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12976

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 07:47:56 PM

Is it not possible to forward two ports for bitcoin? E.g. 8333 and 8334 and announce this ports in the distributed database, like bittorrent does?

No. You could modify the source to use a different port, but "stock" Bitcoin greatly prefers to connect to peers on port 8333, so it wouldn't do any good.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 09:02:41 PM

Couldn't you just force the second one to connect to the other via localhost, and benefit from the first one's connections?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
carp

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 09:31:09 PM

No. You could modify the source to use a different port, but "stock" Bitcoin greatly prefers to connect to peers on port 8333, so it wouldn't do any good.

of course, I was thinking about why this is a bad thing, all that I can come up with was to draw parallels to how tor is built.... able to specify bridge nodes, and specific IPs that you are allowed to talk on... and SSL options even chosen to try and minimize the detectability of what is going on.

Though, since bitcoin can use a tor proxy, it gets all those features. How well would it work to use a tor location hidden service as your available IP? If the client just forwards everything through the proxy, letting it do DNS lookups, then it would mean that you just wont resolve for any clients not using a tor proxy, but it should be transparent for anyone doing it.

Of course, if nodes are only advertised by IP (havn't looked at that, might have to soon) that wont work.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12976

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 09:57:02 PM

Though, since bitcoin can use a tor proxy, it gets all those features. How well would it work to use a tor location hidden service as your available IP? If the client just forwards everything through the proxy, letting it do DNS lookups, then it would mean that you just wont resolve for any clients not using a tor proxy, but it should be transparent for anyone doing it.

Bitcoin doesn't handle hostnames. You need to use Tor's MapAddress to use a hidden service (explicitly with -addnode), though this does work.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: