Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 08:32:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: NEW BITCOIN EXCHANGE
INTERESTED - 5 (35.7%)
INTERESTED IF DIFFERENT FROM EXISTING(please give details in comment) - 2 (14.3%)
NOT INTERESTED - 7 (50%)
DON T DISTURB ME - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SURVEY ON BITCOIN EXCHANGE  (Read 1057 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
papamoi (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 07:43:17 AM
Last edit: September 14, 2013, 07:55:35 AM by papamoi

Dear bitcointalkers,

after having and hear about issues with several exchanges:

we are studying the possibility to start one with the maximum services/features we can offer.

So i m trying to have a number of people who will be interested in using our services and if you have suggestion also of services you would like to have in it

thanks
arbitrage001
Legendary

Activity: 1067
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

Problem with exchange isn't service or feature. It is trust.

Mtgox is running an exchange with extremely bad service and delivery problem. Yet they are still the exchange with most volumes because they have trust.

Grim Death

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 09:26:15 AM

I agree that trust is the key factor, in the Bitcoin community there has been too many companies that have ripped off their customers.

Another key thing that needs to be worked out is a stable system that isn't going to be affected by regulations too much. I happily used intersango for a while but unfortunately they ran afoul of the British banks.
papamoi (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 12:42:40 PM

i ve modified the poll :

-if forumers can describe wich type of services they would like to have so we can work on it

thanks in advance
papamoi (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 08:46:05 AM

it seems there is little interest

so you are all happy with the existing exchange?

btc4ever

Activity: 321

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:15:53 AM

I don't believe we need another centralized exchange.   What we need is a healthy distributed network of local person 2 person exchanges with weekly meetups.  aka Satoshi Square / Buttonwood.

This is the only method I know of that completely routes around the damaged banking system, scales worldwide to every town, village, and campus and could even survive cryptocurrencies being outlawed globally -- perish the thought.

A useful thing would be to promote and organize these.   Specific activities:

1) A quality website to promote and market the idea.
  2) A fun animated video to make the idea accessible to bitcoiners and non bitcoiners alike.
  3) A listing/database of all known trading groups, times, locations.
  4) a forum for participants to exchange ideas and contribute.
  5) Provide incentives and support for individuals to start local exchange meetups
  6) Artwork, flyers and promotional material for group organizers to put up around town, or hand out at bitcoin or freedom events.
  7) Android and iOS apps for finding local exchanges and publishing trade prices.
  Cool Training materials for local organizers.
  9) Paid sponsorship, booths at bitcoin events.

So yeah, if you have the necessary resources to put into building and launching a new exchange, please consider this option instead.  Ultimately, your impact could be far larger.

As far as ongoing funding, I believe that a foundation could be setup for this purpose and it could be supported by dues and contributions.

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
btc4ever

Activity: 321

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:33:47 AM

Just to expand a little....

I know that for myself, the thing that I most liked when getting started with bitcoin and alt coins was that I did not have to ask for permission from anyone, and I did not have to give up my privacy.   All I had to do was download the software and start mining.  I tried once to use bitinstant and once to use another exchange, but stopped once I saw all the questions they were asking.  If I wanted all those nosy questions, I'd get another bank account.  And wait a second... most of the people in the world are unbanked anyway.

So to my mind any exchange system that requires the individual to give up his privacy and or that requires interacting with the banking system is a step backwards.

Add to that the fact that many/most banks ( at least in the US ) seem to want nothing to do with bitcoin.  I say.... the feeling should be mutual.

That begs the obvious question:   what are the alternatives?   localbitcoins.com is a great site, and that is how I made my first btc/fiat purchase.  But arranging a deal is a bit of a hassle.  For me, there is greater comfort in knowing that a group of people are trading every week at a fixed location, and if I wish I can just show up and trade.  Or send someone on my behalf for even greater privacy.

I may be in the minority.  But to this day I have never given up my privacy to use an online exchange, and I do not plan to.

So if you can figure out how to make your exchange cater to your customer's desire for privacy, then you may have something that is in fact, different.

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
papamoi (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 03:50:23 AM

no more votes?

papamoi (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 06:07:16 PM

UPPING