Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:02:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does wallet need to be "open" to receive coins?  (Read 1265 times)
Supercrit (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 02:40:58 PM

What I mean is, if you put your wallet in an USB drive remove the drive, someone sends you coins while your wallet is not "online anywhere", do you receive the coins?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kinlo

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

Pool operator of Triplemining.com

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 02:42:33 PM

You do not need to be online to receive money.

Bitcoin does not verify the bitcoin address to see if it exists.  It does some checks to see if it is a possible valid adres, but you can also send money to nonexisting addresses.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 02:47:06 PM

I have a 'savings' wallet.dat I developed, put onto a thumb drive, and keep that in a safety deposit box.  It exists nowhere near the Internet, and never has.  I had to hand write the first receiving address, so that I could add that to my addressbook on mybitcoin.com, but once entered, I can 'deposit' to that address as many times as I would like.  What can't be done is spend coins from that address without getting the usb drive out of the bank and loading that wallet.dat back into a client.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Supercrit (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 02:48:18 PM

If it sends to non existing address then the coins are lost forever?
kinlo

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 02:51:56 PM

Correct.
Supercrit (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 03:10:59 PM

Hmm after more than 3 hours still can't see the coins i've mined in bitcoin
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 03:13:00 PM

New coins take 100 blocks to 'mature', if you are mining solo.  The client won't let you use them until then.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Supercrit (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 03:15:37 PM

I'm pooling in slush's pool, and the coins are already sent since more than 3 hours ago, no way i'm soloing with a single 5770 lol.
kinlo

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 03:19:05 PM

The  most frequent reason why you are not seeing your bitcoins is that you do not have the complete blockchain.  In your bitcoin client, right lower corner there should be something that says Blocks: <number>

This number must be the current global blockcount, so at the moment it should be at least 136582 If it is not this high, you probably have a connection issue
The00Dustin

Activity: 807
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 06:09:12 PM

Correct.
Not exactly.  It is possible that someone will have that address in the future, and they will get those coins.  That said, the odds are so slim that they will likely be lost for ~forever.
Supercrit (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 10:36:17 PM

The  most frequent reason why you are not seeing your bitcoins is that you do not have the complete blockchain.  In your bitcoin client, right lower corner there should be something that says Blocks: <number>

This number must be the current global blockcount, so at the moment it should be at least 136582 If it is not this high, you probably have a connection issue

What's that problem? I see 80k ish blocks right now, I did open ports for mining, does it need another port open?
The00Dustin

Activity: 807

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 03:48:34 AM

What's that problem? I see 80k ish blocks right now, I did open ports for mining, does it need another port open?
I'm not 100% certain this is right, but here:
How many connections does bitcoin show?  If it shows none, the count won't go up, if it shows few, it won't go up very fast.  Just like anything else p2p (bitcoin is peer to peer, like Napster was, along withm any other better services that died due to their centralized nature).  It is most likely listening on 8333, so if you forward port 8333 (TCP and UDP) to your computer on your router, then other peers can connect to you instead of you only connecting to them, leading to more connections and hopefully the blocks you're missing.
In your case this may be allow it in yoru firewall vs forward it on your router (or it could be both).
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 04:21:05 AM

The wallet doesn't hold any coins, the coins are in the blockchain, the wallet only got the keys needed to spend them

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
kinlo

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 08:03:32 AM

If you see about 80000 blocks you just don't have the blockchain yet.  But it seems to be downloading so the only thing you need to be doing is being patient
Donald_Norman

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 05:46:31 PM

yes you receive the coins
Donald_Norman

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 05:47:33 PM

you could even send to an address that no one has or ever will have access to (your USB gets damaged) and then those coins are gone forever but people can see them in the address and not touch them
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: