Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:53:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 8 and the nsa  (Read 1067 times)
Nik1ab (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

freedomainradio.com

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 10:33:21 AM

What do you think about that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2ZMIMrrvWE

No signature ad here, because their conditions have become annoying.
zeta1

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 11:29:06 AM

It's a shame all those companies( including microsoft) gave the facilities to do this kind of things.
Nik1ab (OP)

freedomainradio.com

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 02:14:35 PM

Not that they just make shitty operating systems, they make spying shitty operating systems...

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 02:23:43 PM

Shiiiit!!!11

Nikinger

Activity: 141

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 09:18:11 PM

As long as you do Windows updates, Microsoft is capable to put a backdoor code in it. It also applies to previous Versions, say Windows 7 and Windows XP.

My concern is TPM (Trusted Computing Module).
As far as I got TPM, it seals the operating system like a tablet, modern TV, Xbox or an iPhone, taking away the control of your own computer. On a future sealed TPM PC, running arbitrary programs likely requires you to jailbreak your own PC!

Because sealed devices like iPhone getting more and more common today, the majority of the citizens increasely accepts the loss of control as long as the App market serves all the needs of the majority population.

1EwKrY5Bn3T47r4tYqSv6mMQkUyu7hZckV
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 11:03:55 PM

As long as you do Windows updates, Microsoft is capable to put a backdoor code in it. It also applies to previous Versions, say Windows 7 and Windows XP.

My concern is TPM (Trusted Computing Module).
As far as I got TPM, it seals the operating system like a tablet, modern TV, Xbox or an iPhone, taking away the control of your own computer. On a future sealed TPM PC, running arbitrary programs likely requires you to jailbreak your own PC!

Because sealed devices like iPhone getting more and more common today, the majority of the citizens increasely accepts the loss of control as long as the App market serves all the needs of the majority population.

Well, every day I'm gladder I don't use Windows.

Cory Doctorow has a great talk about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbYXBJOFgeI

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 11:49:42 PM

What I think about Windows - and it does not matter 7 or 8 or XP - has became apparent as I have several systems that only get turned on once a week or so for different purposes. 

The amount of 'updating' that the systems do for the primary Windows system and the 'desired or required' subcomponents (java, flash, adobe) is absolutely insane.

When a system does this there is no reason to discuss anything further. 

I do not have this problem on os x or on my linux systems, and they are not optimized for security...
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:31:40 AM

Good old Microsoft.  Wink
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:03:35 AM

what do you think about giving a concise summary of the video?

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Nikinger

Activity: 141

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:21:40 AM
Last edit: September 15, 2013, 09:35:33 AM by Nikinger

TPM would work with *nix too (including Apple*OS*) because it's implemented directly in hardware. As long as TPM is enabled, you are giving up the full control of your own computer regardless which OS you use.

As soon as TPM sealed&secured devices gets widely adapted (because no one cares as long as it just works), you will be increasely run into compatibility problems if you don't downgrade (for the most peoples, it's a upgrade).

Windows 8's TPM feature is just another step to slowly adapt TPM widely on the home PC (as I said, almost nobody cares because many devices like tablets, iOS and Xbox are already sealed).

1EwKrY5Bn3T47r4tYqSv6mMQkUyu7hZckV
Nik1ab (OP)

freedomainradio.com

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:23:58 PM

TPM would work with *nix too (including Apple*OS*) because it's implemented directly in hardware. As long as TPM is enabled, you are giving up the full control of your own computer regardless which OS you use.

As soon as TPM sealed&secured devices gets widely adapted (because no one cares as long as it just works), you will be increasely run into compatibility problems if you don't downgrade (for the most peoples, it's a upgrade).

Windows 8's TPM feature is just another step to slowly adapt TPM widely on the home PC (as I said, almost nobody cares because many devices like tablets, iOS and Xbox are already sealed).

I hate this world...

lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 09:40:42 AM

I hate this world...

Come on this is the same world with open source, Bitcoin and vocaloid! Lets make it better and get rid of the shit polluting it instead of giving up on it  Grin

I got a new laptop that had windows 8 and secureboot. I deleted it and disabled secureboot on the first boot. No, No and another no for all that shit.

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
Nik1ab (OP)

freedomainradio.com

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 03:32:44 PM

I hate this world...

Come on this is the same world with open source, Bitcoin and vocaloid! Lets make it better and get rid of the shit polluting it instead of giving up on it  Grin

I got a new laptop that had windows 8 and secureboot. I deleted it and disabled secureboot on the first boot. No, No and another no for all that shit.
And how are we going to kick the NSA's ass?

lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 04:13:42 PM

I hate this world...

Squeeze them dry by breaking the current financial systems. Hashes to hashes, fiat to dust. Support wikileaks, etc.

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
Nik1ab (OP)

freedomainradio.com

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 04:24:58 PM

Nice idea, but that's what I'm already doing  Grin

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 10:25:14 PM

I hate this world...

Run a variety of virtual os systems.

Vmware, virtual box.

Under various common operating systems.

Run some thing directly from a secure thumbdrive.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: